Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,938 Members 49,021 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Rhino Shield Owners

Tip us?

jetstream131
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default Rhino Shield Owners

Has anyone been able to put their Rhino Shields to the test? Any near-death OnePlus One experiences where the Rhino Shield has saved you? Drops? Throws? Scratches? Etc..?
OnePlus One 64GB[]
Xperia Tablet Z [SGP312]

d4fseeker
Old
Thanks Meter 434
More or less the only impact where the Rhino shield will protect your device is if
a) your phone falls flat onto a piece/rock on the floor
b) you hip-bump your pocket+phone into the table

Most impacts will be sideways and the Rhino will not be able to rescue your phone. Only a good case might.
I do have a Rhino but rather sceptical about it's real-world benefits in most cases.
Samsung S1Samsung S3Oneplus One

Kyle C
Old
Thanks Meter 56

DONATE TO ME
I realize this doesn't answer you question, however, I had one on my OnePlus One and it severely hindered touch screen responsiveness. Peeled it off after a week because I couldn't stand having to touch the screen multiple times for it to notice a touch... Scrolling through pages was even worse. Won't ever buy another Rhino Shield.
Current:
OnePlus One

Old:
Nexus 5
Nexus 7 2013
iPhone 5
Moto X
Nexus 4
Nexus 7 2012
Galaxy Nexus LTE
iPhone 4
Motorola XOOM
HTC Droid Incredible
Motorola Droid

mikelebz
Old
Thanks Meter 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle C View Post
I realize this doesn't answer you question, however, I had one on my OnePlus One and it severely hindered touch screen responsiveness. Peeled it off after a week because I couldn't stand having to touch the screen multiple times for it to notice a touch... Scrolling through pages was even worse. Won't ever buy another Rhino Shield.
I agree. Expensive and won't buy again, but since I have it on I am leaving it because I want a screen protector. Are the other tempered glass ones any better/do they actually protect? (I am skeptical of rhino's claims, but it's better than nothing or an unknown)

Kawaisa
Old
Thanks Meter 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelebz View Post
I agree. Expensive and won't buy again, but since I have it on I am leaving it because I want a screen protector. Are the other tempered glass ones any better/do they actually protect? (I am skeptical of rhino's claims, but it's better than nothing or an unknown)
Rhino Shield is better from direct impact. You could literally hit it with a hammer and I'm sure it wouldn't crack. But for side impacts or anything less severe, a tempered glass protector will be just as good. Plus you won't lose that glass feel.
Motorola V300 - Sony Ericsson K700i - Panasonic VS3 - Sony Ericsson W850i - HTC G1 - iPhone 2G - Samsung Vibrant - Samsung Galaxy S2 - HTC One S - Samsung Galaxy Note II - LG Nexus 4 - Samsung Galaxy S3 - Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Sony Xperia Z Ultra GPe - OnePlus One

jetstream131
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle C View Post
Really? That's extremely weird. I had one on my iPhone and I currently have on my OnePlus One and I have absolutely zero touch issues. The reason I made this post was just to see if anyone has tested the actual durability of the protector.
OnePlus One 64GB[]
Xperia Tablet Z [SGP312]

Kyle C
Old
Thanks Meter 56

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelebz View Post
I can't comment on how well they protect compared to any other screen protector. I always buy screen protectors for scratch protection and nothing else.
My buddy has a tempered glass protector, brand unknown to me, on his G3 and its awesome. Perfectly clear, does not interfere with sensitivity at all, and the best part, IMO, it doesn't feel like theres anything there being that it's glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetstream131 View Post
Really? That's extremely weird. I had one on my iPhone and I currently have on my OnePlus One and I have absolutely zero touch issues. The reason I made this post was just to see if anyone has tested the actual durability of the protector.
I'd like to think I had one from a bad batch or something. Ill leave it at that. If I were to guess, I wouldn't expect it to save the screen from a common drop. They appear to be more designed to withstand a direct impact from something above. Like if you were drop something on top of it. I doubt it would save a screen if it landed on its corner.
Current:
OnePlus One

Old:
Nexus 5
Nexus 7 2013
iPhone 5
Moto X
Nexus 4
Nexus 7 2012
Galaxy Nexus LTE
iPhone 4
Motorola XOOM
HTC Droid Incredible
Motorola Droid

Severose
Old
Thanks Meter 3
If you're in the market for a tempered glass screen protector for the One, look into Orzly. I have one and have had no touch screen sensitivity issues whatsoever. The glass is crystal clear, and is oleophobic so it will do its best to resist oils and water that you may get on it, and anything that you do get on it along the lines of oil, etc. can be easily wiped off with a rag, shirt, etc.

This is my first tempered glass screen protector, and having used it for about 3 weeks now I can safely say that I'll never go back to anything else.