Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,884 Members 52,512 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Worth upgrading to NF4? What's new?

Tip us?

Rick7C2
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Question [Q] Worth upgrading to NF4? What's new?

I currently have NB4.

What's new in NF4? I know it has the VoLTE but that's not in my area so nothing for me(yet).

Are there any improvements?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is. What are the pros and con's of upgrading from NB4 to NF4?

I also run w03 slimkat. Is it compatible? It shows its compatible with 4.4 BL. Just not sure if that's updated to include NF4 BL.

thanks and sorry for being a noob.

Misterjunky
Old
Thanks Meter 2,380

DONATE TO ME
Thumbs up re: nf4 update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick7C2 View Post
I currently have NB4.

What's new in NF4? I know it has the VoLTE but that's not in my area so nothing for me(yet).

Are there any improvements?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is. What are the pros and con's of upgrading from NB4 to NF4?

I also run w03 slimkat. Is it compatible? It shows its compatible with 4.4 BL. Just not sure if that's updated to include NF4 BL.

thanks and sorry for being a noob.
I have no idea as to what exactly is "new" in NF4 but take it from me,
if there wasn't any improvements then why would Samsung waste their
time, money and effort with the NF4 or any other future updates?

There are no "cons" to upgrading NF4 or any future official updates.
Have a great day, enjoy!

Don't forget it takes less time to click the "THANKS" button than to type "thank you".
(unless you type very fast).

Eric214
Old
Thanks Meter 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterjunky View Post
I have no idea as to what exactly is "new" in NF4 but take it from me,
if there wasn't any improvements then why would Samsung waste their
time, money and effort with the NF4 or any other future updates?

There are no "cons" to upgrading NF4 or any future official updates.
Of course there can be cons. Thats a laughable statement. Until it's reported the update is fine, you can have broken root, locked down bootloader (not as likely on T-Mobile) a bad build that causes bad battery drain. You must be new to the phone rooting and roming world to say "There are no "cons" to upgrading NF4 or any future official updates"
Current Phone

T-Mobile 32GB - Rooted Wicked v5 (TWRP 2.6.3.8)

Current Tablet
Galaxy Note 10.1 32GB 2014 Edition

Retired Phones
Galaxy S4 (VZW MDK) sold to pay for my Note 3
Droid Bionic - Traded for Note 3
Droid X - Now a WiFi phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric214 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Rick7C2
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
I don't want any fights started. Please keep it casual.

With that being said. Yes there can be some pros and con's.

Like I said before I know that it includes VoLTE. That's the main feature. However That is not available in my area.

What I would like to know. Is there better internet connectivity? How's battery life. My biggest problem with T-Mobile in my area is it keeps dropping from H+ to 3G. 3G and below are like being in airplane mode. I end up having to disconnect and reconnect to get H+ back. Does NF4 fix this? If not Is there any tricks/mods to help with this issue. Or is it just ****ty network in my area?

and again I will continue to use W03 SlimKat. currently running V23 waiting on V25.

I'm looking for people who have personally updated there phone to NF4 and can give me details on how well its running.

Thanks

louforgiveno
Old
(Last edited by louforgiveno; 25th August 2014 at 09:47 PM.)
Thanks Meter 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick7C2 View Post
I don't want any fights started. Please keep it casual.

With that being said. Yes there can be some pros and con's.

Like I said before I know that it includes VoLTE. That's the main feature. However That is not available in my area.

What I would like to know. Is there better internet connectivity? How's battery life. My biggest problem with T-Mobile in my area is it keeps dropping from H+ to 3G. 3G and below are like being in airplane mode. I end up having to disconnect and reconnect to get H+ back. Does NF4 fix this? If not Is there any tricks/mods to help with this issue. Or is it just ****ty network in my area?

and again I will continue to use W03 SlimKat. currently running V23 waiting on V25.

I'm looking for people who have personally updated there phone to NF4 and can give me details on how well its running.

Thanks
For me, battery performance increased noticeably and it seems like connectivity is better. At my house it used to always switch from 4glte to 4g and since the update it holds the lte connection better. Sunday morning there was a quake in the bay area and since then data has been weird. ..but up to that things where just buzzing along. I came from NB4 and like i said i noticed worthy improvements.

***BTW i did a full wipe in recovery, powered down, pulled battery, booted into download mode and odin'd the full firmware file, everything except External SD.
"I was looking back to see, If she was looking back to see, If I was looking back at her"

Rick7C2
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by louforgiveno View Post
For me, battery performance increased noticeably and it seems like connectivity is better. At my house it used to always switch from 4glte to 4g and since the update it holds the lte connection better. Sunday morning there was a quake in the bay area and since then data has been weird. ..but up to that things where just buzzing along. I came from NB4 and like i said i noticed worthy improvements.

***BTW i did a full wipe in recovery, powered down, pulled battery, booted into download mode and odin'd the full firmware file, everything except External SD.
Thanks, Based on this information I have decided to go ahead and update to NF4. Running W03 SlimKat V24 sofar so good. Once Google gets done restoring my apps I will turn off WiFi and update this thread with my findings.

pete4k
Old
Thanks Meter 67
I know many people claim better battery life after updating to 4.4, but I don't see it. I just updated about a week ago from 4.3 (MI7) to 4.4 (NF4) and battery life is similar at best, but mostly worse.Not only that, but charging also takes much longer. Normally my battery would fully charge in about 2.5 hours, but couple nights ago it took 5 hours to go from 10% to 82%. I went back to sleep and finally was fully charged after additional 3 hours, but then as soon as I turn it on, went down to 97%. I never seen that before. I run 0228 code and discharged to 0 and then back to 100%, so hopefully that will calibrate battery better, but still just last night phone was at 100% before sleep and in the morning down to 80%. Normally on 4.3 I would loose 3% to 4% overnight. I just hope it's temporary and will improve after settling down, otherwise i will need to run some serious diagnostics and fix it. Antutu also seem slower, last time I run it on 4.3 I got 37083, under 4.4 I barely got 35000.

louforgiveno
Old
Thanks Meter 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete4k View Post
I know many people claim better battery life after updating to 4.4, but I don't see it. I just updated about a week ago from 4.3 (MI7) to 4.4 (NF4) and battery life is similar at best, but mostly worse.Not only that, but charging also takes much longer. Normally my battery would fully charge in about 2.5 hours, but couple nights ago it took 5 hours to go from 10% to 82%. I went back to sleep and finally was fully charged after additional 3 hours, but then as soon as I turn it on, went down to 97%. I never seen that before. I run 0228 code and discharged to 0 and then back to 100%, so hopefully that will calibrate battery better, but still just last night phone was at 100% before sleep and in the morning down to 80%. Normally on 4.3 I would loose 3% to 4% overnight. I just hope it's temporary and will improve after settling down, otherwise i will need to run some serious diagnostics and fix it. Antutu also seem slower, last time I run it on 4.3 I got 37083, under 4.4 I barely got 35000.
Not my experience at all. Battery drops maybe 2-3% overnight. Stays at 100% longer than it had and charges plenty fast from 1% to 100% way under 5 hrs, but i never really timed it yet i can say it was under 3 hrs and i remember being surprised at how quickly it got to 80' something percent. Every month or so I run my phone down to 1% just to help the battery cause I'm usually on a charger and rarely get below 50%. Maybe a good wiping might tune things up for you.
"I was looking back to see, If she was looking back to see, If I was looking back at her"

louforgiveno
Old
Thanks Meter 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by louforgiveno View Post
Not my experience at all. Battery drops maybe 2-3% overnight. Stays at 100% longer than it had and charges plenty fast from 1% to 100% way under 5 hrs, but i never really timed it yet i can say it was under 3 hrs and i remember being surprised at how quickly it got to 80' something percent. Every month or so I run my phone down to 1% just to help the battery cause I'm usually on a charger and rarely get below 50%. Maybe a good wiping might tune things up for you.
Heres some pics....stock kernel fyi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1409022913137.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (56.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 1409022936796.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (36.1 KB, 75 views)

pete4k
Old
Thanks Meter 67
I believe you, you're not the first person claiming better battery. I don't want to wipe, too much headache to restore and settings and games in progress, also my kids are on my account, so either no automatic reinstall (BTW how do I stop it), or a lot of deleting kiddie games, already went with this process once before, not fun. Probably something simple, since I'm stock rooted and always been on my Note3.