Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Rooting + Ota updates

OP cyldman

27th July 2014, 10:35 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
28 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
Hey guys I will get my phone this week and I was wondering what these OTA updates are?

When I press update in the options of oneplus, is that it?

I wanna root my phone but I heard OTA updates might not be available.

So, are they available or not? Should I root the phone? I really need it but I don't wanna miss any oficial updates.
I hope I don't lose my root later or something!
Last edited by cyldman; 27th July 2014 at 10:56 PM.
27th July 2014, 11:17 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Flag Oeiras
Thanks Meter: 12
 
122 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2006
Rooting + Ota updates
OTA updates are Over The Air Updates, and usually they include bug fixes, new functionalities or even a new version of android.

I red in this forum that rooting the OPO does not void the warranty and the phone continues to perform the OTA updates.


Can anyone confirm?
28th July 2014, 03:44 AM   |  #3  
farangutan's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 28
 
128 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
If you change the recovery you may lose the ability to receive the ota updates. But, you're in luck, you can boot into a custom recovery and flash the zip file to gain root access without installing the recovery on the phone itself.

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

A couple tutorials floating around and I believe stickied explain this.
28th July 2014, 03:46 PM   |  #4  
playya's Avatar
Senior Member
Florida
Thanks Meter: 2,150
 
6,190 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2007
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyldman

Hey guys I will get my phone this week and I was wondering what these OTA updates are?

When I press update in the options of oneplus, is that it?

I wanna root my phone but I heard OTA updates might not be available.

So, are they available or not? Should I root the phone? I really need it but I don't wanna miss any oficial updates.
I hope I don't lose my root later or something!

if you root the phone you can flash the updated file or any file for that matter. So to not root your phone to update it to the latest rom to then root your phone and put something completely different on it makes no sense.

Now if you are rooting just to keep stock and root - again you can root and flash stock rom from this forum.. Win Win for you
28th July 2014, 06:05 PM   |  #5  
zaibrockstar's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
55 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by playya

if you root the phone you can flash the updated file or any file for that matter. So to not root your phone to update it to the latest rom to then root your phone and put something completely different on it makes no sense.

Now if you are rooting just to keep stock and root - again you can root and flash stock rom from this forum.. Win Win for you

Hi,

I want some clarity on how OTA is tied with recovery ? If I put TWRP recovery will I loose the ability for OTA?

Thanks
28th July 2014, 06:07 PM   |  #6  
playya's Avatar
Senior Member
Florida
Thanks Meter: 2,150
 
6,190 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2007
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaibrockstar

Hi,

I want some clarity on how OTA is tied with recovery ? If I put TWRP recovery will I loose the ability for OTA?

Thanks

From my understanding not with 1+1 but OTA's are generally flashed via stock recovery and not custom ones. Question - what was your other android phone?
28th July 2014, 06:14 PM   |  #7  
zaibrockstar's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
55 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by playya

From my understanding not with 1+1 but OTA's are generally flashed via stock recovery and not custom ones. Question - what was your other android phone?

I had Nexus 4, Now I am using Nexus 5. I bought OPO to gift to my Dad and wanted to use adfree or adaway and give the phone as it is. But for them to work I need to root access. My understanding is once you put a unlock boot loader and have TWRP, then root it. I will loose OTA. I will not be able to flash the phone every time there is an update as he lives in a different country and I cant travel quite often.

Thanks
28th July 2014, 06:17 PM   |  #8  
playya's Avatar
Senior Member
Florida
Thanks Meter: 2,150
 
6,190 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2007
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaibrockstar

I had Nexus 4, Now I am using Nexus 5. I bought OPO to gift to my Dad and wanted to use adfree or adaway and give the phone as it is. But for them to work I need to root access. My understanding is once you put a unlock boot loader and have TWRP, then root it. I will loose OTA. I will not be able to flash the phone every time there is an update as he lives in a different country and I cant travel quite often.

Thanks

Then I would go to the thread in general that shows you how to root your phone without unlocking bootloader and use that method . http://forum.xda-developers.com/onep...oader-t2820628
28th July 2014, 06:27 PM   |  #9  
zaibrockstar's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
55 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by playya

Then I would go to the thread in general that shows you how to root your phone without unlocking bootloader and use that method . http://forum.xda-developers.com/onep...oader-t2820628

Thanks for the info. I had read this, but was not clear.

Quote:

Instead just run "fastboot boot recovery.img" and flash the supersu zip from there.

What I have understood is we are just booting into default recovery and flashing the su binary. Is that correct ?

I have one risk in such case. I will not have an Nandriod Backup with default recovery.

Thanks
28th July 2014, 06:40 PM   |  #10  
playya's Avatar
Senior Member
Florida
Thanks Meter: 2,150
 
6,190 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2007
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaibrockstar

Thanks for the info. I had read this, but was not clear.



What I have understood is we are just booting into default recovery and flashing the su binary. Is that correct ?

I have one risk in such case. I will not have an Nandriod Backup with default recovery.

Thanks

Stock recovery can always be reflashed and you follow the directions as posted to the tee and yes you boot into recovery flash su binary and thats it. To my understanding you will be flashing twrp but instead of it sticking it just flashes for that session so that you can flash the su binary.

I would go to that thread and ask in there directly for those that have done it or google it. This is of course if that is the route you would like to take

The Following User Says Thank You to playya For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes