Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,110 Members 41,352 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Wifi Calling With AT&T on N900-T Unlocked...Possible or not?

Tip us?

Ed Murray
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27

DONATE TO ME
Default Wifi Calling With AT&T on N900-T Unlocked...Possible or not?

As I have experienced first hand, T-Mobile's wifi calling feature works amazing on my Note 3. The problem is, where I live, work and play we do not get any T-Mobile service above 2g, and mostly nothing at all. I'm actually confused as to why local stores are even selling the service. It simply doesn't work here. Anyhow, I had purchased a month of prepaid service with them because I don't get ANY service from any provider at my home (except Verizon, who comes in at 5 bars in my basement). The wifi calling feature was amazing for this one reason. I never missed a call, or text and life was good. Of course, the moment I left the house my $800.00 Note 3 turned into a very expensive makeup mirror for my wife because, like I mentioned, we don't get T-Mobile here, at all. I still have 2 weeks of the service active, and put the sim into my i-747 S3 for testing.
I'm currently running Hyperdrive RLS3.1 (NB4) on AT&T Go-Service on my Note 3.

What I'm asking is simple, or maybe it isn't -
I would like to know where I could find info on a REAL wifi calling service. Not these 3rd party apps that give you a new free #, etc. I'd like something that integrates into the phone, like TM Wifi calling does. After searching this topic on XDA, I found a few threads on SIP VoIP. I'd even be willing to give that a shot. If I have to invest a few dollars, that is also ok. Has anyone else successfully done this? Any better idea's or suggestions? I'm tired of not being able to make calls from my cell phone at home. I have looked into repeaters, extenders, etc, but that is for another thread, I suppose.
I know that the native wifi calling on my Note 3 will not work with AT&T, but there must be something that can work....

Thanks for any info or help anyone can provide.
My Devices

Current - N900T Note III on AT&T, 4500mAh Mpj Slim Battery, Trident Kraken case w/ wireless Qi
HyperDrive RLS3.1 - CWM BL

Backup - SGH I747 S III on T-Mobile, 7k mah Zerolemon Battery & Shock Case w/ wireless Qi
Carbon KK ROM/Kernel - CWM BL

Test Driving - HTC One M8 Stock, soon to be better.

Waiting for - T-Mobile Note 4, unlocked or an LG G3.

Retired - (2) Droid 2 A950, (1) Droid 2 R2D2 A955

Copy.com referral bonus - 15+5gb Cloud Space for both people

rjohnstone
Old
Thanks Meter 122
Real WiFi calling has to be supported on the back end by the carrier.
You are going to be limited to a 3rd party solution.
Current:
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (T-Mobile - Stock 4.4.2-Rooted)

Other (Retired):
Samsung GS4 (AT&T - Stock 4.4.2-FMLD)
Samsung GS3 (AT&T - Stock 4.3-Rooted)
Samsung GS2 Skyrocket (CM 10.1)
Nokia Lumia 520 (Cool phone to play with)

Pajar0913
Old
Thanks Meter 11
That's what I use. I have to use magic jack.

sent from a Galaxy Note 3 Far far away
Tags
rom, sip, t-mobile, voip, wifi calling