Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,949 Members 43,440 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can someone explain the difference between Oppo, Cyanogen Inc. and OnePlus?

Tip us?

don quixada
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Can someone explain the difference between Oppo, Cyanogen Inc. and OnePlus?

I'm really confused, I thought the OnePlus One was made by Oppo in partnership with Cyanogen Inc. but at least according to the wikipedia articles (Cyanogen, OnePlus, Oppo) there doesn't seem to be such a cohesive connection. Does anyone have an explanation?

Note that the OnePlus wiki page keeps changing...

dq

The Jack of Clubs
Old
Thanks Meter 468
oneplus is its own company. oppo is an investor and does some of the manufacturing. cyanogen licenses cm11s to oneplus for its international units. be careful, people pull out their tinfoil hats over this.

_MetalHead_
Old
Thanks Meter 2,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by don quixada View Post
I'm really confused, I thought the OnePlus One was made by Oppo in partnership with Cyanogen Inc. but at least according to the wikipedia articles (Cyanogen, OnePlus, Oppo) there doesn't seem to be such a cohesive connection. Does anyone have an explanation?

Note that the OnePlus wiki page keeps changing...

dq
OnePlus is the company who designs/produces/sells the phone, ie. it's their device. Oppo is the company who is manufacturing it for them. OnePlus was actually started by an ex Oppo exec and last I heard, the speculation was that OnePlus is actually a spinoff company from Oppo. Cyanogen Inc is providing the software. Before they were an actual company, Cyanogen was the most popular custom ROM amongst the modding community. So this phone essentially ships with the ROM that most people flashed on their other devices.

Basically, the device is publicly a collaboration between OnePlus and Cyanogen, with Oppo working behind the scenes. Hope that answers your question.
\m/(-_-)\m/