How to back up my factory ROM?

Search This thread
Just got a new unit and would like to make a full backup of the factory ROM before proceeding to try out different ROMs. I did find an old thread from 2011 [HOW-TO]Create Custom ODIN Images for Backup/Restore but I'm not entirely sure if this is still accurate advice.

Also, it says that the device needs to be rooted in order to make the backups. My understanding is that if I root the system it will be detected by the system and OTA updating will then be disabled, which is not what I want. So my second question is: Is it really necessary to root and if so what is the best temporary method?

ShrekOpher

May 14, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Just got a new unit and would like to make a full backup of the factory ROM before proceeding to try out different ROMs. I did find an old thread from 2011 [HOW-TO]Create Custom ODIN Images for Backup/Restore but I'm not entirely sure if this is still accurate advice.

Also, it says that the device needs to be rooted in order to make the backups. My understanding is that if I root the system it will be detected by the system and OTA updating will then be disabled, which is not what I want. So my second question is: Is it really necessary to root and if so what is the best temporary method?

ODIN flash TWRP then backup your stock ROM.

glm0025

Mar 16, 2011

Small piece of advice my friend, be sure to include EFS in the backup to be on the safe side, also I suggest making a copy on a external SD or transferring to a PC

Why efs?

Small piece of advice my friend, be sure to include EFS in the backup to be on the safe side, also I suggest making a copy on a external SD or transferring to a PC

According to TWRP they say:

Some devices have “special partitions” like WiMAX, pds, efs, etc. These partitions almost never need to be included in a normal backup.

I already did one restore from my backup which had not included efs and it worked ok. What exactly is efs and why would we need it?

glm0025

Mar 16, 2011
According to TWRP they say:

I already did one restore from my backup which had not included efs and it worked ok. What exactly is efs and why would we need it?
The EFS folder contains important information from the phone, like the IMEI for example, and if it gets erased by error it may affect your ability to successfully connect to a provider. Backups in TWRP will give you the option to backup important partitions one of those is the EFS folder, alternatively you may also use an application to make a backup (requires root) like EFS Manager(IMEI)-Note4 on the play store.