Locked Bootloader & Knox??

Search This thread

sirobelec

Feb 20, 2014
No No No - UK Here I always buy my devices Sim Free - Never go near a carrier.

There's a good lad. :D

Well, out of the box only Sonys, HTCs and Nexuses come with a locked bootloader, but the HTCs and the Nexuses are brutally easy to unlock.

International SIM free Samsungs don't have a locked bootloader, and the Knox is there only to tell Samsung representatives that your warranty is void. xD

chamberc

Feb 23, 2011
Irving, TX
Hopefully both are present. So many folks want to use these devices for BYOD, the more locked down they are, the better.

gtalum

Mar 18, 2011
Bradenton, FL
BYOD?

Locking a phone that I have bought & now belongs to me should be illegal.

BYOD means "Bring Your Own Device". He's referring to large corporations who allow their employees to use any device they want for business purposes. Large corporations and governments generally like these devices to be locked down to minimize the chances they are hacked. I think his point (whether we agree or not) is that if Note 4 is locked down hard it's better for those who wish to use one in one of these organizations.

Personally I don't have a problem with a bootloader that comes locked by default from the manufacturer to protect the unsavvy, but it should be something that's not difficult for someone who is technically savvy to unlock.

@home

Feb 16, 2009
BYOD means "Bring Your Own Device". He's referring to large corporations who allow their employees to use any device they want for business purposes. Large corporations and governments generally like these devices to be locked down to minimize the chances they are hacked. I think his point (whether we agree or not) is that if Note 4 is locked down hard it's better for those who wish to use one in one of these organizations.

Personally I don't have a problem with a bootloader that comes locked by default from the manufacturer to protect the unsavvy, but it should be something that's not difficult for someone who is technically savvy to unlock.

Crazy idea - It's my phone & i should be free to do as I please - If i want to be tied I'd by an iphone.

Back on track....

Is the Note 4 Bootloader Locked??

chamberc

Feb 23, 2011
Irving, TX
Why are you you on XDA if you want everything locked down. The whole idea is to rom & mod.

With your attitude we may as well call it a day.

The purpose of XDA is not to rom & mod. It's actually to customizing the look and adding functionality, neither of which necessarily mean rooting, modding, or unlocking.

I'm not against handset manufacturers offering developer editions of phones, but definitely don't want the broad set of phones to be so easily modified from base designs as approved by the carriers. Carriers certify and must provide agreements to companies who use their services.

@home

Feb 16, 2009
The purpose of XDA is not to rom & mod. It's actually to customizing the look and adding functionality, neither of which necessarily mean rooting, modding, or unlocking.

I'm not against handset manufacturers offering developer editions of phones, but definitely don't want the broad set of phones to be so easily modified from base designs as approved by the carriers. Carriers certify and must provide agreements to companies who use their services.

That's why i never buy a carrier device always Sim Free.

So I can do as a please.

RMXO

Feb 20, 2011
CA
Crazy idea - It's my phone & i should be free to do as I please - If i want to be tied I'd by an iphone.

Back on track....

Is the Note 4 Bootloader Locked??

For sure are Verizon and AT&T and not sure about Sprint. TMO will be the way to go for unlocked bootloader on GSM.

chong67

Sep 2, 2007
Atlanta
I have never own a Samsung phone.

Can I get the bootloader tempered and keep the Knox intact? I will be using it on T-mobile.

bogdan1980

Sep 28, 2012
Bucharest greatest city ever
No you will loose warranty. With Note 4 Samsuck add third Knox protection, it will be even harder to root it or impossible to root. And do not forget locked bootloader. And Custom status. And few more protection that samsuck put it for not give us waranty. You buy an crippled phone, your phone, full of protections put up by Koreans.
Samsuck new quote is this: You buy our phone but it's still ours. You don't own it.

Note 3 rooted knox 1, my last Samsuck crap. I want freedom. Stay away from Samsuck!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Pardon? I'm not sure I understand the context of your question.

Why are you you on XDA if you want everything locked down. The whole idea is to rom & mod.

With your attitude we may as well call it a day.
    Hopefully both are present. So many folks want to use these devices for BYOD, the more locked down they are, the better.

BYOD?

Locking a phone that I have bought & now belongs to me should be illegal.
    So are you saying that it may be impossible to root the Note 4?? I plan on getting mine from T-Mobile. Don't want it if I can't root it.

thanks

What you want is an unlocked bootloader. You have the best chance for this with Tmobile. With an unlocked bootloader you don't need an exploit to obtain root. It is as simple as doing chainfire's CF_auto_root and you are done.

As with any new device, wait for confirmation from the developers here on the Tmobile versions bootloader status (This took about a week for the Note 3). This will save you a lot of time and heartache.
    If you hate Samsung so much, why are you trolling on a Samsung forum?

Go buy something else and leave us alone...

I don't hate Samsung. I use i9000, P5110 and N7100 and appreciate excellent hardware quality.

It is just the newest Sammy philosophy that I can't stand, it simply doesn't fit into Linux & Android shareware idea. They went off-road with Knox.

tetakpatalked from Nexus 7 flo
    I found this funny. From this morning's ventures when contemplating ordering from AT&T.
    Screenshot.png