No registration required

[Q] GPS Issues

OP ValmonUni

20th August 2014, 06:11 AM   |  #11  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Hints
Here's some new data. As I mentioned, my GPS was working fine up until a few days ago. In those few days, I installed 2 apps: "UP", by Jawbone, and "MyFitnessPal". Both of them use the GPS for some sort of logging.

Anyway, this morning I installed "AppOps" from the App Store. It's the one by Sylvain Galand, and the package is fr.slvn.appops. It doesn't need root, apparently. I used that to disable location access from both UP and MyFitnessPal. Since then, my GPS has been working fine again.

I think there's something broken under the LocationManager implementation in this version of Cyanogen. Seems like some apps are able to break it somehow. The other thread about this subject points fingers at Dragon Dictate, too. Whatever it is, apps shouldn't be able to wedge a system service like this.
20th August 2014, 08:17 PM   |  #12  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

11 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by walendo

Here's some new data. As I mentioned, my GPS was working fine up until a few days ago. In those few days, I installed 2 apps: "UP", by Jawbone, and "MyFitnessPal". Both of them use the GPS for some sort of logging.

Anyway, this morning I installed "AppOps" from the App Store. It's the one by Sylvain Galand, and the package is fr.slvn.appops. It doesn't need root, apparently. I used that to disable location access from both UP and MyFitnessPal. Since then, my GPS has been working fine again.

I think there's something broken under the LocationManager implementation in this version of Cyanogen. Seems like some apps are able to break it somehow. The other thread about this subject points fingers at Dragon Dictate, too. Whatever it is, apps shouldn't be able to wedge a system service like this.

I honestly hope that they at the very least acknowledge that this issue exists. GPS Navigation is a primary use for mobile. I haven't installed anything that would break location. All I Have is Waze and Google.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread