[Q] Root for the One Plus One?

6th June 2014, 02:02 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 3

26 posts
Donate to Me
More
This phone has had my attention for a while now, and after reading and watching videos on the phone, my biggest question is about root. If Cyanogenmod 11s isn't pre-rooted right out of the box, is there a root method/someone working on a root method and if not, how long will it be until that becomes a reality? If the phone doesn't have root, I'm afraid that I may not be able to go for this phone as I am heavily invested a number of root operations and apps that I have set up on my phone. Let me know if anyone knows anything.
6th June 2014, 02:50 AM   |  #2  
Flag Tucson, AZ
Thanks Meter: 195

718 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambombz

This phone has had my attention for a while now, and after reading and watching videos on the phone, my biggest question is about root. If Cyanogenmod 11s isn't pre-rooted right out of the box, is there a root method/someone working on a root method and if not, how long will it be until that becomes a reality? If the phone doesn't have root, I'm afraid that I may not be able to go for this phone as I am heavily invested a number of root operations and apps that I have set up on my phone. Let me know if anyone knows anything.

It's not rooted out-of-the-box. Google doesn't allow this. But apparently, root will be very easy; just plug it into your computer and enter in a few command lines and you're set (so I've heard). Undoubtedly someone will make a one-click script that makes it even easier.
6th June 2014, 06:26 AM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Aachen
Thanks Meter: 911

2,384 posts
More
EDIT: Sorry for that one, was posting too fast without thinking first... Actually rooting includes unlocking bootloader and flashing the required binaries via recovery like said below my post.

Sent from my Desire X using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Last edited by dansou901; 9th June 2014 at 06:17 PM.
6th June 2014, 10:54 AM   |  #4  
Flag Tucson, AZ

718 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansou901

It will be even easier then that. You'll just have to enable root in developer settings, that's all.

Really? Sweet!
6th June 2014, 10:56 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 231

719 posts
Andrew Martonik at Android Central spent almost a month with the phone and had this to say about rooting in the review he released just a couple days ago.
Quote:

Naturally if you want to root the phone, it's only a quick USB cable plug into your computer and a few command line entries away.

Good read, BTW.

OnePlus One Review | Android Central
6th June 2014, 01:30 PM   |  #6  
Flag Tucson, AZ

718 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeKampuchia

Andrew Martonik at Android Central spent almost a month with the phone and had this to say about rooting in the review he released just a couple days ago.
Good read, BTW.

OnePlus One Review | Android Central

That's where I heard it. In any case, it'll be simple; that much was promised from the beginning.

What about SuperSU though? I'm honestly not sure how that gets installed to the right place; the only times I've rooted were with programs that did it for me.
6th June 2014, 06:19 PM   |  #7  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 4,190

7,820 posts
More
I don't think the retail cm11 will have root. In order to pass android cts, they had to remove root from the release builds. Don't worry, the phone is likely either unlocked or unlockable and it can be rooted with supersu or superuser like a Nexus device. Speculation but I don't see the cm folk going with a locked down phone. Maybe someone who has cm11s should confirm if it has root.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
7th June 2014, 05:37 PM   |  #8  
Developer Committee / OEM Relations / XDA Portal Team - Harbinger of Doom
Flag Gallifrey
Thanks Meter: 4,229

5,948 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansou901

It will be even easier then that. You'll just have to enable root in developer settings, that's all.

Sent from my Desire X using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Oh really? Absolutely ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny4579

I don't think the retail cm11 will have root. In order to pass android cts, they had to remove root from the release builds. Don't worry, the phone is likely either unlocked or unlockable and it can be rooted with supersu or superuser like a Nexus device. Speculation but I don't see the cm folk going with a locked down phone. Maybe someone who has cm11s should confirm if it has root.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Correct - no retail device shipping with Google CTS/GMS can have root enabled, much less the ability to right OUT OF THE BOX. It has to be done manually by the user, at their discretion.
8th June 2014, 03:09 AM   |  #9  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 5,982

4,400 posts
Donate to Me
More
From what I've read so far, it seems that the phone is fastboot unlocked by default (Normally you'd have to run "fastboot oem unlock"). Since that's already been taken care of, all that would need to be done to gain root is flash a recovery using "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" (official TWRP build is available), and finally install the SuperSU zip via your newly flashed custom recovery.

Essentially the same method as a Nexus device, other than the fact that the bootloader is already unlocked so that step can be skipped.
14th June 2014, 12:08 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 585

2,129 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromium

From what I've read so far, it seems that the phone is fastboot unlocked by default (Normally you'd have to run "fastboot oem unlock"). Since that's already been taken care of, all that would need to be done to gain root is flash a recovery using "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" (official TWRP build is available), and finally install the SuperSU zip via your newly flashed custom recovery.

Essentially the same method as a Nexus device, other than the fact that the bootloader is already unlocked so that step can be skipped.

So no way to use CM's SuperUser app huh because that's built into the OS. We'll have to use a 3rd party app like SuperSU?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
customizing, cyanogenmod 11s, one plus one, root
Previous Thread Next Thread