Nvidia and Robotics w/ Barrett Williams – XDA:DevCon 2014

Robotics continues to dominate our videos from this years XDA:DevCon 2014 in … more

Speed Up Deodexing with JoelDroid Batch Deodexer

Android 5.0 Lollipop brings many under-the-hood changes like changing the default compiler … more

Top 5 Apps for 2014 + Top Xposed Mod of 2014 – XDA TV

Its that time of year where you look back and remember the things that happened … more

NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet Gets Android 5.0.1, OTA Available

The NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet is the latest Android-powered device released by famed GPU … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Howto] Leverage screen size

OP mitch.munich

2nd September 2014, 12:50 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
1 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
When I got my Oneplus One I was a little disappointed because some apps don't realy leverage the screen size gain compared to smaller screens. E.g. the standard Email-app shows just as many items per screen as it does on a 4.2" screen, just bigger.

Also I wondered how to increase the number of app symbols in a row in the Trebuchet (CM11s standard-launcher) app drawer.

Then I found the solution:
Install Xposed and the App Settings module. Don't forget to activate both and restart the phone.

In App Settings you can change the DPI for individual apps. E.g. I changed the DPI to 400 for Trebuchet. Now I get 5 apps in a row in the app drawer instead of 4. Same with the Email-app: Now it shows more items in the list of mails, just a little smaller.

Hope this helps.

Mitch.
The Following User Says Thank You to mitch.munich For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd September 2014, 02:02 PM   |  #2  
S M G's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 64
 
154 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
More
You could also change the DPI from 480 to something smaller in BUILD.PROP, root is required obviously, but then again Xposed also needs root AFAIK.

Changing the BUILD.PROP setting will change your entire UI to the desired DPI which looks pretty amazing IMO
2nd September 2014, 02:22 PM   |  #3  
timmaaa's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 7,577
 
15,565 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
Donate to Me
More
Yep, changing the build.prop is a much more effective method. One small change and you have a global effect, rather than having to change the DPI for apps individually.

Transmitted via Bacon
2nd September 2014, 02:59 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag New York, NY
Thanks Meter: 6,115
 
14,252 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2009
Donate to Me
More
Another way to change DPI is using https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...texdroider_dpi very minimal app and does the job well. 380 is the dpi I use, no problems with Play Store apps either.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zephiK For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd September 2014, 03:20 PM   |  #5  
timmaaa's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 7,577
 
15,565 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephiK

Another way to change DPI is using https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...texdroider_dpi very minimal app and does the job well. 380 is the dpi I use, no problems with Play Store apps either.

I use a DPI of 370 on mine, I can't stand the way everything looks with a stock DPI, it's such a waste of screen real estate.

Transmitted via Bacon
The Following User Says Thank You to timmaaa For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd September 2014, 03:42 PM   |  #6  
LostPr0ph3t's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag Germany
Thanks Meter: 4
 
26 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch.munich

When I got my Oneplus One I was a little disappointed because some apps don't realy leverage the screen size gain compared to smaller screens. E.g. the standard Email-app shows just as many items per screen as it does on a 4.2" screen, just bigger.

Also I wondered how to increase the number of app symbols in a row in the Trebuchet (CM11s standard-launcher) app drawer.

Then I found the solution:
Install Xposed and the App Settings module. Don't forget to activate both and restart the phone.

In App Settings you can change the DPI for individual apps. E.g. I changed the DPI to 400 for Trebuchet. Now I get 5 apps in a row in the app drawer instead of 4. Same with the Email-app: Now it shows more items in the list of mails, just a little smaller.

Hope this helps.

Mitch.

Thanks. i will try it with the game "My Railway"... This is so small on stock Opo, it doesn't make fun...
18th September 2014, 08:06 AM   |  #7  
muzhik's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag planet_EaRtH
Thanks Meter: 94
 
214 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2008
Donate to Me
More
Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephiK

Another way to change DPI is using https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...texdroider_dpi very minimal app and does the job well. 380 is the dpi I use, no problems with Play Store apps either.

since the new hangouts app, it says that this app is not compatible with your device. can anyone else replicate this problem, my dpi is at 410
18th September 2014, 08:45 PM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 201
 
575 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
Afaik there are some "special" dpi levels for apps.. Stock dpi may work, 410 may not, but for example 370 may work again... Dont remember exactly which are good
18th September 2014, 09:23 PM   |  #9  
Recognized Contributor
Flag New York, NY
Thanks Meter: 6,115
 
14,252 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2009
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerciolisz

Afaik there are some "special" dpi levels for apps.. Stock dpi may work, 410 may not, but for example 370 may work again... Dont remember exactly which are good

Shows compatible with 380 but yeah what gerciolisz said. Depending what dpi it is, play store may not like it.
There was a modded play store that work around the problem but it hasnt been updated.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes