Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,427 Members 42,021 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] 4.3 or 4.4.2?

Tip us?

Jupiter683
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question [Q] 4.3 or 4.4.2?

Greetings PROGRAMs! No one really gave me an answer in the general android section, so I'll post it here. I'm at a bit of a conundrum.

I have an HP Slate 7 extreme Nvidia tegra tablet currently running Android 4.3. I just got the update notification a couple of days ago and I would like to know if it's safe to update to 4.4.2. I've read the horror stories about 4.4.2's horrible battery drain problem and the disabling of external storage i.e: micro SD Cards. And I just got a 32gb micro SD just for this tablet.

So, should I update? Any help is always appreciated. Thanks!

Jupiter683
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Bump

Jupiter683
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Bump

nielo360
Old
Thanks Meter 23
There is a delight drain in battery I think, but not too noticeable, the rest of the sad card issues can be easily fixed via rooting and using the tool in the forums here
The Following User Says Thank You to nielo360 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rchrdcrg
Old
Thanks Meter 24
First, though I don't know if it's an actual rule here, I've been on XDA for like 4 years now and never seen anyone "bump" their posts... bumping your own post seems kinda faux pas around here, and especially in this device's forum, there aren't enough posts happening for something to disappear after a day or two. Please be patient.

Second, the SD card is not disabled, but Android 4.4 won't allow you to change its contents, so you can use files on it just fine, but you can't copy anything to it or delete anything from it. As Nielo360 mentioned, there is a fix for rooted users.

Third, I was having battery issues as well, but I did a full factory reset and it literally fixed everything. I just made a post regarding this over on EVGA's forums... maybe I'll cut-and-paste it into a post over here as well. Just be sure to back up anything on the internal storage if you try this as it'll wipe everything, even photos/files/etc. With the tablet sitting there asleep, it can literally go over a week without needing a charge, and even in use it seems to be much better than before.
The Following User Says Thank You to rchrdcrg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Andrew_j
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Me personally I regret upgrading to 4.4. Maybe its silly but I do not want to root my device (security, guarantee issues) just to get my SD card working again. There are not that many improvements in KitKat to root device for them just to fix what has been broken.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew_j For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jupiter683
Old
(Last edited by Jupiter683; 9th July 2014 at 07:33 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Ah, I see. Sorry about the bumps. It's been a rule of thumb for me that if no one replies to a post within a week or so, it's been forgotten or ignored. Didn't mean to violate any regulations. I did notice that since I uodated to 4.3, battery life has diminished by a considerable margin. It barely lasts a day. Any idea how to fix that?

Also my exchange email doesn't work anymore on 4.3

Tags
hp slate 7 extreme