FORUMS

Xiaomi Releases Kernel Source Code For Mi4i

If you’ve been following the XDA News Portal lately, you might have noticed an … more

How to Listen to Beats 1 on Android Right Now

If you felt a bit left out by Apple launching their own online radio station Beats 1 … more

NVidia SHIELD TV – XDA TV Device Review

The SHIELD TV is a not an Android smartphone device. However, that doesn’t mean it … more

PSA: Having cellular connectivity or texting issues tonight?

You’re not alone…Tonight, many users are experiencing a myriad … more

How to root 33R OTA without unlocking the bootloader?

2 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By vexfox, Junior Member on 2nd September 2014, 07:45 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Has anyway found a way to Root the OnePlus One without having to flash a custom recovery with the new 33R OTA?
(yes I didn't check the CM recovery)

*But after I updated to the 33R update I still had root access intact, despite gaining root by boot and not having unlocked the bootloader under 33R. The problem was I did a factory reset and obviously it reflashed the newer bootloader and I lost root access (yes stupid)

This can no longer be done 'fastboot boot twrpimgname.img' with the 33R update ;
Aren't One Plus all about give you the power so why did they go ahead and block boot custom recovery that worked before ??

This is the under 33R OTA =

C:\adb>adb reboot bootloader

C:\adb>fastboot boot openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.1-bacon.img
downloading 'openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.1-bacon.img'...
OKAY [ 0.402s]
booting...
FAILED (remote: Device not unlocked cannot boot)
finished. total time: 0.404s

Seems the have patched being able to boot a custom recovery without unlocking the boot loader

Yes I realized the the 'Update CM recovery' option but not after I updated to 33R (my oneplus was rooted without having to unlock the boot loader)

I did do a Nandriod backup of course before the 33R OTA.
The nandriod backup is rooted without having to unlock the bootloader via this ' fastboot boot twrpimgname.img '

Is their no way yet to boot a custom recovery without unlocking the boot loader ? Does one have to wait for a update twrp recovery to boot not flash ?
 
 
2nd September 2014, 07:57 AM |#2  
mcbyte_it's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 287
 
More
The question is: WHY?

the locked bootloader is locked because it allows only booting a signed recovery, if you use a custom-unsigned-by-manufacturer recovery there is no sense in keeping the bootloader locked.....

OnePlus knows that 90% of the users are rooting and unlocking, so there is no sense to keep it unlocked.... in case of necessity, you can relock the bootloader !!!


Anyway, you wrote in the wrong section !!!
2nd September 2014, 09:23 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbyte_it

The question is: WHY?

the locked bootloader is locked because it allows only booting a signed recovery, if you use a custom-unsigned-by-manufacturer recovery there is no sense in keeping the bootloader locked.....

OnePlus knows that 90% of the users are rooting and unlocking, so there is no sense to keep it unlocked.... in case of necessity, you can relock the bootloader !!!


Anyway, you wrote in the wrong section !!!

What area is the right one, my bad.

Also asking if their is a way around the 33R to boot custom recovery
2nd September 2014, 01:26 PM |#4  
Heisenberg's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Knocking on your door
Thanks Meter: 10,294
 
Donate to Me
More
Why though?? You don't need to boot to a custom recovery. Just unlock the bootloader, it doesn't void your warranty. You have absolutely nothing to lose by doing it, and absolutely nothing to gain by leaving it locked.

Transmitted via Bacon
2nd September 2014, 02:27 PM |#5  
Perilla_'s Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Cádiz
Thanks Meter: 122
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaaa

Why though?? You don't need to boot to a custom recovery. Just unlock the bootloader, it doesn't void your warranty. You have absolutely nothing to lose by doing it, and absolutely nothing to gain by leaving it locked.

Transmitted via Bacon

Just an innocent wipe... and he only wants root.
2nd September 2014, 02:34 PM |#6  
Heisenberg's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Knocking on your door
Thanks Meter: 10,294
 
Donate to Me
More
Yeah and the right way to get root is to unlock your bootloader, install TWRP, and flash SuperSU.

Back stuff up, unlock bootloader, restore stuff. It's stupid to try to 'hack' into the world's easiest phone to root.

Transmitted via Bacon
The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd September 2014, 02:59 PM |#7  
-fluffy-'s Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Gislev
Thanks Meter: 1,429
 
Donate to Me
More
go back to 25R an root it
then untick the update recovery in develop settings
install recovery twrp
now remember to have the update recovery
install the 33R
with twrp an in the end choose fix permissions
now u can download from phone it will come up to fully root
just hit fully root an install with twrp
it will download root
an restart in recovery wait fore it to finnish an u are now rooted on 33R
The Following User Says Thank You to -fluffy- For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd September 2014, 04:54 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 39
 
More
Have you tried towelroot? https://towelroot.com/
3rd September 2014, 11:06 PM |#9  
Heisenberg's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Knocking on your door
Thanks Meter: 10,294
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by -fluffy-

go back to 25R an root it
then untick the update recovery in develop settings
install recovery twrp
now remember to have the update recovery
install the 33R
with twrp an in the end choose fix permissions
now u can download from phone it will come up to fully root
just hit fully root an install with twrp
it will download root
an restart in recovery wait fore it to finnish an u are now rooted on 33R

How's he meant to go back without an unlocked bootloader??

Transmitted via Bacon
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes