Get a Complete Set of Logs with Andy Log

The importance of proper logging is undeniable. No, we’re not talking about lumberjack work. … more

Try Some Android Lollipop Applications on Your Device

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been officially announced and lucky users of Google Nexus 5 … more

AutoCon Manages Your Connections to Perserve Battery Life

As we’ve talked about in the past, battery life is still somewhat of a sore … more

How to Unlock and Root a Nexus Device – XDA TV

It is official–Google has released the Nexus 6 and the Nexus 9. The Nexus family … more

Which version will the XDA Devs support ?

OP tarektarabichi

4th September 2014, 04:46 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Abu Dhabi
Thanks Meter: 12

51 posts
More
The Snapdragon vs. the Exynos ?
What is the support path ?
We've seen it on previous phone (I9500 vs. I9505 for example)
Would love get some insight as it would also provide help in buying decisions.
4th September 2014, 05:52 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 5

196 posts
Snapdragon [emoji106]tmobile [emoji7] bliss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4th September 2014, 11:28 AM   |  #3  
Account currently disabled
Flag straya kienttt
Thanks Meter: 473

1,816 posts
More
Too early to call, but it has been a "tradition" that the Snapdragon model will be the more widely distributed model. The Exynos model DOES come with LTE now, so that tradition might change, but it only supports CAT4 instead of CAT6 like on the Snapdragon model. I am THINKING that again the Snapdragon model will be the more popular one so that will be the one that devs will support.
4th September 2014, 12:43 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 1,196

2,316 posts
Donate to Me
More
I guess more of exynos as we've seen in note 123

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
4th September 2014, 06:15 PM   |  #5  
Flag Louisville
Thanks Meter: 213

440 posts
More
Until we see big OEM's other than samsung using exynos, developer support will be more focused on snapdragon because they are widely used in other phones. There will likely be many top tier android devices from multiple OEM's using the Snapdragon 805 SOC. Samsung is still the only OEM of any size buying the exynos SOC.

My bet is firmly in the snapdragon side for the Note 4. This iteration will prove no different from the last generation and the generation before it. Exynos developer support has been poor at best. There were even a couple of posts where developer device maintainers have stopped developing for it in protest. AOSP for the Exynos note 3 was a slooooooow grind. CM and AOSP was available much much quicker for the snapdragon.
Last edited by mircury; 4th September 2014 at 06:23 PM.
5th September 2014, 09:00 PM   |  #6  
Moderator Committee - The Dark Knight
Flag Watching from the Shadows
Thanks Meter: 11,221

14,647 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mircury

Until we see big OEM's other than samsung using exynos, developer support will be more focused on snapdragon because they are widely used in other phones. There will likely be many top tier android devices from multiple OEM's using the Snapdragon 805 SOC. Samsung is still the only OEM of any size buying the exynos SOC.

My bet is firmly in the snapdragon side for the Note 4. This iteration will prove no different from the last generation and the generation before it. Exynos developer support has been poor at best. There were even a couple of posts where developer device maintainers have stopped developing for it in protest. AOSP for the Exynos note 3 was a slooooooow grind. CM and AOSP was available much much quicker for the snapdragon.

That is because Qualcomm has better documentation and Samsung refuses to provide the needed resources for developers. So it will moat likely be the Qualcomm gets the most which will still be limited as most developers are staying away from Samsung all together
5th September 2014, 09:24 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 112

689 posts
Andrilux is buying Note 4 with the Exynos inside.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lodix For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread