Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,969 Members 37,788 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can I take my rooted Tmobile Note 3 to Verizon?

Tip us?

Lucas155
Old
(Last edited by Lucas155; 16th August 2014 at 01:14 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Can I take my rooted Tmobile Note 3 to Verizon?

I moved to Charlottesville, VA recently and the Tmobile coverage is really awful. Is it possible to take my rooted Tmobile Note 3 and use it on the Verizon network? I know it works on AT&T as I put my buddy's SIM card in and was able to connect to the network, but Verizon has the best coverage out here.

If I have to flash a new ROM or change the radio that's fine, I just need to know how to do it and if it's even possible.

rjohnstone
Old
Thanks Meter 121
No, not possible.
Current:
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (T-Mobile - Stock 4.4.2-Rooted)

Other (Retired):
Samsung GS4 (AT&T - Stock 4.4.2-FMLD)
Samsung GS3 (AT&T - Stock 4.3-Rooted)
Samsung GS2 Skyrocket (CM 10.1)
Nokia Lumia 520 (Cool phone to play with)

Lucas155
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohnstone View Post
No, not possible.
But the Verizon version can come to Tmobile, right?

bipoler
Old
Thanks Meter 63
o_0 a t-mobile device to Verizon. lol I thought questions like this died in 2005

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Who am I?

LOL HA !

I Am..

J Be (Here But Gone)

My Thoughts My Way...My Opinion wont sway. I dont listen to opinions I didn't ask for ~Intellectual....Self-Sufficient...Goal Oriented.

defcon888
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas155 View Post
I moved to Charlottesville, VA recently and the Tmobile coverage is really awful. Is it possible to take my rooted Tmobile Note 3 and use it on the Verizon network? I know it works on AT&T as I put my buddy's SIM card in and was able to connect to the network, but Verizon has the best coverage out here.

If I have to flash a new ROM or change the radio that's fine, I just need to know how to do it and if it's even possible.
It is impssible to use a T-Mobile phone on a Verizon network. T-Mobile and AT&T run on the GSM type of network and Verizon and I believe Sprint run on CDMA which aren't capatible. It doesn't matter if you are rooted or not.
- Where there is a WILL, there is free tech support

Galaxy S4 (Stock but rooted)

Lucas155
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon888 View Post
It is impssible to use a T-Mobile phone on a Verizon network. T-Mobile and AT&T run on the GSM type of network and Verizon and I believe Sprint run on CDMA which aren't capatible. It doesn't matter if you are rooted or not.
I've seen several instances of Verizon customers using their Note 3 on Tmobile. Just thought it might go the other way.

Product F(RED)
Old
Thanks Meter 2,605
Verizon LTE devices come SIM unlocked for legal reasons (Verizon made a deal with the FCC not to SIM lock their devices in exchange for being able to use LTE Band 13 700 MHz).

Some of their older/"first-gen" LTE devices don't support GSM at all (e.g. Galaxy Nexus). But all nowadays do. The Galaxy S4 and newer support T-Mobile's LTE band. LTE is a GSM-based technology, and people travel as well. So pretty much all of their phones are GSM-enabled nowadays. Same for Sprint (except their phones will reject any US carrier SIMs specifically).

Anyways, the answer is no. AT&T and T-Mobile devices don't have CDMA enabled. And even if they did, Verizon and Sprint don't allow competitors' phones onto their networks.

HTC Evo 4G -> HTC Evo 3D/Nexus S 4G -> Galaxy S II -> iPhone 4S -> Galaxy S II -> Galaxy Nexus -> Galaxy S3 i9300 -> Galaxy Note 2 i317 -> Galaxy Note 2 T889