Post Reply

No USB 3.0 on MacBook Pro with USB 3.0 support

OP nightmare reaper

13th August 2014, 05:47 AM   |  #1  
nightmare reaper's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
49 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
I have a MacBook Pro Mid 2012 13"(MacBook 9,2) with USB 3.0 ports but when I connect my phone i dont see the usb 3.0 icon or option in the pull down just the regular ones and i have tried other micro-usb 3.0 cables with the same results

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cap.png
Views:	27
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	2895557


my question is; is it possible to get usb 3.0 to work on a mac.. oh and yes i am using Android File Transfer and i have tries kies as well
Last edited by nightmare reaper; 13th August 2014 at 09:28 AM.
13th August 2014, 06:47 AM   |  #2  
louforgiveno's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 563
 
1,520 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmare reaper

I have a MacBook Pro Mid 2012 13"(MacBook 9,2) with USB 3.0 ports but when I connect my phone i dont see the usb 3.0 icon or option in the pull down just the regular ones and i have tried other micro-usb 3.0 cables with the same results

Attachment 2895382

my question is; is it possible to get usb 3.0 to work on a mac.. oh and yes i am using Android File Transfer and i have tries kies as well

You need to go to the usb connected in pull down and select usb 3.0 mode....by default the connection is in usb 2.0 mode
Not sure if it will work on mac, but that method works on pc
13th August 2014, 06:52 AM   |  #3  
nightmare reaper's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
49 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by louforgiveno

You need to go to the usb connected in pull down and select usb 3.0 mode....by default the connection is in usb 2.0 mode
Not sure if it will work on mac, but that method works on pc

sorry if i wasn't clear in the original post but their is no option for that in the pull down
13th August 2014, 07:30 AM   |  #4  
louforgiveno's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 563
 
1,520 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmare reaper

sorry if i wasn't clear in the original post but their is no option for that in the pull down

sorry, wrong wording.....should click the "connected as media device" and select usb 3 in there
13th August 2014, 08:57 AM   |  #5  
nightmare reaper's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
49 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by louforgiveno

sorry, wrong wording.....should click the "connected as media device" and select usb 3 in there

no option

Last edited by nightmare reaper; 13th August 2014 at 09:04 AM.
13th August 2014, 09:33 AM   |  #6  
nightmare reaper's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
49 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Starting to belive it's because OS X doesn't have native MTP driver support
13th August 2014, 02:21 PM   |  #7  
toastido's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Huntsville, AL
Thanks Meter: 546
 
652 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmare reaper

Starting to belive it's because OS X doesn't have native MTP driver support

I would agree with you here, however, when I first got my Note 3 and connected to my MBP (same model as OP), it used to display the option, but ever since NB4 and beyond I haven't ever seen the option again.

The only thing I haven't tried, is launching Android File Transfer before plugging it in to see if that makes a difference, but I uninstalled that due to NE6 (and beyond)'s ability to show the internal and external sdcards as mount points.
13th August 2014, 05:09 PM   |  #8  
nightmare reaper's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
49 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastido

I would agree with you here, however, when I first got my Note 3 and connected to my MBP (same model as OP), it used to display the option, but ever since NB4 and beyond I haven't ever seen the option again.

The only thing I haven't tried, is launching Android File Transfer before plugging it in to see if that makes a difference, but I uninstalled that due to NE6 (and beyond)'s ability to show the internal and external sdcards as mount points.

no it didn't work but i am interested how did you achieve making it mount internal/external mount points
13th August 2014, 11:25 PM   |  #9  
toastido's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Huntsville, AL
Thanks Meter: 546
 
652 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmare reaper

no it didn't work but i am interested how did you achieve making it mount internal/external mount points

I didn't make it do anything, i just plug it in.

Sent from my leanKernel 3.5 powered stock 4.4.2 (NF4) SM-N900T
14th August 2014, 02:54 AM   |  #10  
nightmare reaper's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
49 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
after more research it apears more and more that the USB 3.0 is related to driver issues and not yet supported in OS X .... ill be setting up a bootcamp with windows 7 soon for testing but i'm almost certain its a issue with being supported under the os and not hardware...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes