Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,042 Members 42,419 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] need help with note 3 re-rooting

Tip us?

logicalotus
Old
(Last edited by logicalotus; 12th July 2014 at 06:58 AM.) Reason: title
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] need help with note 3 re-rooting

I successfully rooted my Note 3 (tmobile) and tried several roms over the past few weeks. The problem I now have started with the last one i tried. I inadvertently mistook a rom for one that was stock and it unrooted it, adding knox back and undid all my hard work.

I started over and for some reason when I retraced my steps, the phone will only go into download mode and when it reboots, the boot screen comes on and then turns back off. I've used ODIN 3.09 with CF-Auto-Root, and tried the De la Vega root, and it all does the same thing. Sometimes I get the red android screen that makes it seem like it is rooted, but when it reboots "after 10 seconds", the screen goes black and never turns back on. I'd be happy with starting over again and trying from scratch, unless there is another way. If anyone could help me I would be eternally grateful.

I'm willing to do anything, whatever it takes, if anyone has the guidance and insight on what is going on here.
Thanks,
GrandMasterB
Old
Thanks Meter 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalotus View Post
I successfully rooted my Note 3 (tmobile) and tried several roms over the past few weeks. The problem I now have started with the last one i tried. I inadvertently mistook a rom for one that was stock and it unrooted it, adding knox back and undid all my hard work.

I started over and for some reason when I retraced my steps, the phone will only go into download mode and when it reboots, the boot screen comes on and then turns back off. I've used ODIN 3.09 with CF-Auto-Root, and tried the De la Vega root, and it all does the same thing. Sometimes I get the red android screen that makes it seem like it is rooted, but when it reboots "after 10 seconds", the screen goes black and never turns back on. I'd be happy with starting over again and trying from scratch, unless there is another way. If anyone could help me I would be eternally grateful.

I'm willing to do anything, whatever it takes, if anyone has the guidance and insight on what is going on here.
Thanks,
Unfortunately I cannot help you. Just subscribing for info, knowledge is power and I am preparing to root and ROM my new Note 3. Best of luck with your dilemma.

HowlTowardsTheMoon
Old
Thanks Meter 0
What did you flash that you believe caused this ?

markbencze
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 4543

DONATE TO ME
ok so here's the method that i always have used to gain root.
It's very simple and effective.
keep in mind this will trip your knox to 0x1 if you even care!

all you have to do is download the latest twrp or philz recovery (I recommend twrp - available in the tmo n3 original development section) and flash the .img.tar file in odin.
that will give you a custom recovery.
Then what you need to do is download the latest supersu.zip file and place it on your sd card or just dl it right on your phone.
then reboot to recovery (power off device and simultaneously hold the volume up, home button and power button.) you will see in blue font in the top left of the screen "recovery booting".
then in twrp flash the supersu.zip
bam you have root!!!

remember to read and search if you plan on any future flashing to be safe!
The Following User Says Thank You to markbencze For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Eudeferrer
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I recommend you flash a clean stock NE6 with ODIN. Then, you can root with Towelroot with just one click. It's that simple. It's worked for me when I lost root trying to update to latest build. Then you can upgrade using Mobile Odin Pro and using the "inject" root feature.
If I've helped you in any way.....Don't forget to hit the Thank You button.

thaddeusmak
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Then how to reset Knox back to 0x0?

GrandMasterB
Old
Thanks Meter 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaddeusmak View Post
Then how to reset Knox back to 0x0?
Physically impossible. It cannot be done.

thaddeusmak
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMasterB View Post
Physically impossible.
lol. but what does Knox actually do? I think I did already trigger it. What does it affect? Thanks.

GrandMasterB
Old
Thanks Meter 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaddeusmak View Post
lol. but what does Knox actually do? I think I did already trigger it. What does it affect? Thanks.
Breaks enterprise security. If you need it for work triggering knox breaks it and is unreversible. Its also permanently flags the device warranty as voided.

thaddeusmak
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMasterB View Post
Breaks enterprise security. If you need it for work triggering knox breaks it and is unreversible. Its also permanently flags the device warranty as voided.
Oh, I got it. Thanks a lot bro.