New update out for Canadian Note 3 N900W8VLU2DOC4

Search This thread

odeccacccp

Dec 20, 2011
Bradford West Gwillimbury
Hey

I'm having troubles with dropped calls and disconnects from Rogers network. currently I installed temeseks LP 5.1.1 custom ROM. This was a clean install and I also upgraded my baseband to Rogers doc4. Everything works except the call quality. Could it be because my bootloader is NA7? Should I upgrade to doc4 bootloader as well?

Yes.
But your problems are aosp rom, signal been bad for me always there.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using XDA Free mobile app

prasanthlt

Jan 4, 2008
Hi!

Anyone has rooted the N900W8VLU2DOC4 version? If yes, how does it goes?

Yea i rooted the N900W8VLU2DOC4 version

1) Use Odin and place twrp-2.8.6.0-hlte-4.4.img.tar in AP
2) Then place UPDATE-SuperSU-2.46.zip in your internal or external drive
3) Power off your device and boot into recovery by pressing volume up+power+home key
4) Press install and find UPDATE-SuperSU-2.46.zip and install.
5) Reboot your device and your phone is rooted :D

thykhin

Feb 11, 2013
Since there's no 5.0 update for N900W8 version in Trinidad and Tobaco, I wanted to ask if there's an official 5.0 update for other countries that will work on my N900W8 TTT CSC.

msiddiqu

Jan 7, 2012
mississauga
9 hours?

hi @jcadduono do you have a link of this firmware on mega or somewhere else? this rapid gator is taking 9 hours mate....:crying:

I am running NB7 firmware and i need this one to use the latest lollipop ROMS, also if I am coming from NB7 base would this below method be enough to fully upgrade to DOC4?

appreciated!:)

Ok, the file you have there ending in _HOME.tar.md5 contains the full firmware upgrade including bootloader (mbn files), baseband (modem), ROM (system, kernel, and recovery), and CSC (written to cache for recovery to apply to system and give you proper carrier apps and access point names for data/phone operation). If you want everything in one go, including the bootloader upgrade, you may want to backup everything from your phone's internal storage first. I'm not sure you would want to use mobile Odin for an entire firmware upgrade operation, and you'd especially want to have an actual desktop Odin available in case anything goes wrong to recover. (it's also not recommended by Chainfire to use on LP yet)
Odin 3.09 for Windows

New: Cold boot your phone into Odin by removing your battery and USB cable, then waiting 5 seconds, reinsert your battery and do VolDown + Home + Power to boot directly into Odin from OFF. Once Odin is started, you can insert your USB cable. Some people have had issues where bootloader and/or modem wouldn't upgrade without a cold boot.

This *should* be sufficient to upgrade fully to DOC4:
8db9e4e672.png

then press Start. It would likely upgrade the bootloader even without the "Phone Bootloader Update" box checked

Once it's finished, it will reboot your phone and start installing the CSC. I would recommend going back into recovery after that completes by using VolUp+Home+Power buttons, then using wipe data/factory reset. I don't think it's entirely necessary, but it should save you from any issues caused by previous settings on KK firmware.

Once you boot up, go through the wizard until you reach your home screen. Open up the dialer and call *#1234# - this will open up a version info dialog, telling you which version your ROM (AP), baseband (CP), and carrier data (CSC) are. Make sure they're all ending in DOC4! If they aren't, get back to me. If you want to check your bootloader version as well, get Phone INFO Samsung from Google Play and go to the firmware tab in it. I don't know how to check it from dialer. I am fairly sure the DOC4 bootloader can be downgraded (it's a Canadian tradition) although it WILL trip Knox on downgrade (do any carriers here actually care?) so I wouldn't be afraid to use it.

IF you want to upgrade and be sure that the bootloader is not included in the upgrade, you will need the tools to create Odin flashable firmware files.
DISCLAIMER: I have no clue if LP will run on KK bootloader, you would have to confirm!
img2tar.7z
Extract that and you will find the folder img2tar, inside of it are a bunch of folders that you can fill up with files extracted from the _HOME.tar.md5 (using 7-zip). I've placed empty files in ap, bl, csc, and cp folders to tell you which file goes where. All you have to do after placing them is run the .bat files to generate the tar.md5's.
If you wish to forgo the bootloader, don't use make-bl.bat.
When using Odin with these generated tar.md5's, this is how you will fill it out before pressing Start:
64abd09874.png

I still recommend doing a factory reset via STOCK recovery with both methods.

Once you've confirmed everything seems ok, you can install TWRP easily from Odin using only the AP box with this TWRP recovery flashable tar.
Rooting can easily be done by putting recovery flashable zip latest SuperSU on your internal storage or sdcard, then flashing that from TWRP.

Issues I've run into while firmware upgrading:
Modem doesn't upgrade - reflash CP file from last step only. If that doesn't work, reflash both CP and BL (modem might require new bootloader).
Modem & bootloader don't upgrade - COLD BOOT: remove all power from phone (unplug, remove battery) then reinsert battery and do volDown+Home+Power to get into Odin, then insert USB cable.
Infinite length loading screen, never boots - data partition is blank or incompatible with ROM, boot into STOCK recovery and wipe data/factory reset to fix. (if you used NAND Erase All in Odin this will happen)
T-mobile boot logo - CSC flash failed (you have no carrier data), reinstall stock recovery and carrier data by reflashing AP and CSC through Odin.
Phone doesn't show up in Odin COMs - No Samsung drivers installed - download them here.
EMERGENCY RE-PARTITION FILE - DO NOT USE THIS unless you are somehow bricked but still able to access Odin through VolDown+Home+Power. Use in Odin with _HOME.tar.md5 in AP slot, Re-Partition, PIT file in slot.

jcadduono

Recognized Developer
Jan 17, 2014
Thunder Bay
adduono.com
hi @jcadduono do you have a link of this firmware on mega or somewhere else? this rapid gator is taking 9 hours mate....:crying:

I am running NB7 firmware and i need this one to use the latest lollipop ROMS, also if I am coming from NB7 base would this below method be enough to fully upgrade to DOC4?

appreciated!:)

Hey, I'd upload the firmware in its entirety if I wasn't way out in the Ontario northwest with my limited data plan. :)
If you want to download full firmware and are on Windows, try out this program!
http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab-s/general/tool-samfirm-samsung-firmware-t2988647
Model: SM-N900W8
Region: MTA (TBaytel and MTS Allstream) / BWC (Bell) / RWC (Rogers) etc. you can just use MTA and it should retain your current CSC anyways
Auto: Checked
Click [Check Update]
It should find the latest (VLU2DOH1 at the moment), then do:
Decrypt automatically: Checked
Click [Download]
You should have the full firmware _HOME.tar.md5 file when it's finished.

If you only want to bootloader and modem, you can download them here from my Kansas City, MO server (I barely use any of my 20 TB monthly bandwidth :))
http://adduono.com/note3
If you plan on using custom ROMs, these are the only files you will need. Custom ROMs wipe /system usually, and you would be using a custom recovery most likely as well so you do not need AP or CSC.

If you need a kernel to flash (AP in Odin), I recommend Imoseyon's leanKernel-hltetmo for TouchWiz based Lollipop ROMs.
Feel free to try out my customized leanKernel builds for hltecan/N900W8 by private messaging me.
(SIO, FauxSound 3.6, Linux 3.4.109, updated Cubic, bug fixes, etc. on top of leanKernel's DriveDroid support and overclocking/interactiveX features)

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: msiddiqu

msiddiqu

Jan 7, 2012
mississauga
you rock!

its 5 minutes and already done 85% download....so once finished should i be following your guide to flash all of this? and would this package have what i needed for ODIN? like AP, CP , CSC?

Hey, I'd upload the firmware in its entirety if I wasn't way out in the Ontario northwest with my limited data plan. :)
If you want to download full firmware and are on Windows, try out this program!
http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab-s/general/tool-samfirm-samsung-firmware-t2988647
Model: SM-N900W8
Region: MTA (TBaytel and MTS Allstream) / BWC (Bell) / RWC (Rogers) etc. you can just use MTA and it should retain your current CSC anyways
Auto: Checked
Click [Check Update]
It should find the latest (VLU2DOH1 at the moment), then do:
Decrypt automatically: Checked
Click [Download]
You should have the full firmware _HOME.tar.md5 file when it's finished.

If you only want to bootloader and modem, you can download them here from my Kansas City, MO server (I barely use any of my 20 TB monthly bandwidth :))
http://adduono.com/note3
If you plan on using custom ROMs, these are the only files you will need. Custom ROMs wipe /system usually, and you would be using a custom recovery most likely as well so you do not need AP or CSC.

If you need a kernel to flash (AP in Odin), I recommend Imoseyon's leanKernel-hltetmo for TouchWiz based Lollipop ROMs.
Feel free to try out my customized leanKernel builds for hltecan/N900W8 by private messaging me.
(SIO, FauxSound 3.6, Linux 3.4.109, updated Cubic, bug fixes, etc. on top of leanKernel's DriveDroid support and overclocking/interactiveX features)

Good luck!

jcadduono

Recognized Developer
Jan 17, 2014
Thunder Bay
adduono.com
its 5 minutes and already done 85% download....so once finished should i be following your guide to flash all of this? and would this package have what i needed for ODIN? like AP, CP , CSC?

Assuming it's an _HOME.tar.md5 file all you need to do is put it in BL or AP slot in Odin and hit flash. Once that's done, take battery out, put battery back in, boot straight into Odin, and do the same thing again. I have been having to do that for some reason because modem doesn't wanna stick first time during a BL upgrade. :S

You can flash TWRP (AP) hltecan after it's done through Odin as well, then boot into that and view TWRP boot log (open terminal in TWRP and type cat /tmp/recovery.log | grep ro.bootloader) so you can confirm it actually went through. Otherwise install PHONE INFO Samsung through Google Play to check.
Even better way is to install stock recovery via the _HOME.tar.md5 file, boot into stock recovery, view recovery log, and that will have ro.baseband and ro.bootloader somewhere in it to tell you bootloader and modem version as well!

If you want to run stock firmware for a bit, be sure to boot stock recovery (it installs your CSC) and wipe /data through there to prevent any upgrade bugs (assuming you backed up your datas first!)
Wiping /data through stock recovery is mandatory if you use the Nand Erase All option in Odin because /data doesn't exist after a Nand Erase and TWRP or TouchWiz ROM can't properly create it yet. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: msiddiqu

msiddiqu

Jan 7, 2012
mississauga
ODIN

so ODIN finished...and looks like i lost the ROM i was using before but thats ok...i tried to boot into recovery but looks like my TWRP that i had earlier is gone as well as its booting into android system recovery.....now:

1. need guide to install the TWRP again
2.did i lost the root?

or should I just go and install the ROM i have in my ext SD card?

Assuming it's an _HOME.tar.md5 file all you need to do is put it in BL or AP slot in Odin and hit flash. Once that's done, take battery out, put battery back in, boot straight into Odin, and do the same thing again. I have been having to do that for some reason because modem doesn't wanna stick first time during a BL upgrade. :S

You can flash TWRP (AP) hltecan after it's done through Odin as well, then boot into that and view TWRP boot log (open terminal in TWRP and type cat /tmp/recovery.log (ok, cat just crashes the phone lol, you can copy log to sd and plug phone in and read recovery.log in notepad++ or something)) and it will contain lines like bootloader_version: and modem_version: so you can confirm it actually went through. Otherwise install PHONE INFO Samsung through Google Play to check.

---------- Post added 5th October 2015 at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was 4th October 2015 at 11:48 PM ----------

ok...so i downloaded openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.7-hltecan.img.tar and flashed through ODIN...its not going into recovery for some reason, tried a few battery resets, nothing help....the twrp recovery files are .zip and ODIN doesn't recognise them ( so i had to download a older version)...so looks like i need TWRP recovery and (root files i believe) before i install that ROM....what i have right now is pretty much a broken phone :crying:

please let me know.

so ODIN finished...and looks like i lost the ROM i was using before but thats ok...i tried to boot into recovery but looks like my TWRP that i had earlier is gone as well as its booting into android system recovery.....now:

2.did i lost the root?

jcadduono

Recognized Developer
Jan 17, 2014
Thunder Bay
adduono.com

2.did i lost the root?

---------- Post added 5th October 2015 at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was 4th October 2015 at 11:48 PM ----------

ok...so i downloaded openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.7-hltecan.img.tar and flashed through ODIN...its not going into recovery for some reason, tried a few battery resets, nothing help....the twrp recovery files are .zip and ODIN doesn't recognise them ( so i had to download a older version)...so looks like i need TWRP recovery and (root files i believe) before i install that ROM....what i have right now is pretty much a broken phone :crying:

please let me know.

_HOME.tar.md5 files are a complete restore to factory defaults aside from your data partition so yes, root is gone, twrp and root is gone. The twrp version you are trying to flash is incredibly old! Please flash via odin AP:
https://dl.twrp.me/hltecan/twrp-2.8.7.0-hltecan-4.4.img.tar
Install Supersu 2.46 or newer through twrp.

jmcourir

Feb 7, 2009
Québec
Hi guys, have you tripped knox with this procedure? Are you guys able to run 5.0+ lollipop without tripping knox? I'm currently on NB7 rooted, knox 0x0. But thinking to go to 5.0 from DOH1 and than twrp and install custom rom. Any suggestions to keep knox 0x0 even if I go to 5.0+?

Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi jcadduono,

I have the N900W8VLU2DOC4_N900W8OYADOC4_RWC.zip (around 1.4 GB file), when extracted: 2 files;
    N900W8VLU2DOC4_N900W8OYADOC4_N900W8VLU2DOC4_HOME.tar.md5 & SS_DL.dll

I'm on stock N900W8 4.4.2 NB7, rooted, twrp.
    Wasn't sure if using mobile odin and the zip file, would install ROM, MODEM & BL.

Sorry for the noob question, but in addition to the baseband file, will I need any other tar.md5 file to get my rom to DOC4, without the LP (DOC4) Bootloader?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

-----------------------------------------
    Ok, the file you have there ending in _HOME.tar.md5 contains the full firmware upgrade including bootloader (mbn files), baseband (modem), ROM (system, kernel, and recovery), and CSC (written to cache for recovery to apply to system and give you proper carrier apps and access point names for data/phone operation). If you want everything in one go, including the bootloader upgrade, you may want to backup everything from your phone's internal storage first. I'm not sure you would want to use mobile Odin for an entire firmware upgrade operation, and you'd especially want to have an actual desktop Odin available in case anything goes wrong to recover. (it's also not recommended by Chainfire to use on LP yet)
    Odin 3.09 for Windows

New: Cold boot your phone into Odin by removing your battery and USB cable, then waiting 5 seconds, reinsert your battery and do VolDown + Home + Power to boot directly into Odin from OFF. Once Odin is started, you can insert your USB cable. Some people have had issues where bootloader and/or modem wouldn't upgrade without a cold boot.

This *should* be sufficient to upgrade fully to DOC4:
    8db9e4e672.png

then press Start. It would likely upgrade the bootloader even without the "Phone Bootloader Update" box checked

Once it's finished, it will reboot your phone and start installing the CSC. I would recommend going back into recovery after that completes by using VolUp+Home+Power buttons, then using wipe data/factory reset. I don't think it's entirely necessary, but it should save you from any issues caused by previous settings on KK firmware.

Once you boot up, go through the wizard until you reach your home screen. Open up the dialer and call *#1234# - this will open up a version info dialog, telling you which version your ROM (AP), baseband (CP), and carrier data (CSC) are. Make sure they're all ending in DOC4! If they aren't, get back to me. If you want to check your bootloader version as well, get Phone INFO Samsung from Google Play and go to the firmware tab in it. I don't know how to check it from dialer. I am fairly sure the DOC4 bootloader can be downgraded (it's a Canadian tradition) although it WILL trip Knox on downgrade (do any carriers here actually care?) so I wouldn't be afraid to use it.

IF you want to upgrade and be sure that the bootloader is not included in the upgrade, you will need the tools to create Odin flashable firmware files.
    DISCLAIMER: I have no clue if LP will run on KK bootloader, you would have to confirm!
    img2tar.7z
    Extract that and you will find the folder img2tar, inside of it are a bunch of folders that you can fill up with files extracted from the _HOME.tar.md5 (using 7-zip). I've placed empty files in ap, bl, csc, and cp folders to tell you which file goes where. All you have to do after placing them is run the .bat files to generate the tar.md5's.
    If you wish to forgo the bootloader, don't use make-bl.bat.
    When using Odin with these generated tar.md5's, this is how you will fill it out before pressing Start:
    64abd09874.png

I still recommend doing a factory reset via STOCK recovery with both methods.

Once you've confirmed everything seems ok, you can install TWRP easily from Odin using only the AP box with this TWRP recovery flashable tar.
    Rooting can easily be done by putting recovery flashable zip latest SuperSU on your internal storage or sdcard, then flashing that from TWRP.

Issues I've run into while firmware upgrading:
    Modem doesn't upgrade - reflash CP file from last step only. If that doesn't work, reflash both CP and BL (modem might require new bootloader).
    Modem & bootloader don't upgrade - COLD BOOT: remove all power from phone (unplug, remove battery) then reinsert battery and do volDown+Home+Power to get into Odin, then insert USB cable.
    Infinite length loading screen, never boots - data partition is blank or incompatible with ROM, boot into STOCK recovery and wipe data/factory reset to fix. (if you used NAND Erase All in Odin this will happen)
    T-mobile boot logo - CSC flash failed (you have no carrier data), reinstall stock recovery and carrier data by reflashing AP and CSC through Odin.
    Phone doesn't show up in Odin COMs - No Samsung drivers installed - download them here.
    EMERGENCY RE-PARTITION FILE - DO NOT USE THIS unless you are somehow bricked but still able to access Odin through VolDown+Home+Power. Use in Odin with _HOME.tar.md5 in AP slot, Re-Partition, PIT file in slot.
    N900W8VLU2DOC4 just started rolling out in Canada for the N900W8

PDA: N900W8VLU2DOC4
    CSC: N900W8OYADOC4
    CHANGELIST: 4348112
    BUILD DATE: 13.03.201

file can be found here if needed

http://samsung-updates.com/device/

I flashed just the System img on my T-Mobile N900T just to see whats changed. Wifi, NFC, Bluetooth working without needing any patches. VoLTE, Wifi Calling, Download Booster options not there and not working but that's expected since it's not a T-Mobile firmware. The biggest change i noticed so far is that Samsung set the Sound mode back to how it was on Kitkat. You just have Sound, Silent and Mute. It doesn't show any of that Priority or Interruptions stuff anymore which is good since i had a issue with my alarm working with the stock T-Mobile firmware. So i had it on Mute last night and my alarm worked this morning just like it used to on Kitkat. So i'll keep it for now
    The download link is taking forever for me. Personally I just want to update the baseband and get back to CM12. Can someone extract the baseband file from the zip? If not I'll just wait for the download to finish on my end (9 hours!!!, frigging RapidGator!)
    Ok.
    Baseband: http://adduono.com/note3/CP_N900W8VLU2DOC4.tar.7z
    Bootloader: http://adduono.com/note3/BL_N900W8VLU2DOC4.tar.7z
    Extract that with 7-zip first and you will have an odin flashable tar.md5 file.
    Same here - BL and CP just not sticking when flashed independently of the whole firmware. Thoughts?

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

SCRATCH THAT - GOT IT!

Using the info from the bottom of this OP: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-note-3/general/odin-flashable-lollipop-bootloader-t3058101

I followed iketil's directions to flash only the bootloader and modem:
    1. Completely turn of your phone, usb cable must me disconnected.
    2. After the phone is turned off, remove the battery for 5 seconds
    3. Put the battery back in and boot directly in to download mode (vol down + home + power) then press vol up 1 time to enter download mode.
    4. Open ODIN on your PC and put the BL and CP files in their respective sections (Odin v3.09)
    5. Now connect your phone to the pc via USB
    6. Untick auto-reboot in ODIN before you flash.
    7. When the flash is finished in ODIN force a new direct reboot in to download mode (vol down + home + power), you'll also have to restart ODIN.
    8. Then tick back the auto-reboot tab, flash only the CP file one more time and let the phone autoreboot.

This worked. My modem and bootloader stick and were updated to OC4. LTE signal strength seems to be better too!
    Why is this in the T-Mobile subforum? Does it work on the T-Mobile Note 3?
    It's because XDA doesn't have a Canadian variant subforum for us. T-Mobile's /system works on the Canadian variant and vice-versa, but not the baseband or bootloader. That makes this a good subforum for N900W8 because their custom ROMs work on our phone. OP should probably change title to include [N900W8 ONLY].