My OnePlus One melted!!

Search This thread

hoopsbwc34

Jul 25, 2006
I just got a new OnePlus One over the holidays. I've noticed that periodically it was getting very hot when I was charging it, both when using a car and wall charger and multiple different cables. On Saturday night I left it on the charger overnight and in the morning the phone was melted around the charger cable! Check out the pics below.

Only thing worse is that OnePlus says that it's likely because I was using a 3rd party charging cable (from my Samsung Galaxy S3) so they won't provide a refund or replace it. But they will let me pay $350 for a new mother board. So I'm out $400 and a brand new phone.

Attachments

• IMG_0139.JPG
    IMG_0139.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 12,007
  • IMG_0136.JPG
    IMG_0136.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 11,959
Last edited:
Reactions: srsdani

geokilla

Jun 5, 2010
Toronto
Normally using a different cable and charger wouldn't have such an effect. I know many friends who use aftermarket cables and chargers built for different phones and their phones are fine so I take that cause with a grain of salt.

Having said that, did you do any modifications to the phone, whether it be software or hardware? When it was getting hot, did you do anything about it?

hoopsbwc34

Jul 25, 2006
Normally using a different cable and charger wouldn't have such an effect. I know many friends who use aftermarket cables and chargers built for different phones and their phones are fine so I take that cause with a grain of salt.

Having said that, did you do any modifications to the phone, whether it be software or hardware? When it was getting hot, did you do anything about it?

No, I just got it. Didn't root or anything. When it got hot I rebooted the phone .. what is strange is that it didn't seem to always overheat. But it happened more than once on different chargers and cables.

Mephisto Zap

Apr 5, 2013
I've been using a Samsung charger and cable that came from a galaxy s4 on so many different phones and nothing ever happened to them. Even have charged my one plus one with it. It was charging very slowly so I just used the one it came with and it charges at full speed.

Try talking with a different person and not mention using a different cable and charger. Its definitely not because of that. You deserve a new one.

Sent from my A0001

Last edited:

Quasar

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 3, 2013
Mumbai
It's really odd. The One itself uses a pretty powerful 2A charger :/

Sent from my A0001 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

sabrefresco

Jan 2, 2015
/etc/hosts
Probably due to using a cable that isn't rated to carry the current that the charger outputs and that the phone draws.

Transmitted via Bacon

Thing is if a charger comes rated at a high output amp, they usually ship an appropriate gauge cable for it. I'm pretty sure Samsung would've shipped a 28/24AWG Micro-USB cable with a 1/1.5/2A (maybe not 1A) charger to prevent the wire from melting out. My guess is OP probably mixed cables with chargers. It's common to have multiple Micro-USB to USB cables these days given most electronics support. Most of the time these cables are 28/28 gauge. I am guessing OP used a 28/28 with a high amp charger (although the standard S3 charger seems to be rated at 1A from my search results). Seems like OP used the OnePlus One charger rated at 2A with a cable which was probably rated for 0.7-1A (that seems to be the standard S3 charger's output).

Can we get more info on what charger and what gauge cable was used OP?

Last edited:

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
Thing is if a charger comes rated at a high output amp, they usually ship an appropriate gauge cable for it. I'm pretty sure Samsung would've shipped a 28/24AWG Micro-USB cable with a 1/1.5/2A (maybe not 1A) charger to prevent the wire from melting out. My guess is OP probably mixed cables with chargers. It's common to have multiple Micro-USB to USB cables these days given most electronics support. Most of the time these cables are 28/28 gauge. I am guessing OP used a 28/28 with a high amp charger (although the standard S3 charger seems to be rated at 1A from my search results).

Can we get more info on what charger and what gauge cable was used OP?
Yeah, that's exactly what I said.

Transmitted via Bacon

Red5

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 31, 2007
Everybody got a phone charger and cable with their phone right? Why would you use some other cable or charger then? Especially now that it seems that its possible to have your phone melt with using 3rd party equipment, why would you still not use the charger/cable that came with the phone? To me thats like buying a truck, putting different wheels on it and getting pissed when something happens.

sabrefresco

Jan 2, 2015
/etc/hosts
Everybody got a phone charger and cable with their phone right? Why would you use some other cable or charger then? Especially now that it seems that its possible to have your phone melt with using 3rd party equipment, why would you still not use the charger/cable that came with the phone? To me thats like buying a truck, putting different wheels on it and getting pissed when something happens.

Convenience of not carrying that same cable everywhere? OP seemed to be using chargers at home and in his car, so it's easier to have a cable for each of those chargers.

mariosraptor

Nov 21, 2006
Corfu
Maybe the phone is defective. I hate it when OEM'S being cheap.
C'mon One Plus. Don't be like the ****ty samsung. Make the difference

Reactions: eksasol

freeewilly

Feb 25, 2010
Hey, you can easily and realitively cheaply change the plastic back cover on the OPO. Just purchase an original back cover replacement from OPO. It comes in various colors and even in bamboo. If the metal plug is still ok and only the plastic melted, you should be ok and still have a 100% original phone.

giugiura

Jan 9, 2011
Hey, you can easily and realitively cheaply change the plastic back cover on the OPO. Just purchase an original back cover replacement from OPO. It comes in various colors and even in bamboo. If the metal plug is still ok and only the plastic melted, you should be ok and still have a 100% original phone.

He needs to change the fried motherboard

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
I was just trying to bring the odds of this happening to my phone closer to nil with a possible scenario so I could sleep better tonight after leaving it on charge :silly:
Leaving it on charge overnight isn't good for the battery anyway, the more time a lithium battery spends at peak voltage (4.2v) the faster it degrades.

Transmitted via Bacon

PoisonWolf

Feb 8, 2009
WHen you don't have the official charger/cable with you, I ALWAYS tell people to charge it via a computer USB port (0.5 A) instead to be on the safe side (with whatever cable you plan to use).

And never mix/match your USB cable/charger ports.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OnePlus responded:
    I am updating this thread with some details, as I know there is some concern in regards to this incident. Know that we took this case very, very seriously.

The bottom line is this: this sort of damage can only be caused by a faulty or improper charging brick/cable, and the user in question was not using a OnePlus charging brick or cable. And, since we didn’t make the charger that was being used and caused this damage, we unfortunately could have done nothing from our end to prevent this from happening, nor can we verify that the third party charger is functioning properly.

If you look at our warranty policy, you can see that damage caused by third party accessories is not covered. If you’d be so kind as to give me a few minutes of your time, I’ll tell you exactly why this is the case.

Here is a very basic explanation of how smartphone charging works:
    When the smartphone is initially plugged in, the electric current is routed to the battery.
    Once the battery reaches full charge, the electricity is routed away from the battery (preventing overcharging of the battery).
    But, the electricity must go somewhere, so it is routed around the phone’s internals.
    The issue is not that his OnePlus One failed in some way; the issue is that his charger was outputting a current with a lot of noise or otherwise malfunctioning. Once the battery was charged and the current was rerouted around the battery, the malfunctioning current caused heat that melted the plastic around the charging port of his device.

The user was using several third party chargers, along with a third party car charger from an unknown source, repeatedly. The user also noted that his phone was getting extremely warm while charging, suggesting that the charger was malfunctioning. However, the user continued using these chargers, resulting in damage.

We didn’t manufacture the chargers he was using with our device, and we cannot prevent damage caused by faulty or improper chargers that aren’t our’s. The users should contact the manufacturers of his charging devices in the event that he used a faulty charger.

Not to sound like a broken record, but we want to be very clear that this sort of event is not normal. However, the problem lies with the charger. We would also like to point out that the same thing will happen to smartphones from other manufacturers, as devices cannot prevent improper or faulty chargers from functioning incorrectly.

Again, we took this issue very seriously, and we are indeed very sorry that this happened. We ask that everyone please use the supplied charging brick and USB cable with their devices, as they are both guaranteed to be compatible and covered by warranty.
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/well-this-is-scary.246808/page-5#post-9289890
    You make it sound like only OnePlus is that way. You ever read the warranty card of a Samsung product?

Oppo provides a charger and cable and says to use theirs. How can it be their responsibility if you don't follow their directions ? It's owners fault, period. Stop trying to blame others for something the user did wrong.

Should Oppo be blamed if i decide to plug my phone directly in the AC power outlet with bare wires ? Hey you never know it might charge faster.....

C'mon, it's more fun to blame the big, bad corporation, play the victim, and get free stuff after doing something wrong...

First of all, what other companies do or do not do is irrelevant - it is crappy if one company does it and it is crappy if all companies do it.

We are not talking about proprietary charging systems, we are talking about a standardized charging mechanism. Clearly nobody is saying OPO should be responsible in the case of a faulty charger - but if the charger is not faulty and abides by the USB charging standard there is no excuse for the OPO not charging correctly. In fact, by European law it HAS to work.

What does this all mean? It means that OPO should at least check OP's phone - because faulty batteries DO happen, and in that case it would be OPO's fault regardless of what charger OP used.
    Probably due to using a cable that isn't rated to carry the current that the charger outputs and that the phone draws.

Transmitted via Bacon

kinda like using a skill saw on one of those two dollar 12' household extension cords. everything gets hot.
    Sorry to revive this older thread, but I stumbled upon it, after looking for a solution to a similar problem (sorry for long reply, but it is important to describe it well):

All of a sudden, my phone begun to drain the battery fast as hell. I thought it might be some app causing it (the statistic showed Google services to be the culprit, but I wanted to be sure) so I decided to do a factory reset.

The next day, my battery got drained fast again (in 8 hours or so...). So I decided to turn off "OK Google" service that was introduced to my android language version recently. I have disabled it and plugged the charger in.

After about half an hour of charging I wanted to check something so I picked up my phone and felt it got extremely hot on the back where the camera is located. I immediately unplugged the charger and the phone chirped "Battery low" warning showing that there is only 3% left. That means, that the phone was not charging the battery at all, but was using the power from the charger, since the phone got extremely hot.

I turned the phone off, let it cool down and tried to charge it again. No luck. I did another factory reset. No luck. I tried to charge the phone while turned off - no luck. I turned the phone on, put it into an airplane mode and it started charging!!!

That leads me to a conclusion, that the phone circuitry can sometimes misbehave and cause severe problems while charging, that could lead to almost any consequent problems (like melting). I am now waiting to see what happens after I charge it full. But I can tell that whenever I turn on WIFI, it stops charging (the icon shows "Charging", but it does nothing to the battery).

And BTW: I am using Samsung charger as well, as I do travel a lot, so I leave the OPO charger at home and carry the Samsung with me. It has lower amps than the OPO charger, which is actually a good thing, as slow charge is better for lithium batteries. The charger is just a dumb convertor, converting your outlet 230V AC to 5V DC. All the important decisions are made inside the phone - the circuitry inside the phone decides when to stop charging, the charger itself does nothing, so it basically doesn't matter what charger you use, as long as it is compliant with all the standards and is at least a little quality made, not some cheap piece of junk... It doesn't even matter what cable you use, if it is part of the charger, as it is always designed to be "strong" enough to withstand maximum current the charger is capable of. And the phone cannot "pull" more from the charger, than it is capable of...
    I just got a new OnePlus One over the holidays. I've noticed that periodically it was getting very hot when I was charging it, both when using a car and wall charger and multiple different cables. On Saturday night I left it on the charger overnight and in the morning the phone was melted around the charger cable! Check out the pics below.

Only thing worse is that OnePlus says that it's likely because I was using a 3rd party charging cable (from my Samsung Galaxy S3) so they won't provide a refund or replace it. But they will let me pay $350 for a new mother board. So I'm out $400 and a brand new phone.