Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,814 Members 51,258 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[INFO] CPU [MSM8974AC] Binning Concept, Overclocking, Undervolting

Tip us?
 
D4rkSoRRoW
Old
#31  
D4rkSoRRoW's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 111
Posts: 1,337
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. Gallen
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi08638 View Post
Undervolting doesn't affect battery life much, although it does reduce the heat output

sent from my amazingly awesome OnePlus One

don't forget to hit thanks!
And when the phone runs cooler, the battery runs cooler too, what means it lasts longer.. :P
HTC HD2 (T8585) | 16GB SDHC (class 4)
WinMo -> CleanEX UniQ 655 Series V. 4.30
-> NAND Android -> HyperDroid CM7 v5.9.0
- HTC One X. | Will it truly beat the legendary HD2?.. (Hint: It didn't.)
- Nexus 4 on Official AOKP.
-> OnePlus One
-> Nexus 5 on Cataclysm.
- Nexus7 3G (2012) on Official CM10.1 AOKP.
 
jgcaap
Old
#32  
jgcaap's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 667
Posts: 2,465
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Porto
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4rkSoRRoW View Post
And when the phone runs cooler, the battery runs cooler too, what means it lasts longer.. :P
guys i didnt understood this post very well. i have pvs7, how can i undervolt to become better ? it says to change the biding to higher, isnt it enought to change voltages?
Galaxy S2 - Jelly Bean Leak
Kernel: Samsung

 
abhi08638
Old
#33  
abhi08638's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 155
Posts: 311
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgcaap View Post
guys i didnt understood this post very well. i have pvs7, how can i undervolt to become better ? it says to change the biding to higher, isnt it enought to change voltages?
I think you mean binning, and you can't change that since it is your hardware.

Basically undervolting is the process of finding the lowest voltage your CPU can run at without compromising stability. The more you undervolt, the greater the chance of freezes/SOD/random reboots occurring.

Battery life: undervolting does not affect battery life much directly, however it does keep the CPU cooler for longer periods of time. When the CPU is cooler, the battery stays cooler as well. When the battery is cooler, it does not drain as fast because the chemical reactions in the battery do not happen as quickly thereby increasing the amount of time your phone can run.

Take this with a grain of salt as I have not checked my facts in a while.

sent from my amazingly awesome OnePlus One

don't forget to hit thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to abhi08638 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
timmaaa
Old
#34  
timmaaa's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,191
Posts: 13,084
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Melbourne

 
DONATE TO ME
Added to OnePlus One index thread:

[INDEX] OnePlus One Resources Compilation Roll-Up

Transmitted via Bacon
OnePlus One | crDroid/AK | TWRP 2.7.1.1

Do not PM me asking for assistance, that's what my Q&A thread is for!
 
jgcaap
Old
#35  
jgcaap's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 667
Posts: 2,465
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Porto
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi08638 View Post
I think you mean binning, and you can't change that since it is your hardware.

Basically undervolting is the process of finding the lowest voltage your CPU can run at without compromising stability. The more you undervolt, the greater the chance of freezes/SOD/random reboots occurring.

Battery life: undervolting does not affect battery life much directly, however it does keep the CPU cooler for longer periods of time. When the CPU is cooler, the battery stays cooler as well. When the battery is cooler, it does not drain as fast because the chemical reactions in the battery do not happen as quickly thereby increasing the amount of time your phone can run.

Take this with a grain of salt as I have not checked my facts in a while.

sent from my amazingly awesome OnePlus One

don't forget to hit thanks!
So why is there a post of trying the next pvc?

I undervolted 100... But I have to stress test. Let's see if it went Ok
Galaxy S2 - Jelly Bean Leak
Kernel: Samsung

 
abhi08638
Old
(Last edited by abhi08638; 6th September 2014 at 12:42 PM.)
#36  
abhi08638's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 155
Posts: 311
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgcaap View Post
So why is there a post of trying the next pvc?

I undervolted 100... But I have to stress test. Let's see if it went Ok
You're misunderstanding. They are trying the next PVS *values*. All PVSs come with different stock voltages, the higher your PVS, the lower the stock voltage. What they meant was they were trying the stock voltages of the PVS that is one higher than theirs.

sent from my amazingly awesome OnePlus One

don't forget to hit thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to abhi08638 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
jgcaap
Old
#37  
jgcaap's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 667
Posts: 2,465
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Porto
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi08638 View Post
You're misunderstanding. They are trying the next PVS *values*. All PVSs come with different stock voltages, the higher your PVS, the lower the stock voltage. What they meant was they were trying the stock voltages of the PVS that is one higher than theirs.

sent from my amazingly awesome OnePlus One

don't forget to hit thanks!
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh xD I understood now.
Galaxy S2 - Jelly Bean Leak
Kernel: Samsung

 
afiqq
Old
#38  
Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 43
Join Date: Sep 2011
just saw this thread. i have PVS 5 with speed bin 3. i keep getting random reboots and i think i know why now. undervolted all the way down to -50mV. now im trying -30mV with optimal max frequency stated (1574 MHz). hopefully no more reboots!
 
jgcaap
Old
#39  
jgcaap's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 667
Posts: 2,465
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Porto
for now just manage to undervolt stable the following:

268 Mhz - 635 mv -150mv
300 Mhz - 635 mv -150mv
400 Mhz - 635 mv -150mv
652 Mhz - 640 mv -145mv
729 Mhz - 660 mv -120mv
883 Mhz - 690 mv -115mv
960 Mhz - 720 mv -95mv
1036 Mhz - 740 mv -95 mv
1190 Mhz - 750 mv -95 mv
1267 Mhz - 770 mv -95 mv
Galaxy S2 - Jelly Bean Leak
Kernel: Samsung

 
GEZ96
Old
#40  
GEZ96's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 8
Join Date: Nov 2012
Hi,
I was seeking which revision i have. So I used CPU-Z app and I saw that my rev is r2p1 (Qualcomm msm8974PRO-AC). So, is this a new revision or is this the same of rev 0 or 1?

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes