5,815,133 Members 39,080 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE][PSA] Google Play Services battery drain fix

Tip us?

timmaaa
Old
(Last edited by timmaaa; 30th August 2014 at 12:35 AM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 6,323

DONATE TO ME
Default [GUIDE][PSA] Google Play Services battery drain fix

If you're running a recent CM based ROM you've most likely encountered some pretty severe battery drain from Google Play Services (or Android OS as it sometimes shows up as). Below is a series of procedures that will halt the battery drain, but will not affect the running of your device.

The first thing you need to do is to enter Privacy Guard through Settings/Security or Settings/Privacy, then click Advanced or Show Built-In Apps (depending on which ROM you're running). From here you can select Google Play Services and turn off everything except for location. This may or may not be enough, if you still suffer battery drain please move on to the next step.

Please note: everything below this point requires root!

Next you need to download Android Tuner. Open it and pull out the side menu, scroll down to the Apps Manager section and select Application Startups. Open the box at the top and change it to All, click the button in the bottom-right until it says System, scroll to Google Play Services and select it, a huge list will open, scroll to very near the bottom and find the Wakeup option, uncheck the box.

Go back to the main menu of Android Tuner and pull out the side menu on the left, scroll down to the Apps Manager section and select Application Manager. Click the right box at the bottom until it says System, scroll to find Google Play Services and long press it, a menu will pop up, select Permissions. This should bring you to the Perms tab, swipe across to the Services tab. In this list you want to uncheck anything that starts with Ads or Analytics, you also want to uncheck anything that starts with com.Google.android.location.reporting as well.

Donate To Me

Transmitted via Bacon
OnePlus One | crDroid/AK | TWRP 2.7.1.1

Do not PM me asking for assistance, that's what my Q&A thread is for!
The Following 61 Users Say Thank You to timmaaa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Lennydk87
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I can vote for this, I did have massive battery drain from google services, but now, none.

timmaaa
Old
Thanks Meter 6,323

DONATE TO ME
Glad to help.

Sent via Bacon

EddyOS
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,051
Do you need root access for this?
OnePlus One A0001 (Sandstone Grey) 64GB
ROM: CyanogenMod 11S (XNPH33R) | Bootloader: Stock | Recovery: TWRP 2.8.0.1 | Radio: Stock | Kernel: Franco Kernel r20

Google Nexus 5 D821 (Black) 32GB
ROM: Android 4.4.4 (KTU84P) | Bootloader: HHZ11K | Recovery: Stock | Radio: 2.0.50.1.16 | Kernel: Stock

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!! | [GUIDE] Return your EU M8 to 100% Stock (S-OFF Required) | [GUIDE] Return your OPO to 100% Stock

timmaaa
Old
Thanks Meter 6,323

DONATE TO ME
Yes. I'll add that information to the OP.

Sent via Bacon

The Following User Says Thank You to timmaaa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Calkulin
Old
(Last edited by Calkulin; 30th July 2014 at 06:30 PM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6,791

DONATE TO ME
This guide is a little excessive, the biggest battery killer for that app, especially if you use Google Now, is the wake ups permission, so denying just that will fix most of the battery drain. If you want to go the extra mile, denying the keep awake permission also which fix the other minor part and none of these fixes require root

EDIT: Just noticed you said AOSP, which doesn't have the wake up or keep awake permissions to deny IIRC, so what I said only applies to the CM ROMs
If you like my work, donate to buy me a beer or 2

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calkulin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

timmaaa
Old
Thanks Meter 6,323

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calkulin View Post
This guide is a little excessive, the biggest battery killer for that app, especially if you use Google Now, is the wake ups permission, so denying just that will fix most of the battery drain. If you want to go the extra mile, denying the keep awake permission also which fix the other minor part and none of these fixes require root

EDIT: Just noticed you said AOSP, which doesn't have the wake up or keep awake permissions to deny IIRC, so what I said only applies to the CM ROMs
While this may seem excessive, the fact is it works. My personal experience was that after changing the things mentioned that don't require root I still had Google Play Services draining my battery. As with anything though, mileage may vary. I'll add a note that the root section may or may not be required.

Forgive me for using a term (AOSP) that most XDA users associate with anything that's CM based. While it may not technically be 100% correct, it seemed to be in keeping with the vernacular used by your average XDA member.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Sent via Bacon

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timmaaa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CafeKampuchia
Old
(Last edited by CafeKampuchia; 30th July 2014 at 08:31 PM.)
Thanks Meter 230
A much simple process (that doesn't require root) worked for me:

1. I used Privacy Guard to deny Google Services "Wake up," "Keep awake" and "Auto start."

2. Under Settings > Apps > Running I stopped all instances of Google Play services.

They still come back but aren't killing my battery with wakelocks. It seems to accord with what Calkulin said above.
The Following User Says Thank You to CafeKampuchia For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

savahu
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks a lot, I have done everything in the OP, will report back

timmaaa
Old
Thanks Meter 6,323

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeKampuchia View Post
A much simple process (that doesn't require root) worked for me:

1. I used Privacy Guard to deny Google Services "Wake up," "Keep awake" and "Auto start."

2. Under Settings > Apps > Running I stopped all instances of Google Play services.

They still come back but aren't killing my battery with wakelocks. It seems to accord with what Calkulin said above.
Like I said just above, mileage may vary. It's awesome if doing just that worked for you, but for others it isn't enough for some reason.

Sent via Bacon