[BUG FIX] Google Now Not Working - How I Fixed It ** NOT mic levels **

6th August 2014, 03:06 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag N.C.
Thanks Meter: 1,126

4,826 posts
Donate to Me
More
I know I am not alone here. The OPO just did not work well with Google Now. I realized two things fairly quickly, on my device...

1 - All voice commands were heard and worked very well, with the exception of saying "OK GOOGLE."

2 - The Google app was different. I came from a Nexus 5 and the Google Now apk when opened, if you scrolled to the bottom, the menu for settings was in the bottom right. That was absent on the OPO version - and I had to go to Google Settings to edit the "OK GOOGLE" recognition / any screen feature.

So... clearly not a hardware issue, which made me feel a lot better.

I then decided to abandon CM11S (4.4.2... with bugs) for a ROM like SlimKat (4.4.4). I also flashed their full GAPPS package.

Low and behold, Google Now worked PERFECTLY. No issues. And wouldn't you know, the settings were at the bottom of the Google Now app. I am uncertain the two build numbers, but I would have to assume one could just replace the Google apk and have some resolution for the "OK GOOGLE" not working.

Below is a video of what I was experiencing on CM11S. Now, this video is making my OPO activate Google Now, just having the video play. Hysterical.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Last edited by s15274n; 6th August 2014 at 04:36 PM.
6th August 2014, 08:26 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 41

235 posts
Is everyone having problems with ok Google? I have no problems with it on any of my opo and I was thinking is was because I have a deep voice but it works for my wife as well. We both say ok Google as if we were speaking to someone standing in front of us.

All 3 phones are stock by the way.
6th August 2014, 08:31 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 85

303 posts
Yea except google now will show the menu button if you disable the hardware menu button on CM11S. Also the microphone levels fix has been known for a while and is the problem, it is likely that the rom you flashed just already used the increased microphone values.
6th August 2014, 10:27 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag N.C.
Thanks Meter: 1,126

4,826 posts
Donate to Me
More
I had adjusted the mic before-hand, and have used various ROMs.

it was not until I used SlimKat that it worked...

in every circumstance I have the nav bar off, so it is not the menu settings either from what I can tell.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread