Rom dev

Search This thread

Xavierdarkness

May 25, 2010
So I am making a rom. It's written in C++, CSS, and HTML. I need a bit of help, my CSS is rusty so if there's any experts out there I welcome your help. If there's any designers out there well versed in C++ you are more than welcome to join on up. I hope to have a working prototype in the next few days, let's make this the best rom for the OnePlus One there is!

Xavierdarkness

May 25, 2010
I am confused. What am I turning off and on again? I just want to make a good rom for this community. I am just asking for help. Please, no jokes. Serious replies only.

Reactions: PatrickC

superiscch

Jul 9, 2012
Oostende
I think that there already enough roms from experienced devs... You want to make a rom but don't have the knowledge.

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
I think that there already enough roms from experienced devs... You want to make a rom but don't have the knowledge.
Why discourage someone like that? You don't know him or what he's capable of. What if someone had said that to the developer of your favourite ROM when he was starting out and he listened? XDA is a place to encourage development, and a place to encourage people who want to learn how to build ROMs. There can never be too many ROMs available, and there can never be too many people/devs working on them. This guy could be the next big thing in the ROM community and all you want to do is shut him down. Unless you're going to contribute in a positive way, maybe don't post.

Transmitted via Bacon

superiscch

Jul 9, 2012
Oostende
Why discourage someone like that? You don't know him or what he's capable of. What if someone had said that to the developer of your favourite ROM when he was starting out and he listened? XDA is a place to encourage development, and a place to encourage people who want to learn how to build ROMs. There can never be too many ROMs available, and there can never be too many people/devs working on them. This guy could be the next big thing in the ROM community and all you want to do is shut him down. Unless you're going to contribute in a positive way, maybe don't post.

Transmitted via Bacon
Maybe my words sound to hard on a screen but I don't want to discourage him ?

I'm just thinking that he is underestimating the job... He has 3 posts, needs people to do the majority of the job. Just my 2 cents.

But from now on only positive words, apparently negative is not allowed. Good to know...

Last edited:

Quasar

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 3, 2013
Mumbai
So I am making a rom. It's written in C++, CSS, and HTML. I need a bit of help, my CSS is rusty so if there's any experts out there I welcome your help. If there's any designers out there well versed in C++ you are more than welcome to join on up. I hope to have a working prototype in the next few days, let's make this the best rom for the OnePlus One there is!

Umm... Building a ROM is kinda different. You don't exactly have to write all the code yourself (that would take a few lifetimes :p). You have to use existing stuff, and patch it together the way you like. You can change the coding style and stuff to the way you want. The CM development page would be a great idea to start with getting familiar with all the stuff. :)

Reactions: ataft

bliind

Jan 28, 2009
Hamden, CT
Xavierdarkness, your enthusiasm is awesome. I'm pretty sure your rusty CSS skills are okay though, but you should really pick up some ActionScript if you intend on making the best ROM.

Xavierdarkness

May 25, 2010
Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement. It means a lot. I hope to draw on my existing knowledge of QBASIC, VB 6, and HTML to help me on this journey. I'll likely have something up in the next few days if anyone would like to check over my QBASIC to make sure I am getting the API right with android. Thanks again, I'll read all the links you guys have provided and will update this periodically.

mysteres

Aug 4, 2013
A new team inside XDA of developers will be a good news.
Perhaps learn must be encouraged and I hate people say that there are too many roms... This is not a marketplace but a place for developers.

Sent from my A0001 using XDA Free mobile app

PatrickC

Jan 30, 2012
Jacksonville
gadgtspot.com
Guys on here who work for or run their own ROM teams, why not invite Xavierdarkness to your team and show him the ropes? Looks like his knowledge is there, just needs some nudging...

Pirateghost

Jul 24, 2010
androidninjas.com
I'm curious how one would build a ROM from nothing more than C++, CSS, and HTML....if you don't have the Java how will it run android apps?

#stayparanoid

cybojenix

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 7, 2012
I'm curious how one would build a ROM from nothing more than C++, CSS, and HTML....if you don't have the Java how will it run android apps?

#stayparanoid

there are too many inefficient android apps. I think stopping the apps from running is a good thing. more speed! more battery!

Quasar

Dec 3, 2013
Mumbai
there are too many inefficient android apps. I think stopping the apps from running is a good thing. more speed! more battery!

You do realise that your settings menu is an app, your dialer is an app, basically, almost every functionality of your phone is through an app :/

cybojenix

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 7, 2012
You do realise that your settings menu is an app, your dialer is an app, basically, almost every functionality of your phone is through an app :/

of course I know this.

do you realise a dialer, or settings, or anything functional on a device doesn't have to be written in java? *points at TWRP* at the rate they are going, we'll have recoveries that can send/receive texts, and make calls

Quasar

Dec 3, 2013
Mumbai
of course I know this.

do you realise a dialer, or settings, or anything functional on a device doesn't have to be written in java? *points at TWRP* at the rate they are going, we'll have recoveries that can send/receive texts, and make calls

Whoops. Sorry. Sarcasm doesn't work well online :p

Oh damn! The mobile app doesn't even make RDs/FSM/whatever recognisable. Sorry.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Transmitted via Bacon
    I am confused. What am I turning off and on again? I just want to make a good rom for this community. I am just asking for help. Please, no jokes. Serious replies only.

Umm... Building a ROM is kinda different. You don't exactly have to write all the code yourself (that would take a few lifetimes :p). You have to use existing stuff, and patch it together the way you like. You can change the coding style and stuff to the way you want. The CM development page would be a great idea to start with getting familiar with all the stuff. :)

there ya go, way to show some support. never enough roms, but always to many self important people