Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,421 Members 39,155 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Telemarketers now hijacking REAL/USERS numbers!

Tip us?

SRT102JZ
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Exclamation Telemarketers now hijacking REAL/USERS numbers!

anybody else receiving telemarketer calls using/hijacking cell #'s that are in use by someone?

yesterday here in Austin, TX, 08/20/14, around 6:55pm CST , i received a call on my T-Mo Note 3 here in Austin, TX from a local number,512 area code same as mine.I only answered because it was a local Austin number i picked it up. I also have caller ID and still picked up even though the name didn't look at all familiar.
I picked it up and it was some automated crap about winning a cruise and blah blah so i hung up, I decided to call the number back to see what id get and to my surprise a normal average person answered. while they were quite rude to me at first but I did explain to them the situation whether they believed me or not, they claimed to have no idea what in the hell i was talking about. I even sent them a screenshot of the call log but it made no difference to them. We did exchange a few heated text messages after the brief phone conversation haha but whatever.

No further trouble until today, i received yet ANOTHER local call with a 512 number whose caller id name I don't recognize. this time the automated message was in Spanish. once more I hung up and redialed the number. No surprise they didn't answer but text back and thought I was full of **** as well until i sent the call log screenshot.

anyways i just wanted to give a heads up to all my fellow TMO users since i doubt its just the Note 3 this is happening to. Not sure what the purpose of this potential scam is but its highly annoying to me when I cannot afford to not answer unknown local 512 area coes with my work.

anybody else experience this yet?

I don't think adding the numbers to the reject list will matter since each time they call its from the same '512-905' prefix but the last four are always different.

Mega Montana
Old
Thanks Meter 124
Yes actually I kept getting calls from an unknown name but a local area code phone number and missed the calls about 3 times but they never left a vm. Finally was able to answer it on a weekend when the same number popped up and it was....Sirius/XM satellite radio trying to get me to come back. Well, there not located in my local area and additionally, the person on the phone was obviously not even in the U.S.A. So why the local area code? Must be something with the phone companies so that people do pick up so they pay extra to be able to do that. I imagine with a lot of long distance calls routing through the internet now, the area code assigned to phone numbers has become meaningless.

SRT102JZ
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
just another way for them to get around the "do not call list." damn con artists is what they are.

d12unk13astard
Old
Thanks Meter 630
i just ignore em if i dont recognize the number, especially if its not in my area code.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Current Device: T-Mobile Note 3 (SM-N900T)

Past Devices:

Sprint Note 2 (L900) - Hanging on to
Sprint Galaxy S2 - Sold
T-Mobile G2X (P-999) - Sold
T-Mobile Mytouch4G - Sold
T-Mobile G1 (Dream) - Sold
The Following User Says Thank You to d12unk13astard For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

siralsmooth
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Use the built in call block function. I have about 20 numbers in mine, all saved under a-holes, all ignored.

Sent from my SM-T800 using XDA Premium HD app
Current Devices

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 32GB/64GB SD - 4.3 TW Jellybean
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 16GB
Nexus 7 Grouper - 4.3 AOSP Jellybean
Tronsmart MK908 Mini PC - Finless ROM

Old Devices

HP Touchpad 64GB/1.8OC - 4.3 AOSP Jellybean
HP Touchpad 32GB -CM9
Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 -Boeffla 4.4 - KitKat
Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc - Jellybean
Motorola MPx220 * Sony Ericsson W800i * Sony Ericsson W810
Sony Ericsson K790i - Brown * Nokia N82 * Nokia N96 * Apple iPhone 3GS - Red

x0rsw1tch
Old
Thanks Meter 1
There are a lot of different Caller ID spoofing methods, this is just another one of those. CNAM/CID-ATN is not difficult to spoof, but many telemarketers/spammers will employ different methods of hiding who they are in an attempt to trick you into answering the phone.

Here's a quick list:

- random numbers from different areas codes, calling back the TN is usually disconnected.
- All zeroes.
- Unknown/Witheld
- Your phone number (yes this does happen, albeit rare).

As far as the do not call list is concerned, it's practically useless nowadays.
Samsung Galaxy Note III : HTC Doubleshot : Sony Xperia MiniPro

quickxone
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Its a number cloning machine

I know a guy who used to sell things by phone and he have a machine to clone wathever number he wants when he sell, and he can clone even public institutions numbers (irs, banks or so) to press his customers to pay. I actually dont see how this happens but i think that this is what is happening to you.