Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Wireless Charging Stopped Working?!?

OP GaryParr

19th August 2014, 07:58 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Providence
Thanks Meter: 8

85 posts
More
OK, goes wtihout saying (but I'm saying anyway) that any assistance in troubleshooting this would be greatly appreciated.

Have the official Sammy wireless charging back cover and a few Tylt VU stands. The phone was wirelessly charging like a champ for months. Then, one day I put the phone on the Tylt and... nothing. The phone did not recognize the charger and the charger light cycled between a 2 second steady green, a red flash, and then a 2 second steady red. There were no hard drops of the phone on the day it just stopped working. Nadda. Nothing. Which is actually surprising since I have a 3 year old and a 9 month old. I can confirm that the Tylt chargers themselves didn't start pushing up daisies all on the same day because they still work just fine with my wife's S5, also with an official Sammy charging cover.

Here are the steps I've tried to fix/find the issue...
  1. Reboot the phone
  2. Different Tylt VU
  3. Pull battery, wait a while
  4. Pull cover, re-seat
  5. Pull cover, raise contacts in phone with a pin
  6. Wipe and re-install ROM
  7. Threaten to kick the dog

If I put the back cover on the stand by itself (no phone) I get the same exact sequence of error flashes from the Tylt. No clue what this means. Does anyone know how to test the back cover itself to see if it is still working as expected? I have a multi-meter, but not sure what pins to check at what setting
19th August 2014, 11:16 PM   |  #2  
Flag Charlotte
Thanks Meter: 82

220 posts
More
Very Interesting! AND annoying. Exact same thing happened with me from last few days. I thought it was a problem with my Mudder coil as my Lumia 920 was charging properly. I then ordered a Samsung official s-view charging case. Hope it is not something that's broken.

I fear it is too much of a coincidence for same wireless charging problems for 2 different random phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryParr

OK, goes wtihout saying (but I'm saying anyway) that any assistance in troubleshooting this would be greatly appreciated.

Have the official Sammy wireless charging back cover and a few Tylt VU stands. The phone was wirelessly charging like a champ for months. Then, one day I put the phone on the Tylt and... nothing. The phone did not recognize the charger and the charger light cycled between a 2 second steady green, a red flash, and then a 2 second steady red. There were no hard drops of the phone on the day it just stopped working. Nadda. Nothing. Which is actually surprising since I have a 3 year old and a 9 month old. I can confirm that the Tylt chargers themselves didn't start pushing up daisies all on the same day because they still work just fine with my wife's S5, also with an official Sammy charging cover.

1. Reboot the phone
  2. Different Tylt VU
  4. Pull cover, re-seat

If I put the back cover on the stand by itself (no phone) I get the same exact sequence of error flashes from the Tylt. No clue what this means. Does anyone know how to test the back cover itself to see if it is still working as expected? I have a multi-meter, but not sure what pins to check at what setting

20th August 2014, 01:17 AM   |  #3  
Flag Huntsville, AL
Thanks Meter: 666

730 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryParr

1. Reboot the phone
  2. Different Tylt VU
  4. Pull cover, re-seat

It's possible the coil in the charging cover has developed an issue. Did you contact tylt about that led pattern? It might mean something.

If all else fails, check on amazon; the are tons of inexpensive (under 10 dollar) wireless charging pads you can but one and try it with the stock cover and see if it works. If so, your coil in the sammy cover has bit the dust.

Sent from my leanKernel 3.5 powered stock 4.4.2 (NF4) SM-N900T
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread