MultiROM Makes its Way Over to the HTC One (M8)

While browsing our forum, you will undoubtedly find more than a few enticing ROMs available … more

Welcome to the New XDA-Developers Portal!

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we opened up the XDA-2015 forum themesto intrepid users … more

An Android Enthusiast’s Apple iPhone 6 Challenge

The media has gone batty again over Apple “revolutionizing” smartphones. … more

Sony to Extend its AOSP Program to Other Devices

Sony will be offering its users the possibility to use AOSP ROMs as an alternative to the … more

[Q] Can anyone else block WiFi reception with their hands?

19th August 2014, 07:23 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
A lot of people have issues with the antenna on the Shield tablet. Some of us are able to block WiFi transmission or severely weaken it by putting our hand over the corner of a tablet (happens to me just by holding the tablet in portrait mode with the camera on the top).

I am a new member so can't link to the YouTube video I made demonstrating this phenomenon. I can't post a link because I'm a new user, but it's titled: Nvidia shield tablet bad WiFi design, don't buy a lemon.

Another YouTube posted a video a week ago showing the same effect. His video is called: Nvidia shield tablet, how to hold your tablet in your lap.

I'm on the 2.4ghz band in the video only a room away. Does it happen to you guys too? Do you have any other issues with the WiFi on this thing?

Thanks.
19th August 2014, 07:40 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 933

2,403 posts
WiFi reception isn't as strong as other devices I have in the home, and I can decrease the signal by holding the bottom right corner when held in portrait in particular, but I've not managed to choke the reception entirely or have it be a practical issue at all.
19th August 2014, 12:36 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 21

85 posts
I haven't notice any WiFi signal degrading when holding the tablet at all. but then again I have an AC87R router that outputs pretty crazy signal strength.
19th August 2014, 01:26 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 933

2,403 posts
My router is ASUS top of the line AC router from last year, probably helping me also.
19th August 2014, 03:08 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 87

322 posts
I'm on my second shield tablet and niether have had any WiFi issues. And I use a crappy centrylink router. Grid works perfect.
20th August 2014, 10:15 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 780

4,122 posts
Mine has weak wifi and am going to get a replacement from amazon tomorrow. Hopefully it's just my unit. I may invest in a new AC router next.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
21st August 2014, 03:10 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 14

102 posts
I think I have problems with Wi-Fi too. For example, playing Modern Combat 5, connection is lost many times...Maybe it's a Gameloft problem...

Sometimes I have issues with downloads on Google Play too....

I don't know if it's a problem or not...or if it's a hardware or software problem...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread

Top Threads in Shield Q&A by ThreadRank