Will 4.4.4 adapt to Android L or require new install?

24th August 2014, 12:20 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

16 posts
Having just installed omnirom with it having the ota updates, once android L is officially released, will all nightlies adapt to it on current installs? Or will that be a whole new install? Just curious. Thanks
24th August 2014, 02:02 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 2,070

3,974 posts
Donate to Me
More
Without the code handy, it'll be hard to say for sure. I'd hazard a guess and say new Android base, new nightly branch. But that's just a guess.
24th August 2014, 02:04 AM   |  #3  
Flag Rijeka
Thanks Meter: 2

35 posts
More
I agree with you. Because it's a new code, I also think that you'll need the whole new installation after all..

Sent from my Xperia S using XDA Free mobile app
25th August 2014, 04:10 PM   |  #4  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 24,415

13,305 posts
Donate to Me
More
There's a good chance from a developer standpoint it'll require major rework/rebasing.

From a user standpoint, it SHOULD be feasible to do a straight upgrade without wiping. (Although in the case of features that aren't re-implemented yet when L nightlies start, they'll reset to their defaults when they make it back in.) You will NOT be able to downgrade without wiping or restoring a backup though.

As a historical reference - many of my devices that were running 4.3 Omni were upgraded straight to 4.4, even though we started from scratch with 4.4
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread