Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,622 Members 44,702 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Shield Tablet Open Source Factory Preinstalled

Tip us?

Keithn
Old
(Last edited by Keithn; 9th August 2014 at 07:14 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94
Default Shield Tablet Open Source Factory Preinstalled

This is compiled from Nvidia's source using instructions found on this page Link

You need to have an unlocked bootloader and adb/fastboot.

Be aware this does not include any of nvidia's apps or google's frameworks/play store and is just plain android with no extras. (If someone can pull from their /system it may be helpful). I will try to add more later, but this should at least get any bricked tablets going until nvidia released a factory image.

______________Downloads___________________________ ______________________

Preinstalled

OTA0

_______________Directions_________________________ __________________________

Run flash.bat while unlocked/ screen on(if your computer hasn't been approved for adb yet), or while in bootloader.
Or flash each file in fastboot, instructions are in the nvidia link if you need more.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Keithn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Gytole
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithn View Post
This is compiled from Nvidia's source using instructions found on this page Link

You need to have an unlocked bootloader and adb/fastboot.

Be aware this does not include any of nvidia's apps or google's frameworks/play store and is just plain android with no extras. (If someone can pull from their /system it may be helpful). I will try to add more later, but this should at least get any bricked tablets going until nvidia released a factory image.

______________Downloads___________________________ ______________________

Preinstalled

OTA0

_______________Directions_________________________ __________________________

Run flash.bat while unlocked/ screen on(if your computer hasn't been approved for adb yet), or while in bootloader.
Or flash each file in fastboot, instructions are in the nvidia link if you need more.
Fixed my problem with WIFI not turning on at all, but is there an easy way for me to install gapps? Playing the waiting game for the factory img sucks....but Without even the playstore this tablets a lemon! hahaha any help would be awesome

Keithn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gytole View Post
Fixed my problem with WIFI not turning on at all, but is there an easy way for me to install gapps? Playing the waiting game for the factory img sucks....but Without even the playstore this tablets a lemon! hahaha any help would be awesome
You'll have to root and push a gapps package into your root directory. We don't have a recovery unfortunately.

Gytole
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Default precisely...

yeah I normally just slap it in the sd card then boot into twrp and flash away but it's kinda hard at the moment. and even stock recovery is upside down and wont get past the android icon no matter the button combo. lol im SOL.
Pretty sure I received a Lemon Tablet though out of the box. Wifi Was really choppy, but then I factory reset it and wifi was just completely gone. but this reenabled the wifi...thank god. but no playstore/google account is a huge bummer! lmao
I appreciate the fast response though man! I'm not stupid with android, but dummy stock makes me scratch my head. I can throw adb commands all day but I just cant push install them for some reason...maybe im just rtarded

Keithn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94
I had some issues just pushing too, try using these commands.

Code:
adb root
adb remount

(from inside the extracted gapps folder) 
adb push system /system

Gytole
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Default WORKED!

Thanks man! Went perfectly smooth! I forogot about pushing the full folder like that. Havent had to do it inna while but yeah man it went smooth as day! Thanks! now to just wait for the factory img...lol
BTW do you know what I have to rename the tablet under about device to make it look as the shield tablet to the playstore? I was using grid when the wifi crapped but I cant use grid as it says my device isnt supported.

Keithn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94
Quote:
Thanks man! Went perfectly smooth! I forogot about pushing the full folder like that. Havent had to do it inna while but yeah man it went smooth as day! Thanks! now to just wait for the factory img...lol
BTW do you know what I have to rename the tablet under about device to make it look as the shield tablet to the playstore? I was using grid when the wifi crapped but I cant use grid as it says my device isnt supported.
I'm not sure exactly what it needs to be changed to, if someone could get a dump of the stock rom it would help. I tried to see if someone could get me a dump, but I've had no luck yet.

Gytole
Old
Thanks Meter 22
I hear yuh. Yeah I'm no help onna dump at the moment. If somebody could post even a screen shot of their about tablet I can rename the stuff directly. I use ROM Toolbox Pro and use the build prop editor. You just rename the builds to the stock nvidia one and you should be golden as the play store reads it as stock nvidia android...I think...I had to do it with the kindle fire back in the day to make it look like a Nexus 7.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-08-09-20-51-23.png
Views:	73
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	2891092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-08-09-20-55-00.png
Views:	71
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	2891093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-08-09-20-56-11.png
Views:	69
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	2891095  

Keithn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 94
Quote:
I hear yuh. Yeah I'm no help onna dump at the moment. If somebody could post even a screen shot of their about tablet I can rename the stuff directly. I use ROM Toolbox Pro and use the build prop editor. You just rename the builds to the stock nvidia one and you should be golden as the play store reads it as stock nvidia android...I think...I had to do it with the kindle fire back in the day to make it look like a Nexus 7.
Yes, you should be able to change a few things to make it work. I think most of what you can se is cosmetic and you'll have to change the ro.build.fingerprint too if I'm not mistaken.

Gytole
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Wink shield tabletiers

Hopefully someone who is rooted/stock is willing to send us some screen shots. I actually kinda prefer this build over the stock nvidia one...its a lot faster. Theres absolutely no lag...granted I use sd maid/unlocker, fstrim, and nova. But so far this rom has been great. And you cant beat that barebone feel of android! Although the nvidia optimizer is there its unavailable through the settings menu. You can tell how stuff is like in there but hidden. Theres pros and cons to both. I just need to get the right build props to make the playstore see this as the shield tablet. Youve been a great help bub btw I appreciate it.
It just sucks that my first experience with the shield tablet was a bad install of android out of the box? Thats the first time ive ever had a software related wifi failure. The only other time was eith my droid 2 back in the day. LOL

Btw Other Shield Tablet owners, this is the screenshot I need from YOU so i know what to change my props too. Im using rom toolbox pro, but the lite version allows adjustments too. All I need is the screenshot! Much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-08-09-20-11-34.png
Views:	64
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	2891226  

Tags
shield tablet