FORUMS

Galaxy S6 & Edge get €100 Price Cut—New Models Incoming

Samsung has dropped the price of both the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge by … more

How To Port Fully Featured Sony Xperia Z4 Camera

Xperia Z4’s hardware may not impress, but its software is definitely … more

Experimental TWRP Available For Moto G 2015

XDA Senior Member squid2 has posted experimental builds of TWRP for the Moto G … more

Sunday Debate: How Can We Get a No-Compromise Phone?

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on Compromises. Come with your opinions and … more

Locked Bootloader & Knox??

2,182 posts
Thanks Meter: 162
 
By @home, Senior Member on 4th September 2014, 02:37 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Are theses evil technologies present on the Note 4?
 
 
4th September 2014, 03:21 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 96
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by @home

Are theses evil technologies present on the Note 4?

Knox is guaranteed, and if you buy the phone from Verizon or AT&T, the bootloader will be locked.
4th September 2014, 03:25 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 162
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirobelec

Knox is guaranteed, and if you buy the phone from Verizon or AT&T, the bootloader will be locked.

No No No - UK Here I always buy my devices Sim Free - Never go near a carrier.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to @home For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th September 2014, 04:16 PM |#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 96
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by @home

No No No - UK Here I always buy my devices Sim Free - Never go near a carrier.

There's a good lad.

Well, out of the box only Sonys, HTCs and Nexuses come with a locked bootloader, but the HTCs and the Nexuses are brutally easy to unlock.

International SIM free Samsungs don't have a locked bootloader, and the Knox is there only to tell Samsung representatives that your warranty is void. xD
4th September 2014, 04:29 PM |#5  
Senior Member
Flag Irving, TX
Thanks Meter: 138
 
More
Hopefully both are present. So many folks want to use these devices for BYOD, the more locked down they are, the better.
4th September 2014, 04:30 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 162
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamberc

Hopefully both are present. So many folks want to use these devices for BYOD, the more locked down they are, the better.

BYOD?

Locking a phone that I have bought & now belongs to me should be illegal.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to @home For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th September 2014, 08:23 PM |#7  
Bataga's Avatar
Senior Member
Georgia
Thanks Meter: 923
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamberc

Hopefully both are present. So many folks want to use these devices for BYOD, the more locked down they are, the better.

Why are you here?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bataga For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th September 2014, 08:25 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Flag Irving, TX
Thanks Meter: 138
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bataga

Why are you here?

Pardon? I'm not sure I understand the context of your question.
4th September 2014, 08:27 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 162
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bataga

Why are you here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamberc

Pardon? I'm not sure I understand the context of your question.

Why are you you on XDA if you want everything locked down. The whole idea is to rom & mod.

With your attitude we may as well call it a day.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to @home For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th September 2014, 08:29 PM |#10  
Senior Member
Flag Bradenton, FL
Thanks Meter: 312
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by @home

BYOD?

Locking a phone that I have bought & now belongs to me should be illegal.

BYOD means "Bring Your Own Device". He's referring to large corporations who allow their employees to use any device they want for business purposes. Large corporations and governments generally like these devices to be locked down to minimize the chances they are hacked. I think his point (whether we agree or not) is that if Note 4 is locked down hard it's better for those who wish to use one in one of these organizations.

Personally I don't have a problem with a bootloader that comes locked by default from the manufacturer to protect the unsavvy, but it should be something that's not difficult for someone who is technically savvy to unlock.
4th September 2014, 08:33 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 162
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtalum

BYOD means "Bring Your Own Device". He's referring to large corporations who allow their employees to use any device they want for business purposes. Large corporations and governments generally like these devices to be locked down to minimize the chances they are hacked. I think his point (whether we agree or not) is that if Note 4 is locked down hard it's better for those who wish to use one in one of these organizations.

Personally I don't have a problem with a bootloader that comes locked by default from the manufacturer to protect the unsavvy, but it should be something that's not difficult for someone who is technically savvy to unlock.

Crazy idea - It's my phone & i should be free to do as I please - If i want to be tied I'd by an iphone.

Back on track....

Is the Note 4 Bootloader Locked??
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to @home For This Useful Post: [ View ]

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes