Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,019 Members 51,618 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HOWTO: unlimited USB tethering for t-mobile - no installation of apps needed

Tip us?

eudemonics
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
Default HOWTO: unlimited USB tethering for t-mobile - no installation of apps needed

this is working with:

samsung note 3, rooted, running stock ROM
macbook pro running OSX 10.8.5 mountain lion

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-08-30 at 12.02.00 AM.png
Views:	417
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	2917815

directions are for OSX, sorry - i'll try this out on windows and linux later and update.

i'm not quite sure which of these are required, so i'll list them all:

1) setup a new APN on your phone with the following:

[go to settings >> connections >> more networks >> mobile networks >> access point names]

APN: fast.tmobile.com
MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
MCC: 310
MNC: 260
APN type: dun,default,mms,fota,supl,hipri,admin
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Bearer: LTE

now select the new APN, reboot your phone if it doesn't connect.

**i DID edit the /system/csc/customer.xml file to change a few of the APN settings, like changing the APN protocol from ipv6 to ipv4, making profiles editable, etc. - you need root to do this - but changing that file shouldn't be required

2) i haven't tested this out on windows or linux yet. you might have to install the USB drivers to create a new connection.

connect your phone via USB. in OSX, go to network preferences, click on the (+) to add a new interface, then select SAMSUNG_Android from the list of interfaces. i would assume in windows and linux you'd just create a new dialup connection, then use whatever the phone shows up as the name for the modem/interface - but i'll go back to this later.

make sure the telephone number is *99#
user and password you can leave blank

click on "advanced.." and configure advanced settings:

vendor: generic
model/connection type: GPRS (GSM/3G)
APN: fast.t-mobile.com

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-08-30 at 12.15.30 AM.png
Views:	396
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	2917816

DNS: set to whatever DNS servers you want, or leave blank to go with t-mobile's (though i don't recommend that) - i use dnscrypt so mine is 127.0.0.54 but that won't work for you - here's a couple free/uncensored/unlogged DNS servers from censurfridns: 89.233.43.71, 89.104.194.142

PPP echo packets OFF (unchecked)
TCP header compression ON (checked)

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-08-30 at 12.16.02 AM.png
Views:	388
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	2917817

now click "apply" to save the settings, then "connect"!

i always use a VPN - if you get any t-mobile tethering upsell pages, you can use a VPN to encrypt all your traffic, or set your browser's user agent to Safari on OSX to get around it. so far i haven't run into any issues like that, and it's pretty fast.. i get anywhere between 15 - 30 Mbps. here's a screenshot from speedtest.net connecting directly:

Name:	speedtest1.png
Views:	412
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	2917818
~*~

MY DEVICES:
Oneplus One 64gb - rooted, stock CyanogenMod Android 4.4.2. running Kali Linux 1.0.6 in Linux Deploy.
T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - rooted, stock Android 4.4.2, baseband NE6, obknoxious 0x0.
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 - rooted, stock Android 4.1.3, de-odexed, running Kali Linux 1.0.6 in Linux Deploy.
T-Mobile HTC Amaze 4G [retired] - rooted, BulletProof 2.3.4 Gingerbread ROM
The Following User Says Thank You to eudemonics For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Scartaris12
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Any updates for Windows 8.1?

Gimik
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Unlimited as in not counting towards your phone data limit? Or unlimited as in not counting towards your tethering data limit?
The Following User Says Thank You to Gimik For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
mac osx, note 3, t-mobile, tethering, usb