CPU Spy Gets an Android Lollipop Makeover

At some point in the distant past, you probably heard of CPU Spy for Android by XDARetired … more

Amazon Fire TV Stick vs Chromecast – XDA TV

There is no doubt that Amazon is a huge player in many markets, and they want to be a huge … more

Fight the Heat and Conserve Battery with EaseUS Coolphone

Memory hungry Android applications are often responsible for making our device … more

Battery Charged in 30 Seconds? Maybe in 2016

Phones and tablets are getting more and more power hungry with each passing generation. Their … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Hard Drive with OTG cable?

OP SeerePetrova

30th July 2014, 01:11 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Ixtapa
Thanks Meter: 13

57 posts
More
Has anyone here got the USB OTG cable working with an external Hardrive? is yes can you say what kind of Drive... i got a 1tera i think is ADATA
30th July 2014, 01:37 AM   |  #2  
Flag Huntsville, AL
Thanks Meter: 587

688 posts
Donate to Me
More
Most external hard drives draw to much power for a external disk i think. I've used several thumb drives, but not hard drives. An external ssd would be you're best bet as there aren't power sucking mechanical parts in them.

Sent from my leanKernel 3.4 powered stock 4.4.2 (NF1) SM-N900T
The Following User Says Thank You to toastido For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th July 2014, 02:09 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 604

1,598 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeerePetrova

Has anyone here got the USB OTG cable working with an external Hardrive? is yes can you say what kind of Drive... i got a 1tera i think is ADATA

I did on my note 2 prior to selinux since then (kitkat+) (Haven't on my note 3 because I frequently use screen mirroring which won't work with modded kernel) if you don't use screen mirroring then you'll need a kernel that has selinux set to permissive mode (Jovvy has a stock kernel modified with permissive mode posted in original development thread) to be able to use 3rd party ntfs apps to be able to view files, unless your hdd is fat32 (which will read as long as adequate power is supplied) NTFS requires permissive mode.

**I used a 1 tb Seagate that uses wall-power
I also have a Western Digital "My Passport Ultra" that is usb powered that powers up fine when connected to my note 3 but since my selinux is enforced I can't read the files, but it would work with a modified kernel no problem
Last edited by louforgiveno; 30th July 2014 at 02:18 AM.
30th July 2014, 02:42 AM   |  #4  
OP Member
Flag Ixtapa
Thanks Meter: 13

57 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by louforgiveno

I did on my note 2 prior to selinux since then (kitkat+) (Haven't on my note 3 because I frequently use screen mirroring which won't work with modded kernel) if you don't use screen mirroring then you'll need a kernel that has selinux set to permissive mode (Jovvy has a stock kernel modified with permissive mode posted in original development thread) to be able to use 3rd party ntfs apps to be able to view files, unless your hdd is fat32 (which will read as long as adequate power is supplied) NTFS requires permissive mode.

**I used a 1 tb Seagate that uses wall-power
I also have a Western Digital "My Passport Ultra" that is usb powered that powers up fine when connected to my note 3 but since my selinux is enforced I can't read the files, but it would work with a modified kernel no problem

i'm using the s5port... with leankernel and sidesync for screen mirroring doesnt work.. it always shows me a black screen on the computer.
30th July 2014, 03:04 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 604

1,598 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeerePetrova

i'm using the s5port... with leankernel and sidesync for screen mirroring doesnt work.. it always shows me a black screen on the computer.

Yup, screen mirroring will only work with stock kernel.
31st July 2014, 01:34 AM   |  #6  
Flag Huntsville, AL
Thanks Meter: 587

688 posts
Donate to Me
More
I'm using leanKernel and sidesync works fine. Stock rom, though.

Sent from my leanKernel 3.4 powered stock 4.4.2 (NF1) SM-N900T
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread