GPS close to unusable :/

Search This thread

gekkehenkie11

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 9, 2010
I've got the 910F, MP 0.900, date of manufacture 18/1/2015 and my GPS works reliably, usually with an accuracy of 10 feet. I doubt if this problem relates to a specific hardware version or a lot more people would be making a lot more noise about it. I think there are simply some defective units out there which you should be able to get replaced under warranty.

Actually, starting to think mine was a software problem and not a hardware problem, might have fixed it, doing some more experiments ....

bajaj

Dec 31, 2008
Actually, starting to think mine was a software problem and not a hardware problem, might have fixed it, doing some more experiments ....

Confirmed a software issue. Installed the latest OTA BOF1 (app 200MB), tested for a few days, this GPS issue is gone. Satelite view is on par with my other devices, both indoor and outdoor, static and moving.

Also gone with this update: gpu issue with waze which gave big pixellated map.

gekkehenkie11

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 9, 2010
mind to share it with us ? so we can try too ?

Nah it's more due to my custom ROM. We didnt have com.qualcomm.location installed. Without it, everything SEEMS to work fine, but sat fix gets lost every now and then. So that service seems to stabilize the sat fix somehow ...

Ivrim

May 20, 2014
Nah it's more due to my custom ROM. We didnt have com.qualcomm.location installed. Without it, everything SEEMS to work fine, but sat fix gets lost every now and then. So that service seems to stabilize the sat fix somehow ...

You say you didn't have com.qualcomm.location installed... yet you say without it it seems to be okay. I'm confused, is it better with or without? :confused:

whoatemyling

Nov 27, 2014
Hardware version 1.1 here as well.

As per my previous post about removing the SD card --> Un-mounting the SD card from the "Storage" option in "Settings" also works with the same results. GPS functions fine when SD Card is unmounted.

Updated Note 4 to latest Canadian Firmware BOE1 and GPS is not any better.

Now using SD Card Unmount when attempting to use GPS on Note 4.

Reactions: jazzmachine

bergerstrasse

Jul 24, 2010
Frankfurt/Main little Manhatten
I have no problem with GPS
My Phone N910F
05902783ae19799648ae1bb20e1c3f21.jpg

Gesendet von meinem SM-N910F mit Tapatalk

Chefproll

Apr 27, 2014
I have no problem with GPS

I see grey bars in the screenshot.

Let me guess: That grey bars appear and vanish, together with the green check mark changing to a red minus, right ?
That grey bars come and go, right ?

So you actually HAVE GPS problems. See the videos at the very beginning of this thread. You should find some real familiar similarities.

Chefproll

Apr 27, 2014
Tiny update: Received a replacement device by Vodafone Germany today - SAME GPS problem plus an unresponsible back button. :rolleyes:
Next replacement expected next Tuesday.
If the third Note 4 shows the same erratic behavior, I'll try the Edge version.
S6 is totally out of question because Samsung foolishly killed the exchangeable battery and the SD card slot trying to copy eroded apples.

Chefproll

Apr 27, 2014
Next tiny update: Third Note 4 arrived. GPS SENSITIVITY is great, now - on par with devices like Sony's Z3, but still a bit inferior to the Sony Z2 Tablet. Usable.
So the sensitivity seems to be a purely hardware-related issue.
But still that problem with losing satellites, showing that infamous grey bars. I guess this problem strikes all Samsung devices running a more recent OS - judging by the countless signal dropout reports referring to Maps found at Google Play related to various Samsung devices.
Let's wait for the next update (5.1.1) and see if it gets better.

iggibar

Feb 1, 2014
Gps issue fixed!!

I have an update. Problem fixed for me!!
As some of you know, I had this same problem with my Note 3, as well as both of our Note 4s. Both of our Note 4s are under warranty, but I've given up running back and forth trying to get a fix via warranty or AT&T. After some digging, I found this thread [Note 3] GPS Hardware Fix [Pics] [Instructions] and followed the same general directions only modifying it by using iFixit's guide here: Note 4 Disassembly .

I noticed a few pins were totally flush with the motherboard, and proceeded with raising all pins higher. I also scored all the connecting zones on the metal frame. When putting the screen back on, I realized just how tight of a fit it is in the back frame, and that it was relatively easy to damage the pins during production/assembly(especially one the connects at a tiny corner). This is what happens when you rush a product to production! I've worked on many phones before, and can't remember the last time I was so disappointed in the low build quality. I wish this had the build quality of the iphone. I'm just glad this over with now because there's not a single phone on the market that I like. Prior to this fix, my GPS problem would come up within minutes of driving. I've been testing the GPS all day by setting long-distance travel routes, changing directions randomly, and just about anything to try to mess it up, but it has been just perfect. What a relief!!

Make sure to send thanks to SchecterRocker!

Last edited:

chong67

Sep 2, 2007
Atlanta
I finally begin to realized how bad the fix on the GPS is for this phone!

I was in a new city last week and I was out in the open space for 5 minutes and I could not get any lock. I notice it work best in your home town and you always get a quick lock provided you are in a good open space.

When I sit at the back of my friend's car, I lost GPS signal.

When I go jogging at the trails with tall tress, my exercise app would tell me "GPS signal lost". When I am out in the open, I get the GPS signal again.

Is there anything we can do to correct this? Samsung drop the ball on this one! Its a defect! Shame on them! A big company like this can make this simple mistakes!

Reactions: Chefproll

chong67

Sep 2, 2007
Atlanta
I am using "GPS Test" app and I am sitting inside my office with no windows. My Samsung Alpha got 15 satellite in use. The Note 4 have NONE in use. Amazing! (My Note 4 is the very first one bc I got it 1 week early before it is release from T-mobile).

I loose GPS signal under tall trees too.

iggibar

Feb 1, 2014
its not a gps lock app

Yes, I know, I've seen the video. That method requires root access, but my phone doesn't have root, and a permanent root hasn't been found yet. That's why I said what I said in my comment. GPS lock apps don't work, and writing files is useless when you don't have root. Anyways, if you read my post before yours, you'd see how I fixed my GPS problem.

xrayA4T

Aug 5, 2005
Joburg
Watch "How to Make Your GPS Lock Faster" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/oU67XHD0kj4
I call bs on this. The reasoning makes no sense. Agps downloads the ephemeris data via your data connection rather than from the satellite, that's all. Changing to another server is not going to be that much quicker. The data is tiny, 56kb, and is slowly changing so it will be cached. So the likelihood you'll ever get the data from the common server rather than your isp is minimal.

The issue on my Note 4 on 5.0 is that it's losing the last know position between reboots and not using rough ip based geo location to assist the GPS to first fix. I've got a fix the next fix is quick. It's only after reboots that the fix is slow.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Gps issue fixed!!

I have an update. Problem fixed for me!!
    As some of you know, I had this same problem with my Note 3, as well as both of our Note 4s. Both of our Note 4s are under warranty, but I've given up running back and forth trying to get a fix via warranty or AT&T. After some digging, I found this thread [Note 3] GPS Hardware Fix [Pics] [Instructions] and followed the same general directions only modifying it by using iFixit's guide here: Note 4 Disassembly .

I noticed a few pins were totally flush with the motherboard, and proceeded with raising all pins higher. I also scored all the connecting zones on the metal frame. When putting the screen back on, I realized just how tight of a fit it is in the back frame, and that it was relatively easy to damage the pins during production/assembly(especially one the connects at a tiny corner). This is what happens when you rush a product to production! I've worked on many phones before, and can't remember the last time I was so disappointed in the low build quality. I wish this had the build quality of the iphone. I'm just glad this over with now because there's not a single phone on the market that I like. Prior to this fix, my GPS problem would come up within minutes of driving. I've been testing the GPS all day by setting long-distance travel routes, changing directions randomly, and just about anything to try to mess it up, but it has been just perfect. What a relief!!

Make sure to send thanks to SchecterRocker!
    I really hope that it will fix your problem, but honestly I think it will be temporary. What you should also do was to bend the GPS connectors just a little, so they make contact with the antenna located at the backplate. They are located at the up-right corner of the board, as you look the phone from the back. And if you were determined to solve the problem once and for all, you could put two tiny pieces of paper under the connectors, so the will never get out of place again. Some say that this happens because the vibrator motor is somewhere near the GPS connectors, so they vibrate and loose their correct position, but I haven't verified that.
    Anyway, you did the hard part, which was to open the device for the first time, next time you open it, do these things and GPS problems will be gone for ever.

As @Melissakis suspected the fix was only temporary. I have now removed the mid-frame from my Note 4 following the steps shown in this video starting from the beginning of the video through to 1:35. I was aprehensive about inserting the plastic separation tool between the screen and the mid-frame, but that step went fairly well. I just took my time and worked my way around the frame several times. The step where you have to push the screen/motherboard out from the mid-frame was the most stressful part for me. I wasn't sure how hard to push and I was very concerned that I might crack the screen. I proceeded very cautiously and was successful in getting the screen/motherboard assembly to separate from the mid-frame without any damage (just make sure you push nearer the top of the phone as shown in the video). Now that I've done this once it won't be nearly as stressful if I ever have to do this again .

On close inspection of the mid-frame and the connectors on the motherboard that contact the mid-frame I have come to the conclusion that the problem is more likely due to the material used for the contacts in the mid-frame (rather than the connectors getting over compressed). These contacts are just thin tabs of metal that have been tinned (unlike the gold plated contacts on the motherboard). On my Note 4 the contacts on the mid-frame were oxidized (which is a typical problem with tinned surfaces) to the point that they blended right in with the gray plastic of the mid-frame. So, I gently scraped the tinned surfaces to remove the oxidation without removing the tinned surface. Then I applied a very thin coat of silicone dielectric grease to each surface. My hope is that the dielectric grease will prevent future oxidation. I then very gently went around the entire motherboard and very gently lifted each gold plated contact very slightly to let them apply a little more pressure to the tinned contacts. I'm not certain this is absolutely required because I think the oxidation is the most likely cause of the poor connections, but it can't hurt (as long as you don't bend them too far causing them to break; that would be a very bad thing).

With the contacts now refurbished I then carefully reassembled my Note 4 and tested the GPS. I am now getting a stronger signal and the GPS seems to lock on quicker and maintain the lock. I'm also now routinely getting about 10' accuracy (even on the first floor of my two-story home). Only time will tell if this is a permanent fix or if I will need to repeat the process periodically. I will report back if/when I need to repeat this process.
    I love how OP keeps ignoring my (logical) replies now.

Once again, it's just a phone dude. You are spending wayyyy too much time on this. People aren't doing your comparisons because they simply don't care and aren't obsessed about this like you are. If the GPS is working for them, they don't care to do a comparison. I know that's how I feel at least.

Again, just get a replacement (again) or simply get another phone and move on. Why do you keep torturing yourself? It's getting to the point of trolling now. You keep posting long and ridiculous posts about something that 99% of people aren't experiencing.
    Just sold your Note 4, story end.

You said got people complain but in fact I only seen you complain GPS got issue.
    No mate,he is not the only one.
    My note is exactly the same,it's not stable as it has to be.
    My old galaxy s2 have a more stable gps.
    If you don't have this issue,why respond with sell your note.
    Makes no sense.
    Ah, miss iridaki - I've been waiting for your appearance - as the world not only awaits your selfies. :D

OK, who needs a fix indoors?
    Oh, don't be fooled by the assumed obvious - which isn't that obvious as it seems...
    Here's your answers:

1) Indoor reception is an indicator of the sensitivity of a GPS receiver. Under the open sky, just every GPS receiver delivers a sound performance - so you cannot see differences.
    But if you've got a good indoor reception, you'll also get a high sensitive under problematic conditions - e. g. under bad weather conditions, in cities where you are surrounded by tall buildings, or in regions like forests or even underwater. Performance in locations like forests is highly important for outdoor enthusiasts or people doing geocaching.
    And you'll be quite happy if your navigation software leads you to your destination even if it's raining cats and dogs - instead of being forced to leave your car to ask for directions.
    So if your device performs well indoors, it is very likely to also perform well in every demanding outdoor situations.

Practical, personal example: Every year, I leave for a months vacation to Asia. I usually don't follow the beaten tourist tracks, I prefer the secluded, more unknown places. That often leads me into jungle regions, tall trees everywhere. If I can't rely on a solid GPS fix, I can get lost in no time.
    If I know that my Note 4's indoor reception is pretty good, I can be assured it won't leave me if I'm out in the middle of nowhere.

If you can't find your way from the kitchen to the living room, your problems extent further than your phone.
    2) Most of the time, you use for mobile phone indoors. At your home, at shopping malls, you name it.
    Of course you know where you are, so it might sound needless to know your GPS position.
    But just have a look at your power options, at the information about your battery drain: Settings > Power Saving, tap the chart.
    Then have a look at the "Location on" graph.
    You'll notice that your GPS receiver is active pretty often - even if you don't use it actively and knowingly.
    That's because many apps use the GPS in the background - like Google does; GPS is used every time you utilize e. g. Google Now, or use your browser (remember the question if you wish to allow the browser know your location ? - If you agreed, it will use GPS, even if you aren't aware of that).
    If you've got good GPS reception, GPS will be used just for a very short time. But if the reception is bad (e. g. caused by bad indoor reception), the GPS receiver will be on for a long time; could be for hours.
    That drains your battery significantly.

So good indoor reception is also one of the keys to good battery life.

I'm not saying the Note 4 is perfect or has the best GPS antenna yet, but these long threads with people arguing over nothing are getting really frustrating.
    You see, it's not just over nothing. It SEEMS like that at first sight - but be rest assured: I am a very practical person (e. g. I don't care at all about benchmarks - if a device just fulfills my needs, I don't need any more information). I don't care if e. g. the front camera distorts my pretty face.
    But I care if a malfunction shortens battery life or leads to vital features becoming unusable if external conditions aren't optimal.

And please don't forget about the most important impact of such discussions: This way, Samsung gets aware of a problem. So there's a chance that the problems will be solved by an update - for the benefit of ALL users, even if they weren't aware about the problem at all.
    If you report the problem to the Samsung "support", you can be sure nobody will care about it. I checked that myself (for Germany, to be precise): I reported a problem more than seven times. Always the same problem, always using a different name. The staff always assured me that the issue was stored in the system and forwarded to the technicians. Guess what ? - At every next call (or chat), I was told that I was the only one reporting it, nobody else had that problem. :D
    But threads at XDA are likely to be noticed by Samsung - and the media.

For me, if it can get me from place A to B when I'm driving or walking in an unknown area, then it's OK.
    That's one of the reasons why I raise that problem.
    As said: If your GPS receiver works well, it WILL navigate you safely from A to B. But if it's sensibility is weak, it will do so under bright sunshine, but will fail if there's heavy weather, as such conditions attenuate the GPS signal strength significantly. Result: Under heavy rain, your device will be unable to navigate you safely from A to B.
    If you search the net a bit, you'll also find a lot of similar threads where people ran into exactly that situation with the Note 4: On the road, the GPS lost position, leading them nowhere, showing their location 100 m away from the street, and so on.

Convinced - and bit less emotional, now ? ;)