★ |[How-To]| | ROOT NK3 | KEEP KNOX 0x0 | The EffortLess Way | Rooting | 26NOV14 ★

Search This thread

megapixle

Jul 3, 2008
Can somebody tell me what the strategy is for handling future updates from T-Mobile? Must we reject the update, un-root, and then accept the update?

CravingMender9

Jun 6, 2011
Charlotte
www.rahulisola.com
Can somebody tell me what the strategy is for handling future updates from T-Mobile? Must we reject the update, un-root, and then accept the update?

Yes. You can do that. But you'll lose root and may not be able to root again (and keep knox 0x0).
Better strategy will be to wait for people here to split up the update files (usually takes 1-2 hrs after the update is up) and follow the same procedure mentioned here.

barfingmonkey

Nov 11, 2010
I'm on NF1?
I followed the instructions, but how can I be on NF1?

Thanks!
___
I can't flash to ne6, I'm still rooted though, any insight as to what I'm doing wrong?
___
Oh, I'm on nf1, and I have to be on nf9.

Wait, I thought this was to get on nf9?

Last edited:

GregL

Jul 1, 2010
The Outer Rim
I'm on NF9 and rooted using towel root method will I need to unroot before I do the update , also update here or through my update notification

effortless

Feb 11, 2007
Philadelphia
I'm on NF9 and rooted using towel root method will I need to unroot before I do the update , also update here or through my update notification
If you're on NF9, there isn't another update. If you are referring to a future update, I can't answer that as I don't know what they will do in the update.

I'd recommend not taking any update OTA and coming back to this thread to see the procedure you should follow then. It most likely will be similar to someone updating from NF1 to NF9 (which are the exact steps in this thread), but that could change in the future.

Reactions: GregL

effortless

Feb 11, 2007
Philadelphia
I'm on NF1?
I followed the instructions, but how can I be on NF1?

Thanks!
___
I can't flash to ne6, I'm still rooted though, any insight as to what I'm doing wrong?
___
Oh, I'm on nf1, and I have to be on nf9.

Wait, I thought this was to get on nf9?
I'm not sure what problems you're experiencing, but just follow the steps I've outlined. You do have to Odin flash to the latest NF9 update prior to downgrading just your kernel to NE6 and then running towelroot and then upgrading the kernel back to NF9.

Reactions: GregL

GregL

Jul 1, 2010
The Outer Rim
If you're on NF9, there isn't another update. If you are referring to a future update, I can't answer that as I don't know what they will do in the update.

I'd recommend not taking any update OTA and coming back to this thread to see the procedure you should follow then. It most likely will be similar to someone updating from NF1 to NF9 (which are the exact steps in this thread), but that could change in the future.

I meant NF4 sorry should I unroot first before updating to NF9

barfingmonkey

Nov 11, 2010
I'm not sure what problems you're experiencing, but just follow the steps I've outlined. You do have to Odin flash to the latest NF9 update prior to downgrading just your kernel to NE6 and then running towelroot and then upgrading the kernel back to NF9.

this is what i see in odin
tbTgtL.png
[/URL][/IMG]

barfingmonkey

Nov 11, 2010
How many pics did you post? I see one that looks like Odin did it's job and restarted. What issue are you having?
Just the one, it never flashes, I load up the nf9 file, click on start, Odin does what is in the image, the phone reboots, no change in the phone.

No biggie though, I just thought someone might see what the issue was in Odin.

I'll be getting the note 4 soon, I was just trying to get the latest.

I'll use your guide to flash the phone back to stock.

Thanks!

Last edited:

MSNemitz

May 9, 2014
Akron, Ohio
www.AMNClothing.com
How many pics did you post? I see one that looks like Odin did it's job and restarted. What issue are you having?

Hey Effortless,

I got the ROM, been running great for a few weeks. Only issue Im having is for some reason my keyboard doesnt auto correct or puncuate anything anymore, never realized hiw bad of a typer I am u til it quit working. I checked the settings and everything is enabled. Im sure its nothing on tje ROM emd but curious if you have any solutions

oldmoney

Sep 15, 2010
thanks you so much. i followed the instruction and ended up well but if i later decided to flash custom recovery am i okay with this root method or do i have to root via cf root method? Thanks for all your effort op.

effortless

Feb 11, 2007
Philadelphia
thanks you so much. i followed the instruction and ended up well but if i later decided to flash custom recovery am i okay with this root method or do i have to root via cf root method? Thanks for all your effort op.

You can install custom recovery with this root method, but you will trip Knox once you flash a custom recovery or a custom kernel.

effortless

Feb 11, 2007
Philadelphia
Hey Effortless,

I got the ROM, been running great for a few weeks. Only issue Im having is for some reason my keyboard doesnt auto correct or puncuate anything anymore, never realized hiw bad of a typer I am u til it quit working. I checked the settings and everything is enabled. Im sure its nothing on tje ROM emd but curious if you have any solutions

I'm sorry, I don't know what would cause that. I hope you have figured it out by now. I know some xposed mods in the past that would allow for autocorrect anywhere would cause that issue and the only way to fix was to fully wipe your phone (disabling the mod didn't help) or use a different keyboard. Have you installed anything like that recently?

drExel

Feb 4, 2007
Bronx, Ny
This was effortless

Thank you, effortless. Just wanted to report I was able to update to N900TUVUDNF9. Originally using UVMBNC4, rooted/stock w/Knox 0x0 (back then, I had to inject root into the update rom manually during the flashing process just to preserve root and not trip Knox).

I still have KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 0x0

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ★ |[How-To]| | ROOT NK3 | KEEP KNOX 0x0 | The EffortLess Way | Rooting | 26NOV14 ★

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you do not care about KNOX and want a custom recovery or custom ROM installed in addition to root- Go to my other thread here! A custom ROM or custom recovery WILL trip your KNOX to 0x1 (this is irreversible and KNOX will cease to function on your phone forever and ever and ever) :crying:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** **************************************************
    Welcome to ROOT with KNOX 0x0 the EffortLess Way!!
    This is a quick and easy way to root the N900T T-Mobile Note 3 with the full stock N900TUVUENK3 update installed!

This guide will assist you in rooting full stock N900TUVUENK3 without tripping KNOX :D (preserving 0x0)
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** **************************************************​
    NOTE: You will need to be updated to the full stock N900TUVUENK3 firmware before proceeding!

If you need to update to N900TUVUENK3 and are on a stock firmware that has not been rooted yet:
    1. Use the built-in Over The Air (OTA) software updater in your phone settings to check for an update then follow the instructions to update.
    2. After booting up, check for an update again and confirm there are none and that you are on firmware N900TUVUENK3 before proceeding to the "EffortLess Rooting Guide" below.
    If you are updating from any prior rooted stock firmware (basically, you've used this guide before but need to update) you will need to follow these steps:
    1. Download EffortLess ROM Prep.zip and Full Stock NK3.zip
    2. Unzip both files
    3. Turn off your phone and then hold the Volume Down, Home Button, and Power Button at the same time, when the phone vibrates, let go of Power Button. Press Volume Up to continue past the "Warning!!" screen.
    4. Open the EffortLess ROM Prep folder and double click on EffortLess Odin.exe
    5. Connect your phone to the computer via USB cable (one of the boxes under ID:COM in Odin will fill with a com number and turn baby blue meaning it can communicate with your phone.. if it does not, unplug your phone and run EffortLess Odin USB Driver.exe from the EffortLess ROM Prep unzipped folder. Now plug your phone in again and it should load the driver and the box should turn baby blue and display a com number)
    6. Click the PDA button and navigate to the unzipped Full Stock NK3 folder, click on N900TUVUENK3_N900TTMBENK3_N900TUVUENK3_HOME.tar.md5 and click Open
    7. Wait for the file to load properly in Odin, it will take a minute and you'll see a check-mark to the left of the PDA button and the system path of the NK3 file to the right.
    8. Now click start and wait, don't touch anything until after your phone restarts.

Now go to menu, settings, General tab, and click About device and verify the Baseband version AND Build Number are N900TUVUENK3

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** **************************************************​
    EffortLess Rooting Guide
    This method will revert the kernel back to the Samsung stock NE6 kernel (that is vulnerable to the towelroot method). Then you will use towelroot to root. Finally, you will flash back the NK3 kernel and enjoy root on your stock NF3 phone!

This process should take approximately 5 minutes and will not erase any files on your phone.

First download and install towelroot on your phone]:
    Navigate to towelroot on your phone (once at the site, click the main center logo) and install the downloaded app (do not open the app and click make it ra1n yet).

Then download EffortLessRootPrep.zip on your Windows computer and unzip it.

Flashing NE6 Kernel
    1. Turn off your phone and then hold the Volume Down, Home Button, and Power Button at the same time, when the phone vibrates, let go of Power Button. Press Volume Up to continue past the "Warning!!" screen.
    2. Open the EffortLess Root Prep folder and double click on EffortLess Odin.exe
    3. Connect your phone to the computer via USB cable (one of the boxes under ID:COM in Odin will fill with a com number and turn baby blue meaning it can communicate with your phone.. if it does not, unplug your phone and run EffortLess Odin USB Driver.exe from the EffortLess Root Prep unzipped folder. Now plug your phone in again and it should load the driver and the box should turn baby blue and display a com number)
    4. Click the PDA button and navigate to the unzipped EffortLess Root Prep folder, click on N900TUVUDNE6_KERNEL.tar.md5 and click Open
    5. Wait for the file to load properly in Odin, it will take a minute and you'll see a check-mark to the left of the PDA button and the system path of the root file to the right.
    6. Now click start and wait, don't touch anything until after your phone restarts.

Running towelroot
    1. Once your phone boots up, open the towelroot app and click "make it ra1n".
    2. Wait ten seconds and then reboot your phone. (I know it says reboot is not required, do it anyway)
    3. Open SuperSU (if it's not in your app drawer, download it from the play store) and if it asks to update the binary, choose the normal method. (if it says installation failed, just try again or try again after you flash back to NK3, it's normal and it'll be updated)
    4. When it mentions disabling KNOX, click ok (this will not trip KNOX, it will simply disable it for the time being.. If you want to use KNOX while rooted, don't disable it in SuperSU). NOTE: if it hangs disabling KNOX don't worry. Turn off your phone and proceed to the next step. After flashing the NK3 Kernel back, open SuperSU and disable KNOX and it should work within a few seconds.

Flashing NK3 Kernel back
    1. Turn off your phone and then hold the Volume Down, Home Button, and Power Button at the same time, when the phone vibrates, let go of Power Button. Press Volume Up to continue past the "Warning!!" screen.
    3. Connect your phone to the computer via USB cable (one of the boxes under ID:COM in Odin will fill with a com number and turn baby blue meaning it can communicate with your phone.. if it does not, unplug your phone and run EffortLess Odin USB Driver.exe from the EffortLess Root Prep unzipped folder. Now plug your phone in again and it should load the driver and the box should turn baby blue and display a com number)
    4. Click the PDA button and navigate to the unzipped EffortLess Root Prep folder, click on N900TUVUENK3_KERNEL.tar.md5 and click Open
    5. Wait for the file to load properly in Odin, it will take a minute and you'll see a check-mark to the left of the PDA button and the system path of the root file to the right.
    6. Now click start and wait, don't touch anything until after your phone restarts.

You can uninstall the towelroot app after you're are finished.

If this helped, please click the "Thanks" button! :good:

| Let me know you like it :highfive: Donate to show your support |

Thanks to:
    @geohot for making towelroot
    and special thanks @toastito for getting me the stock Odin flashable kernels!
    This worked for me! Followed your steps and I now have root with Knox counter 0x0. Thank you for the guide! The only issue I had was while updating the Super SU binaries I received an "installation failed" message after updating and disabling knox, but after flashing back to the NF4 kernel I had root and Super SU works fine. You might want to add something to the guide so people know this is normal. :good:

Thanks for the feedback _bhaves_! I'll be adjusting the guide as I get more feedback. I was only able to test this twice as my phone is already KNOX 0x1 and I had limited time with the KNOX 0x0 phone. I concentrated on ensuring KNOX would stay 0x0 during my testing. I had different results than you regarding installing the binaries. Now I feel that running SuperSU and updating it and disabling KNOX should be done after flashing back to NF4 kernel. I feel the reboot clears stuff up and enables SuperSU to function more fluidly. I'll change it to that and await further feedback.
    Updated for N900TUVUENK3

Will the OP be giving instructions on how to take the new update N900TUVUDNK3?
    Do we even need it since the log says Chinese language support?

Also what is the preferred way to unroot if you used OP method?

Thanks for your reply in advance :)

I've updated the guide for NK3, do not worry about unrooting as flashing the full stock will do so for you. Follow the guide and you will be ok.

There are many changes that are not reflected in the TMO changelogs. I couldn't tell you what has been changed, but I'd recommend flashing.
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** **************************************************
    Welcome to ROOT with KNOX 0x0 the EffortLess Way!!
    This is a quick and easy way to root the N900T T-Mobile Note 3 with the full stock NF4 update installed!
    This guide will assist you in rooting NF4 without tripping KNOX (preserving 0x0)

Only proceed with this guide if you want root and do not want a custom recovery or custom ROM installed!

NOTE: You will need to be updated to the full stock NF4 ROM before proceeding!
    If you need to update to NF4, use the EffortLess Guide and stop after the "For full N900TUVUDNF4 stock:" section, steps 1-8. (DO NOT proceed to root or flash a custom recovery in that thread) then come back here.

This method will revert the kernel back to the Samsung stock NE6 kernel (that is vulnerable to the towelroot method). Then you will use towelroot to root. Finally, you will flash back the NF4 kernel and enjoy root on your stock NF4 phone!

This process should take approximately 5 minutes and will not erase any files on your phone.

First download towelroot (once at the site, click the main center logo) on your phone and install the app (do not click make it ra1n yet).

Then download EffortLessRootPrep.zip on your Windows computer and unzip it.

Rooting NF4 (Flashing NE6 Kernel)
    4. Click the PDA button and navigate to the unzipped EffortLess Root Prep folder, click on N900TUVUDNE6_KERNEL.tar.md5 and click Open

Rooting NF4 (Running towelroot)
    1. Once your phone boots up, open the towelroot app and click "make it ra1n".
    2. Wait ten seconds and then reboot your phone. (I know it says reboot is not required, do it anyway)
    3. Open SuperSU (if it's not in your app drawer, download it from the play store) and if it asks to update the binary, choose the normal method. (if it says installation failed, just try again or try again after you flash back to NF4, it's normal and it'll be updated)
    4. When it mentions disabling KNOX, click ok (this will not trip KNOX, it will simply disable it for the time being.. If you want to use KNOX while rooted, don't disable it in SuperSU). NOTE: if it hangs disabling KNOX don't worry. Turn off your phone and proceed to the next step. After flashing the NF4 Kernel back, open SuperSU and disable KNOX and it should work within a few seconds.

Rooting NF4 (Flashing NF4 Kernel back)
    4. Click the PDA button and navigate to the unzipped EffortLess Root Prep folder, click on N900TUVUDNF4_KERNEL.tar.md5 and click Open

You can uninstall the towelroot app after you're are finished.

If this helped, please click the "Thanks" button! :good:

| Let me know you like it :highfive: Donate to show your support |

Thanks to:
    @geohot for making towelroot
    and special thanks @toastito for getting me the stock Odin flashable kernels at short notice while I was away from my workstation!

I really wish this had came out when started rooting my Note. I had to send my phone out to Samsung and had to pay to have it fixed :(
    If I'm already on rooted NF1 with towelroot, is there a way to do OTA update to NF4 while preserving root? Or am I required to follow the steps with Odin? If so, can I do it with Mobile Odin like I did for NF1 (Knox 0x0)? Thanks
    Mobile Odin Pro doesn't update the bootloader, so you're not on full NF1. There are other phone apps that will update the boot loader but you didn't mention using them.

You can try the root preserving apps. You choose the preserve root option, then unroot and take the OTA, then attempt root again with said app. They don't always work.

My guide will keep knox 0x0 and you will update to the full NF4 including the boot loader. It will take about 5 minutes after you download the files (even if you're unfamiliar with desktop Odin.. it's very simple). There's little that can go wrong, so I would suggest this method to everyone.