Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Device encryption - any issue with root and Odin?

OP lanwarrior

2nd September 2014, 12:51 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 150

2,194 posts
I want to use Android Device Encryption (Settings --> General --> Security). My questions are:

1). Is there any issue if my device is rooted and KNOX is disabled (it's still 0x0)
2). If anything to my device and I need to Odin, I assume encryption will NOT prevent me doing so?
3). Bonus question: is there anyway to use PIN when the device is encrypted? I only see "Password" and the rest is greyed out. I don't want to use 6 characters alphanumeric password everytime I want to use my device.
2nd September 2014, 05:47 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 523

1,792 posts
More
1) Yes, if you're rooted with a 100% stock ROM and recovery, you CAN encrypt.

2) Sort of. It might mess up the encryption. Mine got confused thinking it was still encrypted, but couldn't mount the partition after Odin ran. To fix it, boot to STOCK recovery using the hardware keys (vol+/home/power), and do a factory reset from in there. Note that CWM/TWRP etc will NOT work to fix this issue. It's something to do with the changes Samsung made to the encryption code.

3) Nope. Password only. In theory, it might be possible to do an Xposed module, but I didn't find a good place to hook in to the process. If they would separate the encryption password from the device lock code, this would be easy. I ended up using the No Lock Home Xposed module, which lets you switch to swipe screen lock when you are connected to particular wifi/cell/BT devices.

I'm actually running without encryption now. It makes custom ROMs difficult. I believe if I were running an AOSP derived ROM it would be fine, but using modded stock stuff causes issues. Make sure you do backups to SD or a computer. If something goes wrong with the encryption there is no way to recover without a full wipe, which kills everything on the internal storage, including /sdcard. The external SD card is not affected, unless you encrypted that as well. I like the extra security, but the implementation sucks and is buggy.
The Following User Says Thank You to ttabbal For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread