Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,803,209 Members 43,983 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can anyone else block WiFi reception with their hands?

Tip us?

seattletruth
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Can anyone else block WiFi reception with their hands?

A lot of people have issues with the antenna on the Shield tablet. Some of us are able to block WiFi transmission or severely weaken it by putting our hand over the corner of a tablet (happens to me just by holding the tablet in portrait mode with the camera on the top).

I am a new member so can't link to the YouTube video I made demonstrating this phenomenon. I can't post a link because I'm a new user, but it's titled: Nvidia shield tablet bad WiFi design, don't buy a lemon.

Another YouTube posted a video a week ago showing the same effect. His video is called: Nvidia shield tablet, how to hold your tablet in your lap.

I'm on the 2.4ghz band in the video only a room away. Does it happen to you guys too? Do you have any other issues with the WiFi on this thing?

Thanks.

NZtechfreak
Old
Thanks Meter 931
WiFi reception isn't as strong as other devices I have in the home, and I can decrease the signal by holding the bottom right corner when held in portrait in particular, but I've not managed to choke the reception entirely or have it be a practical issue at all.
Twitter: @nztechfreak
Blogs: androidnz.net, blog.clove.co.uk
Facebook: http://goo.gl/baZHQ

kossiewossie
Old
Thanks Meter 21
I haven't notice any WiFi signal degrading when holding the tablet at all. but then again I have an AC87R router that outputs pretty crazy signal strength.

NZtechfreak
Old
Thanks Meter 931
My router is ASUS top of the line AC router from last year, probably helping me also.
Twitter: @nztechfreak
Blogs: androidnz.net, blog.clove.co.uk
Facebook: http://goo.gl/baZHQ

markymark567
Old
Thanks Meter 84
I'm on my second shield tablet and niether have had any WiFi issues. And I use a crappy centrylink router. Grid works perfect.

aznmode
Old
Thanks Meter 777
Mine has weak wifi and am going to get a replacement from amazon tomorrow. Hopefully it's just my unit. I may invest in a new AC router next.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Don't forget to give thanks if I've helped you in anyway...

perfectslim
Old
Thanks Meter 13
I think I have problems with Wi-Fi too. For example, playing Modern Combat 5, connection is lost many times...Maybe it's a Gameloft problem...

Sometimes I have issues with downloads on Google Play too....

I don't know if it's a problem or not...or if it's a hardware or software problem...