Spigen Cases for Note 4 Review

Search This thread

aturyan

May 19, 2012
Hey everyone, here are some video reviews I did on the Spigen Ultra Hybrid, Tough Armor, and Slim Armor for the Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Ultra Hybrid Review:

Slim Armor Review:

Tough Armor Review:

Neo Hybrid Review:

I'll also be reviewing the Neo Hybrid next and will be adding that to the post once I get that video up. Also, if you have any questions about the case, please feel free to ask.

Last edited:

DADDYDC650

Feb 4, 2010
Does this case cover the white bezel surrounding the glass? I have an S-Line clear case and the bottom portion of the case does not fully cover the white bezel portion under the home button.
Like so
fs8bs.jpg

Reactions: maniacmacs

DADDYDC650

Feb 4, 2010
Most reviews on Amazon claim that the heart rate sensor doesn't work all the time with your case.

btort1

Oct 20, 2013
I'm disappointed the edges don't have much tpu on the slim armor cases. I like to have a good grip, especially on my note

Amd4life

Dec 30, 2010
I have the tough armor, and while I like the case (especially for the sale price), the stand is VERY flimsy, even though it is metal. the hinge that connects to the plastic case, seems as if it will just fall off is you wiggle it too much.

aturyan

May 19, 2012
I have the tough armor, and while I like the case (especially for the sale price), the stand is VERY flimsy, even though it is metal. the hinge that connects to the plastic case, seems as if it will just fall off is you wiggle it too much.

The kickstand is not metal, it is cheap thin plastic. In the review I state for the slim armor I said that it has come off numerous times since its held theres no support in the hinge. It's easy to pop back on, but can be annoying since you have to take the case ofd to put it back on.

A tip to prevent it from coming off, hold the hinge area while you try to take it out so that it doesnt come off the hinge.

HTCMario

Apr 26, 2012
2 complaints about the Sigen tough armor:
1) flimsy, worthless kickstand. seidio does it right with their surface cases
2) kept the case in pocket with car keys and the back is already scratched up everywhere.

aturyan

May 19, 2012
2 complaints about the Sigen tough armor:
1) flimsy, worthless kickstand. seidio does it right with their surface cases
2) kept the case in pocket with car keys and the back is already scratched up everywhere.

Yea the kickstand is a p.o.s. At first I thought I'd rather not have it, but there are times when I need a kickstand so I'd rather have it then have nothing.

Amd4life

Dec 30, 2010
The tough armor also Is tad alippery. The main contact points for your Palm and hand should either have grips points or be made of rubber.

It's very sleek but also very slick, and the volume/power buttons should have more of a bump, or lettering to allow for better differential feeling vs the rest of the sides of the case. I have to always look at the buttons to make sure my fingers are in the right place.

NogaroS4

Sep 30, 2010
I bought the ultra hybrid, neo-hybrid, and slim armor. Does anyone else have some sloppiness on the left side of the ultra hybrid? Also notice some sloppiness with the neo-hybrid. I lent my cousin my sim armor until her cases come in so I cant comment on that one.

Currupt247

Oct 21, 2010
Miami, FL
Hey everyone, here are some video reviews I did on the Spigen Ultra Hybrid, Tough Armor, and Slim Armor for the Samsung Galaxy Note 4

I'll also be reviewing the Neo Hybrid next and will be adding that to the post once I get that video up. Also, if you have any questions about the case, please feel free to ask.

Great videos man. Well shot and covers the information very clearly.

NogaroS4

Sep 30, 2010
basically I can press on the sides and it squishes in on the left side whereas on the right it just feels solid. Same with the top..press it and it just feels solid. But press the bottom you can feel the tpu move towards the phone

aturyan

May 19, 2012
basically I can press on the sides and it squishes in on the left side whereas on the right it just feels solid. Same with the top..press it and it just feels solid. But press the bottom you can feel the tpu move towards the phone

I don't have that with the Neo Hybrid since the fit is just so tight but on the Tough Armor, Slim Armor, and Ultra Hybrid, because the fit is not as tight as the neo hybrid, there is a very very very slight amount of movement if you grip firmly but It's definitely not anything too serious.

jinda628

Nov 12, 2012
New York
I have the neo hybrid and:
- i dont like the textured feel at the back unlike the smooth back on note 3.
- finger cant touch heartrate monitor due to back cover being thick on that part of the case. Never had a successful measurement in like 50+ tries when case is on. So annoying.

Still looking for something to replace this. Sucks because I like neo hybrid in my note 3.

aturyan

May 19, 2012
I have the neo hybrid and:
- i dont like the textured feel at the back unlike the smooth back on note 3.
- finger cant touch heartrate monitor due to back cover being thick on that part of the case. Never had a successful measurement in like 50+ tries when case is on. So annoying.

Still looking for something to replace this. Sucks because I like neo hybrid in my note 3.

the heartrate works with mine, you just have to be really gentle.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Ultra Hybrid Review:

Slim Armor Review:

Tough Armor Review:

Neo Hybrid Review:

Does this case cover the white bezel surrounding the glass? I have an S-Line clear case and the bottom portion of the case does not fully cover the white bezel portion under the home button.
    Like so
    fs8bs.jpg
    the heartrate works with mine, you just have to be really gentle.

I bought the Spigen Thin Fit and the Ultra Capsule. Both suck and will be returned, for the below reasons ...

The Thin Fit makes a creaking noise every time I hold the phone. VERY annoying. The fit is off.

The Ultra Capsule was designed by somebody who either never used the phone, or has child-sized fingers. I'm a man, with average sized hands and fingers, and I cannot get the heart rate sensor to work with the Ultra Capsule because the cutout border is too thick and too close to the sensor. I've tried a million times holding my finger horizontally and vertically, with light, medium, and hard press, etc, and it doesn't work. I've only gotten it to read my pulse one time, and it was off by about 20 bpm. Also, the Ultra Capsule has a ridge below the home button / fingerprint reader that makes it difficult for anybody with medium to large fingers to easily scan a finger (especially thumb).

Even on the Thin Fit, the case is too close to the heart rate sensor to be used easily by somebody with medium to large fingers.

Every good case for the Note 4 will have adequate space and thinness next to the heart rate sensor for man-sized fingers to use the sensor easily. Also, a case should be recessed below the home button so medium to large fingers can swipe the fingerprint reader easily. Finally, a case should have a large enough cutout for every mic and speaker so that the case does not interfere with the mic or speaker functionality. The Ultra Capsule mic cutouts are so small that it interferes with the mics and makes recorded audio sound muffled.

You should consider actually using the phone and plugging things into the ports when doing reviews. I appreciate your time and effort to make and post the reviews; this is just a friendly suggestion to make your reviews better.

---------- Post added at 02:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 AM ----------

Since you took the time to review multiple cases, I figure the least I can do is offer some more suggestions to help make your reviews even better.

A few of the topics an excellent smartphone case review should include ...

1) Slickness/stickiness/grippy-ness of case.
    2) Fitment.
    3) Thickness of case. Use a digital caliper to really impress your viewers.
    4) Close up views of ports for mics and speakers.
    5) Test the ports of the special sensors like heart rate and fingerprint.
    6) Test multiple aftermarket headphone, usb, charger connectors with the ports.
    7) Test mic with and without the case to see if case affects quality/performance of mic.
    8) Quality of materials.
    9) Perceived value of case, based on price, material quality, warranty, etc.
    10) Degree of protection offered by case.
    11) Effect of skin oils and sweat on case finish.
    12) Examine case finish for (microscopic?) scratches after use.

I'm sure there are other things to discuss during a case review. I honestly haven't watched a large number of case reviews on youtube, and never done my own video review, but all of the above things I'd want to see in a review.
    So there's another thread on this issue but some people are having cutout issues with the Spigen Cases and so I thought I'd address it.

Okay so I took so super up close macro shots with my Canon 60mm and here are the pictures. Ordering from top to bottom: Ultra hybrid, Tough Armor, Slim Armor, Neo Hybrid. The Ultra Hybrid was on an AT&T white Note 4 and the other three were on a Black Tmobile Note 4. Seems like there's not really an issue with the tmobile or at&t versions. I also checked sound quality and there didn't seem to be an issue. I'm guessing that maybe Verizon versions perhaps maybe have a different placement or something.

IMG_0461.jpg

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0459.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg
    I have normally gone for the slim armor with other devices as for the Note 4 which is best Slim Armor or Tough Armor?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Honestly, the tough armor and slim armor are not quite as good as they were for the Note 3 in my opinion. The kickstand just kind of ruins it for me. For the note 4 though, I would say that the Tough Armor is more industrial feeling and more substantial in the hands than the Slim Armor which may feel a bit "cheaper." Try buying both with Amazon prime if you're a prime member and you can return both easily with Amazon's awesome customer service. If you buy directly from Spigen, you might have to pay for return shipping and etc..