Microsoft to Counter “OK Google” with Bing Torque

When Microsoft is making apps for Android, users should be aware that something … more

Google Confirms “Android Lollipop Day” for November 3rd

A little over a week ago, Google announced the latest iteration of … more

Get Your XDA 2015 Custom Avatar and Signature Images Here

As stated in our motto, XDA Developer is for developers, by developers. The … more

Pin Your Photos on Android Lollipop with Photo Pinner

In the last few weeks,we have been talking quite a bit about Android 5.0 Lollipop. This … more

[Q] Note 4 for straight talk?

OP thegipper

15th September 2014, 09:02 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 19

72 posts
Just wondering what will be the easiest way to get a Note 4 that will work with straight talk. I'm sick of paying 100+ dollars a month with US cellular and was thinking of just buying a note 4 when it comes out for full price and setting it up with straight talk.

Do I just buy an unlocked GSM version of the Note 4 or do I need a ATT version? I know I need to change some settings ect to make it work. I obviously would want it to be LTE and have everything work (phone, MMS, etc).

Sorry if this is a newb question.

Thanks for the help!
15th September 2014, 09:33 PM   |  #2  
Flag Homestead, FL
Thanks Meter: 25

88 posts
Donate to Me
More
Straight talk uses GSM and CDMA from various networks, so you have to check where you are located. I'm getting the att version or unlocked and putting a cricket sim in it. Can't beat the new 10gb unlimited talk text plan for 55 with auto pay no taxes or fees. I get good reception since they are att but the data is limited to 8mb downloads which is fine for me.
15th September 2014, 10:27 PM   |  #3  
Flag Louisville
Thanks Meter: 214

448 posts
More
You need the T-mobile version. If history repeats itself, it will work with both the GSM Straight talk sims (Tmobile/ATT) as the S4, S5, and Note 3 has. The international version won't get all the bands you need and the ATT version removed some bands in the Note 3. ATT is shady like that plus it will be locked down tighter than a drum.

BTW, don't even bother with a CDMA sim. It runs off of sprint most likely and we all know how horrible that is.
Last edited by mircury; 15th September 2014 at 10:32 PM.
16th September 2014, 05:58 PM   |  #4  
OP Member

72 posts
So basically I need an unlocked GSM version. My wifes GS2 is GSM because I think straight talk uses ATT towers in this area (Wisconsin).

So would I be better off getting a Tmobile, ATT or just an unlocked GSM version (non international so I can use LTE) if I plan on at least rooting?

And I'm assuming Amazaon will have unlocked GSM versions of the note 4 for sale when it comes out? Also, do need to worry about bands/frequencies or will any US unlocked GSM note 4 work?

Thanks for the input and help guys!
Last edited by thegipper; 16th September 2014 at 06:03 PM.
16th September 2014, 09:41 PM   |  #5  
Flag Louisville

448 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegipper

So basically I need an unlocked GSM version. My wifes GS2 is GSM because I think straight talk uses ATT towers in this area (Wisconsin).

So would I be better off getting a Tmobile, ATT or just an unlocked GSM version (non international so I can use LTE) if I plan on at least rooting?

And I'm assuming Amazaon will have unlocked GSM versions of the note 4 for sale when it comes out? Also, do need to worry about bands/frequencies or will any US unlocked GSM note 4 work?

Thanks for the input and help guys!

Ya, the international version is not an option here in the US. The carriers are moving to voice over lte and the international version won't have the correct LTE bands or at least they didn't on the previous samsung devices. The Tmobile version will work on ATT and Tmobile straight talk sims with full LTE compatibility if history repeats itself.

The international versions used to be great here in the US in the Note 1 era but with the introduction of LTE on frequencies not wildly used in Europe, you can't do that anymore. Samsung has never made a "US" unlocked version of the Note so it doesn't exist. Only the international versions.
Last edited by mircury; 18th September 2014 at 02:41 AM.
18th September 2014, 07:25 PM   |  #6  
OP Member

72 posts
So I should get a Tmobile note 4. How would I go about getting it unlocked so I can use it with straight talk?

Thanks
18th September 2014, 07:44 PM   |  #7  
OP Member

72 posts
Also, how do I go about buying a Tmobile note 4 (when they come out) if I don't have a contract with them? Can I just go in there and buy one for full retail or how does that work?
18th September 2014, 08:19 PM   |  #8  
Flag Outside of Chicago
Thanks Meter: 3,661

8,974 posts
Donate to Me
More
tmobile doesn't have contracts, and they wont sell you a phone unlocked unless you have been a customer with them for a certain period of time
18th September 2014, 11:28 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 85

1,476 posts
Does anyone know roughly how much the note 4 will cost? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Free mobile app
19th September 2014, 06:26 PM   |  #10  
Flag Louisville

448 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegipper

Also, how do I go about buying a Tmobile note 4 (when they come out) if I don't have a contract with them? Can I just go in there and buy one for full retail or how does that work?

Yup, just go in there and buy one and use cellunlocker.net. If they won't sell you one without knowing someone with tmobile or having an account yourself, keep in mind that there are no contracts, so as with the note 3, you can sign up and cancel it at any time and keep the phone.

Reference this thread if you have questions. A lot of it applies to the Note 4 as well.

---------- Post added at 01:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by xda23

Does anyone know roughly how much the note 4 will cost? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Free mobile app

It's reported to be $749.76 or $31.24 a month with 0 interest.
Last edited by mircury; 19th September 2014 at 06:36 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to mircury For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread