Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,698 Members 49,574 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] T-mobile Service Display

Tip us?

Mortifix
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [Q] T-mobile Service Display

Hello all, I am a fairly new T-Mobile user and I had a few questions about the service. I am a little confused about the service that is being reported on my phone and I don't know if this is something with T-Mobile or android. When I have service I will have the traditional bars and the 4G indicator. Well I was in the store today and I never get service in here while I'm in the back of the store but up front I get 2 - 3 bars. While I was in the back of the store my phone was reporting 5 bars but no data and I am unable to text or call. When I move to the front, the bars will drop to 2 bars and I get 4G. My question is why is my phone showing 5 bars when I have no service? Also, if I did in fact have 5 bars.. shouldn't I be able to text without data? I did have Network Signal Info installed that I was using to monitor my connect but I didn't have it installed at the time because I just installed Darthstalker ROM (not the issue because it was like this on all the other roms). Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!
T-mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900T) - Personal Phone
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 (SGH-I747M) - Work Phone

speedy1979
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortifix View Post
Hello all, I am a fairly new T-Mobile user and I had a few questions about the service. I am a little confused about the service that is being reported on my phone and I don't know if this is something with T-Mobile or android. When I have service I will have the traditional bars and the 4G indicator. Well I was in the store today and I never get service in here while I'm in the back of the store but up front I get 2 - 3 bars. While I was in the back of the store my phone was reporting 5 bars but no data and I am unable to text or call. When I move to the front, the bars will drop to 2 bars and I get 4G. My question is why is my phone showing 5 bars when I have no service? Also, if I did in fact have 5 bars.. shouldn't I be able to text without data? I did have Network Signal Info installed that I was using to monitor my connect but I didn't have it installed at the time because I just installed Darthstalker ROM (not the issue because it was like this on all the other roms). Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!
The next time you want to check signal strength don't rely on the bars. Instead go to settings>general>about device>status your signal strength is indicated in dbm and asu. No service if I remember correctly is -115dbm.
Samsung Tmobile Galaxy Note 3 rooted.
Samsung At&t Galaxy Note 3 sold
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2013 rooted.

Mortifix
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
I have attached a few screen shots of when I disabled data and tried to send a text. It looks like its getting a pretty strong signal to the celltower. I am using 8sms app.. would that have something to do with it? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-07-10-13-10-16.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	2846176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-07-11-09-37-57.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	2846177   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-07-11-09-38-11.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	2846178  

Mortifix
Old
(Last edited by Mortifix; 11th July 2014 at 09:35 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Ok just a little update. It looks like my phone is picking up a Cingular tower as shown under net operator: 310410 which is giving me such high service when I don't have any. When I connect to the T-mobile network, it shows net operator: T-mobile and the service drops to the usual level. So I am able to send txt's and make calls without data and it is a case of no service.
Tags
connection issues, t-mobile service