Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,966 Members 42,041 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

"OK Google" Detection Kills Voice Recording

Tip us?

Morningstar
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 102
Default "OK Google" Detection Kills Voice Recording

Sometime in the past 48 hours, I got the new option in Google Now to enable the "OK Google" hotword detection from any screen, so of course I went ahead and turned it on, and have been loving it.

A little while ago, I went to record something with the stock Voice Recorder (which unfortunately is something I do quite often), and it won't record. It gives me a message "Unable to start a new recording. Other applications already recording". So I go back into Google, disable the hotword detection from any screen, and look and behold, Voice Recorder works again.

I haven't tried any other recording apps yet to see if they have the same conflict, but I intend to shortly. I just figured I'd let others know about the issue. It seems like a huge oversight on Google's part that such a highly anticipated feature would break one of the stock functions on a popular flagship device. Hopefully they push a fix soon, or someone here finds a way around the problem....

Sent from my SM-N900T
~astra petas~

phil.culler
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Just checked, mine too. Fortunately, I have never had a need to use voice recorder.
Phone: HTC One M8
ROM: Stock
Radio: stock
Kernel: Stock
Recovery: stock

Tablet : Nexus 7 (2012)
ROM: Stock (at the moment)

~~~RETIRED~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Jumped
Samsung GS2 T989 - Retired
T-Mobile G2 - Died
Mytouch 3g Slide - Returned Junk
Mytouch 3g - Died

mrej201
Old
Thanks Meter 100
how do you make it work did you get a update

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningstar View Post
Sometime in the past 48 hours, I got the new option in Google Now to enable the "OK Google" hotword detection from any screen, so of course I went ahead and turned it on, and have been loving it.

A little while ago, I went to record something with the stock Voice Recorder (which unfortunately is something I do quite often), and it won't record. It gives me a message "Unable to start a new recording. Other applications already recording". So I go back into Google, disable the hotword detection from any screen, and look and behold, Voice Recorder works again.

I haven't tried any other recording apps yet to see if they have the same conflict, but I intend to shortly. I just figured I'd let others know about the issue. It seems like a huge oversight on Google's part that such a highly anticipated feature would break one of the stock functions on a popular flagship device. Hopefully they push a fix soon, or someone here finds a way around the problem....

Sent from my SM-N900T

hey i want to get that on my note 3 how does it work
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-allen View Post
Amazing how a a handfull of Devs on here can accomplish more in a weekend then a multiBillion Dollar company can in 6 months.

Morningstar
Old
(Last edited by Morningstar; 30th June 2014 at 12:58 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrej201 View Post
how do you make it work did you get a update
---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------
I assume you mean the hotword detection? Google is enabling it randomly, account by account (at least that's my understanding). If you really can't wait, there's an app called 'UnleashTheGoogle' that allows you to enable it via debug/developer options. Google it.

Sent from my SM-N900T
~astra petas~

mrej201
Old
Thanks Meter 100
Quote:
I assume you mean the hotword detection? Google is enabling it randomly, account by account (at least that's my understanding). If you really can't wait, there's an app called 'UnleashTheGoogle' that allows you to enable it via debug/developer options. Google it.

Sent from my SM-N900T
thanx and yea i want the feature for so long
Quote:
Amazing how a a handfull of Devs on here can accomplish more in a weekend then a multiBillion Dollar company can in 6 months.

Morningstar
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 102
Yeah, just search for 'unleashthegoogle'. I used it on another device, and it's quite easy and only takes a few seconds, but I don't remember exactly what you have to enable off the top of my head, so search for the apk and the instructions.

Sent from my SM-N900T
~astra petas~

mrej201
Old
Thanks Meter 100
Quote:

Sent from my SM-N900T
try the app but it wont work
Quote:

CravingMender9
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil.culler View Post
Just checked, mine too. Fortunately, I have never had a need to use voice recorder.
Hmm, this is interesting (and not good at all).
Did anyone try this with call recording?

One fix I can think of before Google fixes it, have a Tasker / Xposed module that disables Google Search when the whitelisted (recording) apps are running. Can some dev confirm this?

I don't have the update yet and unleashthegoogle doesnt seem to work. So can't test.
Note 3, You Beast

andrewnelson23
Old
Thanks Meter 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrej201 View Post
try the app but it wont work
https://plus.google.com/app/basic/st...tbp1mb2j3qb204

This post describes how to do it. I just did it. Interesting that it disables recording voice. I wonder if it breaks video recording audio...

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Free mobile app

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

I tested the voice on my video recording and it didn't break that. It works fine. I even said the hot word, okay google, and it was fine. Also, the Google keyboard seems to work fine with dictating words as well. I'm dictating this right now.

To the guy above me that's a really good idea, blacklisting Google during certain apps.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Free mobile app

Morningstar
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 102
I just tried a few things, and the only thing I've found that it breaks is the stock Voice Recorder app. Camera audio recording works, two guitar tuner apps I have work, and the three 3rd party voice recording apps I tried all work flawlessly. One of them lets you select which microphone to record from, and all those options work fine as well. I haven't tried with call recording, as it's not something I use, but i would imagine it works fine, since hotword detection is (presumably) disabled during a call.

The Tasker idea is a damn good one, and I may just set something like that up in a while. What I'd like to know now, is if the same problem exists on other Samsung devices, or if it's just the Note 3 that's affected...

Sent from my SM-N900T
~astra petas~