Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Oneplus One battery drains very fast when hotspot is turned on

OP Falen

7th August 2014, 08:46 PM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 60

332 posts
Your M7 has half the battery that your opo has so it would charge quicker.
7th August 2014, 10:25 PM   |  #12  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 7,509

15,469 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falen

No, I am not using the charger that came with it. I am not sure how many amps this charger has but I have used it with my M7 and it charges a lot faster when I had hotspot turned on with it.

You need to make sure you're using a 2a charger, otherwise your charging performance is going to be awful whether you're tethering or not. You also need to make sure the cable your using can handle the current properly.

Transmitted via Bacon
8th August 2014, 12:45 AM   |  #13  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 6

82 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4fseeker

Hotspot makes your phone stay active all the time. While this sounds somewhat extreme, it is to be expected that the phone drains a lot of battery when it keeps the data connection open (3G idle won't work well) and keeps processing hotspot informations.

Please post your charger amp rating, I expect it to be below or at 1amp, which would be half of what the phone can be charged with. Also make sure the cable (if not bundled) is capable of handling the current. Many USB cables, especially longer ones, barely manage 0.5amp let alone 1 or even 2 amp.

I was using my Nexus One charger. I guess that is probably 1 amp. It old, but it did the job. I still miss using a trackball.
8th August 2014, 12:51 PM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 1

26 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falen

I was using my Nexus One charger. I guess that is probably 1 amp. It old, but it did the job. I still miss using a trackball.

There are two issues Falen , Like everyone mentioned.

+ Charger
+ USB cables.

If you have the official charger ( from OPO which send current at 2 Amps ) and you have a non-official USB cables , it would not be sending the current at the rate that your charger send .

If you are using Official USB cables but the charger is not Official , then charger will not send the enough current to charge the device .

Check the below video to get some highlights : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAozhkQdaow

So when power hunger apps like hotspot , GPS is being used your batter is draining faster than the power supplied and that could be the issue.

So i would recommend to buy the official charger / USB cable and see if that makes the difference , it would be expensive that the cheap charger but its worth the investment.
9th August 2014, 09:09 AM   |  #15  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 37

161 posts
More
Battery drain during hotspot is normal on all phone. Basically hotspot took a lot of battery. It happened to all brands, Samsung, htc, and also iPhone.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread