Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Can I take my rooted Tmobile Note 3 to Verizon?

OP Lucas155

16th August 2014, 02:11 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

56 posts
I moved to Charlottesville, VA recently and the Tmobile coverage is really awful. Is it possible to take my rooted Tmobile Note 3 and use it on the Verizon network? I know it works on AT&T as I put my buddy's SIM card in and was able to connect to the network, but Verizon has the best coverage out here.

If I have to flash a new ROM or change the radio that's fine, I just need to know how to do it and if it's even possible.
Last edited by Lucas155; 16th August 2014 at 02:14 AM.
16th August 2014, 04:06 AM   |  #2  
Flag Phoenix, AZ.
Thanks Meter: 124

575 posts
More
No, not possible.
16th August 2014, 04:57 AM   |  #3  
OP Member

56 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohnstone

No, not possible.

But the Verizon version can come to Tmobile, right?
17th August 2014, 02:43 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 71

401 posts
o_0 a t-mobile device to Verizon. lol I thought questions like this died in 2005

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
17th August 2014, 05:13 PM   |  #5  
Flag Fremont
Thanks Meter: 6

33 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas155

I moved to Charlottesville, VA recently and the Tmobile coverage is really awful. Is it possible to take my rooted Tmobile Note 3 and use it on the Verizon network? I know it works on AT&T as I put my buddy's SIM card in and was able to connect to the network, but Verizon has the best coverage out here.

If I have to flash a new ROM or change the radio that's fine, I just need to know how to do it and if it's even possible.

It is impssible to use a T-Mobile phone on a Verizon network. T-Mobile and AT&T run on the GSM type of network and Verizon and I believe Sprint run on CDMA which aren't capatible. It doesn't matter if you are rooted or not.
18th August 2014, 03:21 AM   |  #6  
OP Member

56 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon888

It is impssible to use a T-Mobile phone on a Verizon network. T-Mobile and AT&T run on the GSM type of network and Verizon and I believe Sprint run on CDMA which aren't capatible. It doesn't matter if you are rooted or not.

I've seen several instances of Verizon customers using their Note 3 on Tmobile. Just thought it might go the other way.
20th August 2014, 03:16 AM   |  #7  
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks Meter: 2,649

8,937 posts
More
Verizon LTE devices come SIM unlocked for legal reasons (Verizon made a deal with the FCC not to SIM lock their devices in exchange for being able to use LTE Band 13 700 MHz).

Some of their older/"first-gen" LTE devices don't support GSM at all (e.g. Galaxy Nexus). But all nowadays do. The Galaxy S4 and newer support T-Mobile's LTE band. LTE is a GSM-based technology, and people travel as well. So pretty much all of their phones are GSM-enabled nowadays. Same for Sprint (except their phones will reject any US carrier SIMs specifically).

Anyways, the answer is no. AT&T and T-Mobile devices don't have CDMA enabled. And even if they did, Verizon and Sprint don't allow competitors' phones onto their networks.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread