Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,682 Members 42,568 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Has there been any ouya vs sheild talk?

Tip us?

@rbiter
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 957
Default Has there been any ouya vs sheild talk?

I think the hard part is getting non PC people to have a PC, with a 650 or better nvidia GPU. And then you have PC people that just need an upgraded GPU. And is nvidia gonna do first party break the ice with a bunch of mini game or small and quick MMO or plan on setting up a special something for shield owners? And then you have people who don't really want the portability all that much and will likely buy the poor man's gaming console, the ouya, which should refressh it's hardware every year or two. And isn't nvudia inside the ouya to start off with? Nvidia could get something jumpstarted where the ouya would work in this equation somehow or be a host server for man, or all out line if the right components are there and up to the task.

my gnote2 is bigger than your puny iPhone.

stanglifemike
Old
Thanks Meter 422
I'm still not too sure about either, to be honest. My Asus Infinity with a Tegra 3, and a PS3 controller with the Sixaxis app, currently handles all of my Android gaming. The Tegra 4 will be in Android tablets soon, though I think the first tablet getting the Tegra 4 will be running Windows 8. I'm just not too sure, YET, if Project Glass will be worth the extra money...

Sent from my White Evo LTE running MeanBean, using XDA Premium
Main Phone: White Samsung Note 3 + 64GB card
Other Phone: White HTC Evo 4G LTE
Main Tablet: Asus Infinity 32GB Internal + 64GB card
Main Tablet: 2013 Nexus 7 32GB

98 GT: Lots of bolt-ons, suspension, exhaust.
06 GT: Vortech supercharger 10 lbs boost, full suspension, exhaust, too much to list here
Both purchased new and all mods done by me

SixSixSevenSeven
Old
Thanks Meter 323
The ouya has a tegra 3 at 1.3ghz. The Shield has a 1.9ghz tegra 4. Significantly more power.
The shield running stock android means it doesnt need to stream from a desktop PC. With the OUYA also being android based I reckon it would be a fairly easy port to get an OUYA game running on the shield, either with a port of the game code to the shield or possibly a modded OUYA SDK. Dependant on how much source code is available for the Shield roms and OUYA roms it might be possible to run an ouya rom on the shield.

Windows 8 wont run on a tegra 4. Namely because windows 8 is x86 only and tegra 4 is ARM.

Windows RT might but there have been no new windows RT devices announced so none with a tegra 4.

Only tegra 4 devices I know of right now are the shield, the HP splitbook x2 and the NVidia demo phone and demo tablets sold to manufacturers to sample what the tegra 4 and 4i can do.

Jsusgarcia179
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSixSevenSeven View Post
The ouya has a tegra 3 at 1.3ghz. The Shield has a 1.9ghz tegra 4. Significantly more power.
The shield running stock android means it doesnt need to stream from a desktop PC. With the OUYA also being android based I reckon it would be a fairly easy port to get an OUYA game running on the shield, either with a port of the game code to the shield or possibly a modded OUYA SDK. Dependant on how much source code is available for the Shield roms and OUYA roms it might be possible to run an ouya rom on the shield.

Windows 8 wont run on a tegra 4. Namely because windows 8 is x86 only and tegra 4 is ARM.

Windows RT might but there have been no new windows RT devices announced so none with a tegra 4.

Only tegra 4 devices I know of right now are the shield, the HP splitbook x2 and the NVidia demo phone and demo tablets sold to manufacturers to sample what the tegra 4 and 4i can do.
The OUYA actually has a 1.9GHZ tegra 3 T33 processor (supposedly better than the T30L which is what youll find in devices like the Nexus 7, HTC one and Asus pads) The OUYA development tool (referred to by the developers as the ODK) is easily obtainable from their website. When you download it and install it (it's an apk) it boots you into the OUYA interface, acting like a launcher controlling it with my nexus 7's touch screen was clumsy and un productive and I didnt have access to the app store but I believe it would be quite easy to gain access. I also installed the play station mobile app on my nexus 7 but since it is not an officially licenced device with access to it it locked me out. This was fixed by flashing a package from custom recovery. No doubt the same applies to the ouya market.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

SixSixSevenSeven
Old
Thanks Meter 323
Tetra 3 uses a cortex A9. Tetra 4 uses A15 which is about 50% faster at the same clock speed. So even with the ouya being 1.9ghz it still has less CPU power than the shield. Has a weaker GPU too.

Only points the ouya wins on are cost and dedicated developer support. There are probably more people hoping to make ouya specific apps than there are shield specific apps, a relatively minor point seeming as those apps should play nicely on either device anyway.

Ultimately you could still hook a shield up to a tv and pair a Bluetooth gamepad with it (maybe even an ouya one when they get around to selling them on their own) if you want a living room console, then unplug cable and go if you need a portable device. It just comes at a cost.

Jsusgarcia179
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Wasn't contradicting your statement was merely correcting some misleading information.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

agrabren
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 9607

DONATE TO ME
There is a lot of hope from both camps (Ouya and NVIDIA) that these "controller-based" products will really push for developers to support landscape-only devices and dedicated controller support. While Shield has the advantage of a touch screen available, both devices are really driving toward controller-only development.

@rbiter
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 957
I could see myself getting one of these. Not at launch but after a couple critical mass games and the one that gets more quality support for console like gaming. The ouya is potentially a GameCube successor and the shield has a lot of potential but are people really going to put their smart phones and tablets down for a dedicated but still portable console.

Sent from my GT-N7100

Jsusgarcia179
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by @rbiter View Post
I could see myself getting one of these. Not at launch but after a couple critical mass games and the one that gets more quality support for console like gaming. The ouya is potentially a GameCube successor and the shield has a lot of potential but are people really going to put their smart phones and tablets down for a dedicated but still portable console.

Sent from my GT-N7100
While I was previously interested in the OUYA for some hard core android gaming on a tv, I've kind of lost interest due to the fact that its model was meant to attract developers looking to make a name for themselves meaning small scale AA games. While there's nothing wrong with producing opportunity for new developers, it does mean that a good portion of the content will not be worth your time atleast in its early stages. The Nvidia Shield not only has the power to handle anythjng the market can pushout for atleast the next two years, the OUYA is packing hardware which is already outdated.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

@rbiter
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsusgarcia179 View Post
While I was previously interested in the OUYA for some hard core android gaming on a tv, I've kind of lost interest due to the fact that its model was meant to attract developers looking to make a name for themselves meaning small scale AA games. While there's nothing wrong with producing opportunity for new developers, it does mean that a good portion of the content will not be worth your time atleast in its early stages. The Nvidia Shield not only has the power to handle anythjng the market can pushout for atleast the next two years, the OUYA is packing hardware which is already outdated.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
The ouya is supposedly getting new hardware every year. How they plan on doing that I don't know. It would be very nerdy and cool to unplug and drop a new SOC instead of buying the while console each time. And ouya seems to be off to a shaky start already with the controller and lag issues.

Sent from my GT-N7100