SM-N915W8 Canadian NOTE EDGE

Search This thread

gundal

Aug 10, 2010
VancouverIsland
wait.. seriously you guys all screwed your devices?

i haven't read this thread since.. I am still running the original rogers rom.. all i did was root and flash twrp..

i have backups of this state.. do you guys needs this?? i can do that tonight.. sorry I didn't see this earlier, I misunderstood that you all shared in the same conclusion I made.. this ROGERS rom is actually full of bugs, force closes, dropped text messages, etc etc etc..

but yea, I backed up before flashing, and everything else failed to boot, even swapping our kernel back in

so do you guys just need a dump of bootloader and system partitions?

gundal

Aug 10, 2010
VancouverIsland
hey guys sorry it took so long here is the original nandroid I took of boot/system/modem
taken with twrp

https://mega.co.nz/#!ylsXnLTb!vUxBtrJ2PHwY5HQa7v_Ad5uPcPpNeBhHJ08zBp8SAc4

you guys know how to make them show up in twrp?
put them in a folder under
sdcard/TWRP/Backups/your device s/n <-- easiest way to find this is just take another backup and then put it in the same folder
then restore and should get you back running

not sure why you didnt take a backup before flashing a rom :s but im sure you learned your lesson now again sorry it took me so long to upload this

btw the zip password is Rogers CSC code,

Reactions: Aktheprodigy

gdman84

Apr 12, 2015
Just to let everyone know I got hyperdrive to boot using the kernel posted here. The only big problem is there is no mobile service it doesn't seem to recognize the sim

gdman84

Apr 12, 2015
I tried to check the apn but discovered that when I flashed the kernel it deleted my baseband. I tried just flashing the modem in twrp but that didn't work. Sucks because everything else works great.

I tried to check the apn but discovered that when I flashed the kernel it deleted my baseband. I tried just flashing the modem in twrp but that didn't work. Sucks because everything else works great.

Look in tho these sites, as per the Tech Specs, the N915T and N915F are identical to our N915W8. Both stock version are available at Sammobile (915f and 915t )

http://www.mobosdata.com/samsung-galaxy-note-edge-sm-n915f
http://www.mobosdata.com/samsung-galaxy-note-edge-sm-n915t

http://www.mobosdata.com/samsung-galaxy-note-edge-sm-n915w8

JF-GINO

Apr 30, 2011
Toronto

Hmm,. That weird - I dont think its the kernel.. I have flashed this kernel a few times on stock without any problems with my Modem.
I suspect that it might be the CSC file inside Hyperdrive rom because I flashed Hyperdrive before and next to an unstable OS, I also had Baseband problems..
In any case, something network related in the rom is doing it, not the kernel.. If someone can figure this out, then we can repackage this rom with the kernel and newtork fix and we will have a Hyperdrive version for our phone... The Author of that rom might know how to do it. Great news is this can be the first step in using any t-moble rom/kernel with our w8 Canadian model.

CHE1

Apr 29, 2014
Hamilton
Hmm,. That weird - I dont think its the kernel.. I have flashed this kernel a few times on stock without any problems with my Modem.
I suspect that it might be the CSC file inside Hyperdrive rom because I flashed Hyperdrive before and next to an unstable OS, I also had Baseband problems..
In any case, something network related in the rom is doing it, not the kernel.. If someone can figure this out, then we can repackage this rom with the kernel and newtork fix and we will have a Hyperdrive version for our phone... The Author of that rom might know how to do it. Great news is this can be the first step in using any t-moble rom/kernel with our w8 Canadian model.

I contacted the hyperdrive creator on the t-mobile note edge thread, this is what he wrote back referring to the t-mobile hyperdrive rom: "I think you should be able to flash it on the canadian model, you just will need the stock kernel for the Canadian variant"

JF-GINO

Apr 30, 2011
Toronto
I contacted the hyperdrive creator on the t-mobile note edge thread, this is what he wrote back referring to the t-mobile hyperdrive rom: "I think you should be able to flash it on the canadian model, you just will need the stock kernel for the Canadian variant"

I think maybe the issue might be that the Rom versions are different and the modem might need to correspond to the version build of the rom.. Then again I could be completely wrong, but it's the only reason for the baseband problems.. Still think that the modded t-mobile kernel should work as I've been using it for a while.

CHE1

Apr 29, 2014
Hamilton
I think maybe the issue might be that the Rom versions are different and the modem might need to correspond to the version build of the rom.. Then again I could be completely wrong, but it's the only reason for the baseband problems.. Still think that the modded t-mobile kernel should work as I've been using it for a while.

T-mobile rooms are mostly compatible with wind mobile phones because they basically work in the same bands, the SM-N915W8 is not compatible with wind, that gives me the idea about the incompatibility issue.

JF-GINO

Apr 30, 2011
Toronto

Check to see if you still have an IMEI Number on your phone under about device in settings...
If you dont,. then your ESF Partition got wiped by the kernel and you might be right... I will backup mine and reflash this kernel and see if that is really what is going on.
If so, .then all you need to do is restore only your ESF partition from TWRP and you should have signal and sim back.

W3BSurfer

Mar 8, 2011
T.DoT
Also purchased the Bell Note Edge and using it under Telus. I recently have been experiencing dropped calls, no service and data signal hangs. It seems to be happening quite frequently. I haven't flashed any rom xcept that its rooted and twrp recovery. I bought a new microsim card also. Anyone else having this issue?

I have no issues with my wifi connection other than the network signal constant dropping/no service.

Baseband version: N915W8VLU1AOA7

JF-GINO

Apr 30, 2011
Toronto

Confirmed - kernel is killing baseband.....

Try flashing this kernel:

Kernel Download link: For SELinux=Permissve option only
http://www.4shared.com/archive/oH5fE...issivetar.html

Let me know if this fixes your network problem..
It fixed mine! you should be good to go.

CHE1

Apr 29, 2014
Hamilton

JF-GINO

Apr 30, 2011
Toronto
The link is not working, this is what i get when I click on it.
The file link that you requested is not valid.
Just to let everyone know I got hyperdrive to boot using the kernel posted here. The only big problem is there is no mobile service it doesn't seem to recognize the sim
Working link:
http://www.4shared.com/archive/oH5fE053ba/llfk_permissivetar.html

Also remember, this is mscion's work and his Low Lying Fruit Kernel.. Please dont forget to thank him for his hard work here in his original thread :
http://xdaforums.com/note-edge/general/kernel-allows-selinuxpermissive-n915t-t3017469

Last edited:
Reactions: CHE1

CHE1

Apr 29, 2014
Hamilton

CHE1

Apr 29, 2014
Hamilton

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-13-23-55-55.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-13-23-55-55.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 199

mscion

Jul 26, 2011
North Potomac
It does not work, I flashed the kernel twice, so we are at the same spot who knows till when.

Sorry you folks are having such problems. Normally, I would not expect this kernel to work on other variants but since @JF-GINO had some success, I was wondering if you properly installed the kernel. You might check Kernel version in Settings > About device. It should say mscion@ubuntu. Anyways, to properly install you have to use Odin. I use version 3.07. Just pop it in PDA and press start. Hope that helps!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey just got my edge today, looks like there is very little going on as it was just released a few days ago despite it being out in the states for quite some time, the only difference I believe is the LTE in the Canadian version.

Anyways, coming from the note 2, 3 and 4 and the trtlecan version always being close to the trtletmo I decided to risk it and flash the tmo cf auto root and recovery despite there being no stock firmware laying around on sammmobile the others..

annnd I'm happy to report that I now have a TWRP recovery, rooted, SM-N915W8.

go ahead and follow the very detail steps in this post http://xdaforums.com/note-edge/general/easy-steps-stock-odin-n915tuvu1anjl-sm-t2943993

MAKE SURE TO READ THE PART ABOUT IT FAILING (to flash cwm) AND THAT BEING OK being flashing TWRP

and then the BRIGHTNESS SETTINGS inside recovery which will look like you have sleep lock if you don't fix them before letting the screen timeout

and have all 4 files on hand before you start!
    I don't mind taking the risk...just wanna be sure

I believe that was an oxymoron
    Stock SM-N915W8 Recovery

here you go guys this is the stock recovery from my SM-N915W8 from Rogers:) just use odin and load it under AP i hope this can help
    Hey guys check out river rom by Evren35. I managed to install it on my Canadian note edge. Try it and say thanks to the dev....

Do you have any issues with signal? For example making calls and receiving calls. That's one of the main reasons I haven't tried flashing any roms yet. The difference in modem and csc sometimes throws off the signal (based on previous experience with the note 3)