FORUMS

Aosp back to Touchwiz

728 posts
Thanks Meter: 188
 
By robert90262, Senior Member on 9th July 2014, 12:18 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Thinking about trying an aosp Rom if I decide to go back to Touchwiz can I just restore back to it I've read other users saying I will have to Odin back ??
 
 
9th July 2014, 12:23 AM |#2  
Member
Flag Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 22
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert90262

Thinking about trying an aosp Rom if I decide to go back to Touchwiz can I just restore back to it I've read other users saying I will have to Odin back ??

Definitely not if you're already on the 4.4.x bootloader. I'm switching back and forth between CM11 and TouchWiz stock all the time. All it takes is a quick restore in TWRP.

The worst case scenario is that you might encounter some Force Closes, especially from the Samsung stock apps. In which case, just re-flash the ROM and all the problems will go away .
The Following User Says Thank You to kindrich For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th July 2014, 12:24 AM |#3  
robert90262's Avatar
OP Senior Member
cali
Thanks Meter: 188
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindrich

Definitely not if you're already on the 4.4.x bootloader. I'm switching back and forth between CM11 and TouchWiz stock all the time. All it takes is a quick restore in TWRP.

The worst case scenario is that you might encounter some Force Closes, especially from the Samsung stock apps. In which case, just re-flash the ROM and all the problems will go away .

Got any recommendations?? there's a slot to choose from..
9th July 2014, 07:33 PM |#4  
Member
Flag Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 22
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert90262

Got any recommendations?? there's a slot to choose from..

CyanogenMod 11 is a good start: M8 is quite stable and capable of being a daily driver. The battery life is insanely good on CM11 stock kernel.

Slim AOSP is another stable one with active development.

Keep in mind that you're giving up quite a bit using AOSP ROMs: poor S-Pen support, terrible camera app (no slow-mo or 4K recording), no Wi-Fi & VoLTE calling, no aptX codec (higher sound quality for Bluetooth speakers) but in return, you'll see that your phone feels much, much faster and smoother (like the true beast that the hardware inside is). Also much better battery life.

So yeah, pick your poison
The Following User Says Thank You to kindrich For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th July 2014, 10:30 PM |#5  
ktetreault14's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Largo
Thanks Meter: 1,719
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindrich

CyanogenMod 11 is a good start: M8 is quite stable and capable of being a daily driver. The battery life is insanely good on CM11 stock kernel.

Slim AOSP is another stable one with active development.

Keep in mind that you're giving up quite a bit using AOSP ROMs: poor S-Pen support, terrible camera app (no slow-mo or 4K recording), no Wi-Fi & VoLTE calling, no aptX codec (higher sound quality for Bluetooth speakers) but in return, you'll see that your phone feels much, much faster and smoother (like the true beast that the hardware inside is). Also much better battery life.

So yeah, pick your poison

He meant suggestions for TW Roms

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert90262

Got any recommendations?? there's a slot to choose from..

You could always try my S5 Port
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes