Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,579 Members 43,845 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Hard Drive with OTG cable?

Tip us?

SeerePetrova
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default [Q] Hard Drive with OTG cable?

Has anyone here got the USB OTG cable working with an external Hardrive? is yes can you say what kind of Drive... i got a 1tera i think is ADATA

toastido
Old
Thanks Meter 521

DONATE TO ME
Most external hard drives draw to much power for a external disk i think. I've used several thumb drives, but not hard drives. An external ssd would be you're best bet as there aren't power sucking mechanical parts in them.

Sent from my leanKernel 3.4 powered stock 4.4.2 (NF1) SM-N900T
If I've helped you, hit the Thanks! button!

Devices:
2012 ASUS Nexus 7 - KitKat 4.4.4 Stock ROM - leanKernel(grouper) v4.0
T-Mobile Galaxy Note 3 - KitKat 4.4.2 Stock ROM(N900TUVUDNF4) - leanKernel(N900T) v3.8

Helpful Threads by Me:
The Following User Says Thank You to toastido For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

louforgiveno
Old
(Last edited by louforgiveno; 30th July 2014 at 01:18 AM.)
Thanks Meter 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeerePetrova View Post
Has anyone here got the USB OTG cable working with an external Hardrive? is yes can you say what kind of Drive... i got a 1tera i think is ADATA
I did on my note 2 prior to selinux since then (kitkat+) (Haven't on my note 3 because I frequently use screen mirroring which won't work with modded kernel) if you don't use screen mirroring then you'll need a kernel that has selinux set to permissive mode (Jovvy has a stock kernel modified with permissive mode posted in original development thread) to be able to use 3rd party ntfs apps to be able to view files, unless your hdd is fat32 (which will read as long as adequate power is supplied) NTFS requires permissive mode.

**I used a 1 tb Seagate that uses wall-power
I also have a Western Digital "My Passport Ultra" that is usb powered that powers up fine when connected to my note 3 but since my selinux is enforced I can't read the files, but it would work with a modified kernel no problem
"I was looking back to see, If she was looking back to see, If I was looking back at her"

SeerePetrova
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by louforgiveno View Post
I did on my note 2 prior to selinux since then (kitkat+) (Haven't on my note 3 because I frequently use screen mirroring which won't work with modded kernel) if you don't use screen mirroring then you'll need a kernel that has selinux set to permissive mode (Jovvy has a stock kernel modified with permissive mode posted in original development thread) to be able to use 3rd party ntfs apps to be able to view files, unless your hdd is fat32 (which will read as long as adequate power is supplied) NTFS requires permissive mode.

**I used a 1 tb Seagate that uses wall-power
I also have a Western Digital "My Passport Ultra" that is usb powered that powers up fine when connected to my note 3 but since my selinux is enforced I can't read the files, but it would work with a modified kernel no problem
i'm using the s5port... with leankernel and sidesync for screen mirroring doesnt work.. it always shows me a black screen on the computer.

louforgiveno
Old
Thanks Meter 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeerePetrova View Post
i'm using the s5port... with leankernel and sidesync for screen mirroring doesnt work.. it always shows me a black screen on the computer.
Yup, screen mirroring will only work with stock kernel.
"I was looking back to see, If she was looking back to see, If I was looking back at her"

toastido
Old
Thanks Meter 521

DONATE TO ME
I'm using leanKernel and sidesync works fine. Stock rom, though.

Sent from my leanKernel 3.4 powered stock 4.4.2 (NF1) SM-N900T
If I've helped you, hit the Thanks! button!

Devices:
2012 ASUS Nexus 7 - KitKat 4.4.4 Stock ROM - leanKernel(grouper) v4.0
T-Mobile Galaxy Note 3 - KitKat 4.4.2 Stock ROM(N900TUVUDNF4) - leanKernel(N900T) v3.8

Helpful Threads by Me: