Secret Display Mode (Less Saturated and not Yellowish) [No Root required]

Search This thread

HDxDaniel

Aug 24, 2013
UPDATE: there is an alternative app that let you change the color mode, but you need root.
If you're interested, this is the xda thread, and the dev is @emandt. This is the only way I've found of having a not saturated color mode if you don't have a touchwiz rom, like Cyanogenmod.

< Tutorial >
1 - Join this community
2 - Once you have access buy the app from the store.
3 - Open the app and grant superuser permissions. The app might closes (or gives you NO ROOT error) but don't worry, just try to open the app some times until it opens.
4 - Change the Preset to Natural Color or Film Mode and enable Start at boot. That's all.

-----------------------------

Hello I found a secret Display Mode hidden in a system setting, to use it you need the app 'Nova Launcher' or 'More Shorcuts' and you don't need root. This hidden Display Mode isn't saturated nor yellowish :)

HOW TO GET THIS HIDDEN DISPLAY MODE:

Using Nova Launcher:
1. Go to your nova launcher homescreen, tap and hold anywhehere on screen.
2. Choose Widgets, then choose the one named 'Activities', which is a Nova Launcher's widget.
3. Now tap on Settings, then tap or hold ModePreviewTablet (".ModePreview" on 6.0.1) . (Note: if you tap you create a shorcut, if you hold you use that setting without creating a shorcut).
4. Choose a different option than the one is selected, then tap on the first one (Adapt Display), finally hit OK.

'Nova Launcher', link to Play store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher

Using 'More Shorcuts' app:
1. Open the app.
2. Choose 'Activity'.
3. Hit Settings.
4. Tap on ModePreviewTablet, write a name for the shortcut and Accept. Or just click the right Blue arrow and Launch the Activity.
5. Once you have open it, choose a mode that is not already selected, then tap on the first option (Adapt Display) and hit OK.

'More Shorcuts' app link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ss.moreshortcuts

-

Quick Video Tutorial:
http://youtu.be/L4Va3yM3Ssg

Video Tutorial (youtube), made by @JDR0iD :

Note: Although the device used on the video is a Galaxy S6 this method works on other devices as well.

------------------

How to apply this Display Mode on boot using Tasker (No root required):

http://youtu.be/UjKEC2AcMhc

- After you make that tasker profile when you boot your phone and unlock screen you have to wait some seconds and the Display Mode menu will appear, choose an option that is not selected, then tap on the first one (Adapt Display) and finally click ok (OR double tap the Adapt display option twice).

------------------

Screenshots comparison:

Original Display Mode (Adaptative Display):
150515022447847799.jpg

Secret Display Mode:
150515022440840343.jpg

-

Close look to Default Display Mode:
150515022501382235.jpg

Close look to Secret Display Mode:
150515022454303524.jpg

------------------

Compatible Devices List:

- Note 4 (Lollipop, KitKat*).
- Note EDGE
- Note 3 (Lollipop)
- Galaxy S6
- ¿All Samsung Devices that run Lollipop Touchwiz based roms? (Not sure)

If you have other phone and this works for you please leave a comment with your device name.

Not Working / Not sure if working:

- Note 3 NEO (kitkat 4.4.2)
- Galaxy S4 (kitkat 4.4.2)

(*)
A user reported that this secret mode works on Note 4 kitkat too, but using a slightly different method:

It looks like it works on Note 4 with KitKat, though I had to do it a little differently than the OP's directions in Nova. This may also be because I haven't updated to the newest MateriNova update.

Bring up the "Add to Home screen" menu (press and hold on a blank area of the screen)
Go to Shortcuts
Activities
Scroll down to Settings (system settings, not Nova)
ModePreview (NOT ModePreviewTablet)
Tap, and set a shortcut

Now, the shortcut sends you to the display settings, only everything is grayed out except for Adaptive Display. (The other three options: AMOLED cinema, AMOLED photo, and Basic.) I unchecked Adaptive Display, then re-checked it, to make sure it actually did change, then saved.

------------------

NOTES:

- This method was tested under Android 5.0.1 on an exynos Note 4 (SM-N910C), it should work on any Note 4 as well as other Similar devices (other Samsung devices), but I'm not 100% sure. You can try, you won't break anything, haha.

- If 'ModePreviewTablet' doesn't work, try 'ModePreview'.

- This 'secret' Display mode has the same name as the default one but it's different.

- To use default display mode again just change it in Display, in Settings app.

- Display mode may reset to default one if you open Videos app.
Also this Display Mode resets when you power off your phone, so should create a Shorcut using either MoreShorcuts or Nova Launcher's widget.

- I found this Activity in Tasker, but I dont know how can I launch it every time I power on my device, if you know how to do it tell me please.

-------------------

Sorry for my English.
-

Thanks for your support!!:

0d95974a2efd5569fd5a567a562a384a.png

http://www.elandroidelibre.com/2015...ung-fotos-de-contactos-nitidas-y-hexlock.html

http://www.cultofandroid.com/73501/...play-mode-on-your-samsung-galaxy-without-root

http://www.galaxyclub.nl/2015/05/samsung-galaxy-s6-note-4-tip-kleurweergave-verbeteren

-
Screenshots (Attached) of Nova Launcher's widget:

Attachments

• 1430911536979.jpg
    1430911536979.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 15,603
  • 1430911558176.jpg
    1430911558176.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 15,363
  • 1430911640384.jpg
    1430911640384.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 14,373
  • 1430911703303.jpg
    1430911703303.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 14,331
  • 1430911710566.jpg
    1430911710566.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 15,534
Last edited:

luismedina

EDIT: You can use an app named 'More Shorcuts' instead of using Nova Launcher's Widget.

-

Hello, to use this color mode you just have to use a widget named Activities (you need Nova launcher for that), then choose Settings and tap (or hold) on an option named ModePreviewTablet, then choose the first option (Adapt Display) and click OK, you will notice that the colors are less saturated and that screen is not as yellowish as with Basic or AMOLED Photo Mode. If you choose first option, click OK, and nothing happens, just try again but this time click on the second option and then on the first one, finally click OK. :)

Screenshots (Attached).
-----
NOTE: This 'secret' color mode has the same name as the default color mode but it's different.

NOTE2: To use default color mode again just change it in Display, in Settings app.

NOTE3: Color mode may reset to default one if you open apps such us YouTube, Gallery, Videos...

-
Sorry for my English.

Sent from my SM-N910C using XDA Free mobile app
-

WOW! It really worked, and it looks so much better, thanks!

Reactions: HDxDaniel

mythoc

Jun 7, 2011
its funny.. how did you even find this one? [emoji14] good job.. i dont know if I like it yet but its something new [emoji14]

Daemonum1980

Nov 22, 2014
can't seem to find the setting on 5.0.1 :/

EDIT:nvm found it, thx for the great find on this.

EDIT: damn been playing around with it and i think its the best setting of all. hopefully there is a way to make it permanent.

EDIT: Display mode does not reset here when i open gallery/youtube etc. i turned off amoled cinema setting in video options (purple icon)

Last edited:
Reactions: HDxDaniel

spexwood

Feb 13, 2011
I am absolutely LOVING this display mode! Looks so much better than than the other Auto.

thedicemaster

May 10, 2009
I don't know about saturation, but white is much brighter using adaptive from newmodepreview.
comparing it to modepreview and modepreviewtablet makes them seem yellow.

HDxDaniel

Aug 24, 2013
I don't know about saturation, but white is much brighter using adaptive from newmodepreview.
comparing it to modepreview and modepreviewtablet makes them seem yellow.

That's because of the contrast and saturation, which are increased in default Adaptative Display mode.

Sent from my SM-N910C using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: there is an alternative app that let you change the color mode, but you need root.
    If you're interested, this is the xda thread, and the dev is @emandt. This is the only way I've found of having a not saturated color mode if you don't have a touchwiz rom, like Cyanogenmod.

< Tutorial >
    1 - Join this community
    2 - Once you have access buy the app from the store.
    3 - Open the app and grant superuser permissions. The app might closes (or gives you NO ROOT error) but don't worry, just try to open the app some times until it opens.
    4 - Change the Preset to Natural Color or Film Mode and enable Start at boot. That's all.

-----------------------------

Hello I found a secret Display Mode hidden in a system setting, to use it you need the app 'Nova Launcher' or 'More Shorcuts' and you don't need root. This hidden Display Mode isn't saturated nor yellowish :)

HOW TO GET THIS HIDDEN DISPLAY MODE:

Using Nova Launcher:
    1. Go to your nova launcher homescreen, tap and hold anywhehere on screen.
    2. Choose Widgets, then choose the one named 'Activities', which is a Nova Launcher's widget.
    3. Now tap on Settings, then tap or hold ModePreviewTablet (".ModePreview" on 6.0.1) . (Note: if you tap you create a shorcut, if you hold you use that setting without creating a shorcut).
    4. Choose a different option than the one is selected, then tap on the first one (Adapt Display), finally hit OK.

'Nova Launcher', link to Play store:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher

Using 'More Shorcuts' app:
    1. Open the app.
    2. Choose 'Activity'.
    3. Hit Settings.
    4. Tap on ModePreviewTablet, write a name for the shortcut and Accept. Or just click the right Blue arrow and Launch the Activity.
    5. Once you have open it, choose a mode that is not already selected, then tap on the first option (Adapt Display) and hit OK.

'More Shorcuts' app link:

-

Quick Video Tutorial:
    http://youtu.be/L4Va3yM3Ssg

Video Tutorial (youtube), made by @JDR0iD :

Note: Although the device used on the video is a Galaxy S6 this method works on other devices as well.

------------------

How to apply this Display Mode on boot using Tasker (No root required):

http://youtu.be/UjKEC2AcMhc

- After you make that tasker profile when you boot your phone and unlock screen you have to wait some seconds and the Display Mode menu will appear, choose an option that is not selected, then tap on the first one (Adapt Display) and finally click ok (OR double tap the Adapt display option twice).

------------------

Screenshots comparison:

Original Display Mode (Adaptative Display):
    150515022447847799.jpg

Secret Display Mode:
    150515022440840343.jpg

-

Close look to Default Display Mode:
    150515022501382235.jpg

Close look to Secret Display Mode:
    150515022454303524.jpg

------------------

Compatible Devices List:

- Note 4 (Lollipop, KitKat*).
    - Note EDGE
    - Note 3 (Lollipop)
    - Galaxy S6
    - ¿All Samsung Devices that run Lollipop Touchwiz based roms? (Not sure)

If you have other phone and this works for you please leave a comment with your device name.

Not Working / Not sure if working:

- Note 3 NEO (kitkat 4.4.2)
    - Galaxy S4 (kitkat 4.4.2)

(*)
    A user reported that this secret mode works on Note 4 kitkat too, but using a slightly different method:

It looks like it works on Note 4 with KitKat, though I had to do it a little differently than the OP's directions in Nova. This may also be because I haven't updated to the newest MateriNova update.

Bring up the "Add to Home screen" menu (press and hold on a blank area of the screen)
    Go to Shortcuts
    Activities
    Scroll down to Settings (system settings, not Nova)
    ModePreview (NOT ModePreviewTablet)
    Tap, and set a shortcut

Now, the shortcut sends you to the display settings, only everything is grayed out except for Adaptive Display. (The other three options: AMOLED cinema, AMOLED photo, and Basic.) I unchecked Adaptive Display, then re-checked it, to make sure it actually did change, then saved.

------------------

NOTES:

- This method was tested under Android 5.0.1 on an exynos Note 4 (SM-N910C), it should work on any Note 4 as well as other Similar devices (other Samsung devices), but I'm not 100% sure. You can try, you won't break anything, haha.

- If 'ModePreviewTablet' doesn't work, try 'ModePreview'.

- This 'secret' Display mode has the same name as the default one but it's different.

- To use default display mode again just change it in Display, in Settings app.

- Display mode may reset to default one if you open Videos app.
    Also this Display Mode resets when you power off your phone, so should create a Shorcut using either MoreShorcuts or Nova Launcher's widget.

- I found this Activity in Tasker, but I dont know how can I launch it every time I power on my device, if you know how to do it tell me please.

-------------------

Sorry for my English.
    -

Thanks for your support!!:

0d95974a2efd5569fd5a567a562a384a.png

http://www.elandroidelibre.com/2015...ung-fotos-de-contactos-nitidas-y-hexlock.html

http://www.cultofandroid.com/73501/...play-mode-on-your-samsung-galaxy-without-root

http://www.galaxyclub.nl/2015/05/samsung-galaxy-s6-note-4-tip-kleurweergave-verbeteren

-
    Screenshots (Attached) of Nova Launcher's widget:
    Interesting find. But i still think it looks off with added saturation and pastel looking colors. I will keep the basic mode. Even though 'washed out' might be some term people call it, I still find it to be most accurate, neutral and pleasing to the eye.
    I have to re-apply this method every time I restart my phone, that's a bit sad. But anyways, nice!!
    Hey, I just updated the first post, I added a video tutorial which explains how to apply this option on boot using Tasker. :)
    For the record, when I followed the instructions and got to the part where you tap one of the other display modes and then tap Adaptive, the preview was giving me yellowish whites too. But then I applied the setting and all my whites are crisp and clean.
    So you have to apply the setting and not judge it by the preview.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    I must not be a screen conissueir because I also followed the instructions, it was major washed out for me. I get that real life isn't the over saturated madness that we are used to on our mobile phones. But my world interpreted through my eyes is nowhere near as drab as this secret screen mode.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using XDA Free mobile app