Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,050 Members 43,002 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Howto] Leverage screen size

Tip us?

mitch.munich
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Lightbulb [Howto] Leverage screen size

When I got my Oneplus One I was a little disappointed because some apps don't realy leverage the screen size gain compared to smaller screens. E.g. the standard Email-app shows just as many items per screen as it does on a 4.2" screen, just bigger.

Also I wondered how to increase the number of app symbols in a row in the Trebuchet (CM11s standard-launcher) app drawer.

Then I found the solution:
Install Xposed and the App Settings module. Don't forget to activate both and restart the phone.

In App Settings you can change the DPI for individual apps. E.g. I changed the DPI to 400 for Trebuchet. Now I get 5 apps in a row in the app drawer instead of 4. Same with the Email-app: Now it shows more items in the list of mails, just a little smaller.

Hope this helps.

Mitch.
The Following User Says Thank You to mitch.munich For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

S M G
Old
Thanks Meter 29
You could also change the DPI from 480 to something smaller in BUILD.PROP, root is required obviously, but then again Xposed also needs root AFAIK.

Changing the BUILD.PROP setting will change your entire UI to the desired DPI which looks pretty amazing IMO
YOUR ATTITUDE DETERMINES YOUR LATITUDE

timmaaa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,244

DONATE TO ME
Yep, changing the build.prop is a much more effective method. One small change and you have a global effect, rather than having to change the DPI for apps individually.

Transmitted via Bacon
OnePlus One | crDroid/AK | TWRP 2.7.1.1

Do not PM me asking for assistance, that's what my Q&A thread is for!

zephiK
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4,748

DONATE TO ME
Another way to change DPI is using https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...texdroider_dpi very minimal app and does the job well. 380 is the dpi I use, no problems with Play Store apps either.
Follow me on Twitter! | Scrolling Mods for Various OPO Roms

OnePlus One: Mahdi | Franco Kernel
Older devices: Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus, TF101, Nexus S, Samsung Vibrant, G1

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zephiK For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

timmaaa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,244

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephiK View Post
Another way to change DPI is using https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...texdroider_dpi very minimal app and does the job well. 380 is the dpi I use, no problems with Play Store apps either.
I use a DPI of 370 on mine, I can't stand the way everything looks with a stock DPI, it's such a waste of screen real estate.

Transmitted via Bacon
OnePlus One | crDroid/AK | TWRP 2.7.1.1

Do not PM me asking for assistance, that's what my Q&A thread is for!
The Following User Says Thank You to timmaaa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LostPr0ph3t
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch.munich View Post
When I got my Oneplus One I was a little disappointed because some apps don't realy leverage the screen size gain compared to smaller screens. E.g. the standard Email-app shows just as many items per screen as it does on a 4.2" screen, just bigger.

Also I wondered how to increase the number of app symbols in a row in the Trebuchet (CM11s standard-launcher) app drawer.

Then I found the solution:
Install Xposed and the App Settings module. Don't forget to activate both and restart the phone.

In App Settings you can change the DPI for individual apps. E.g. I changed the DPI to 400 for Trebuchet. Now I get 5 apps in a row in the app drawer instead of 4. Same with the Email-app: Now it shows more items in the list of mails, just a little smaller.

Hope this helps.

Mitch.
Thanks. i will try it with the game "My Railway"... This is so small on stock Opo, it doesn't make fun...

muzhik
Old
Thanks Meter 80

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephiK View Post
since the new hangouts app, it says that this app is not compatible with your device. can anyone else replicate this problem, my dpi is at 410
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
Albert Einstein
extra storage for your 1+1 <<20GB *free* cloud>>
Mahdi | Franco Kernel

gerciolisz
Old
Thanks Meter 181
Afaik there are some "special" dpi levels for apps.. Stock dpi may work, 410 may not, but for example 370 may work again... Dont remember exactly which are good

zephiK
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4,748

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerciolisz View Post
Afaik there are some "special" dpi levels for apps.. Stock dpi may work, 410 may not, but for example 370 may work again... Dont remember exactly which are good
Shows compatible with 380 but yeah what gerciolisz said. Depending what dpi it is, play store may not like it.
There was a modded play store that work around the problem but it hasnt been updated.
Follow me on Twitter! | Scrolling Mods for Various OPO Roms

OnePlus One: Mahdi | Franco Kernel
Older devices: Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus, TF101, Nexus S, Samsung Vibrant, G1