XDA Xposed Tuesday: XHangouts Will Improve Your Hangouts

Ever since Google started supporting text messaging in Hangouts many people have … more

Shattered Screen? Turn Your Broken Device into a Complete Media Center!

A cracked screen usually means you’ll have to spend a hefty … more

Gmail 5.0: Material Design and Multiple Account Support

Google started to materialize many of its applications right after announcing the … more

Some of Our Favorite Features in Android 5.0 Lollipop

Android 5.0 Lollipop is the latest major revision to Google’s mobile operating … more

[Q] Tethering hack. T-Mobile USA

OP lemonspeakers

8th August 2014, 01:41 PM   |  #11  
Florida
Thanks Meter: 2,022

5,951 posts
Donate to Me
If you are on the $20 unlimited data plan such as myself you are given 3gb of free tethering so I am not sure why it does not work or simply why you can't call TMo and ask them. All there plans come with some form of tethering. Have you tried both wifi and usb tethering? Have you tried connecting to another phone or tablet?

Edit: Does it work in H+ or rather take it off of LTE
Last edited by playya; 8th August 2014 at 01:44 PM.
8th August 2014, 02:36 PM   |  #12  
Recognized Contributor
Flag New York, NY
Thanks Meter: 5,393

13,290 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonspeakers

Unfortunately, it does not work for me.
What data service do you have? Do you think it could be linked to it somehow? I have the old ValuePlan $20 unlt. data.
Could the simplechoice plans be different?

Gonna rest and go to bed for now. Hope others can chime in.

I'm on the family value plan 2gb which is priced at $10 on t mobile. I've tested this before and made a wifi hot spot from my phone. I then connected from my laptop and it was able to go to websites without a t mobile error.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
8th August 2014, 05:40 PM   |  #13  
OP Senior Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 92

1,528 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephiK

I'm on the family value plan 2gb which is priced at $10 on t mobile. I've tested this before and made a wifi hot spot from my phone. I then connected from my laptop and it was able to go to websites without a t mobile error.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Wait, you tether with a 2GB data plan? If I was tethering my laptop (and I were), I'd blow through that amount within minutes before tmobile shows me the upsell page.
So maybe you're not tethering long enough to get the upsell page?

I'm 100% sure that I do not have a tethering plan. I am on the 500 mins value plan alone with the $20 ulmt data. No tethering, no simple choice, etc. Unless I am missing something...
8th August 2014, 05:43 PM   |  #14  
Recognized Contributor
Flag New York, NY
Thanks Meter: 5,393

13,290 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Wait, you tether with a 2GB data plan? If I was tethering my laptop (and I were), I'd blow through that amount within minutes before tmobile shows me the upsell page.
So maybe you're not tethering long enough to get the upsell page?

I'm 100% sure that I do not have a tethering plan. I am on the 500 mins value plan alone with the $20 ulmt data. No tethering, no simple choice, etc. Unless I am missing something...

Only sometimes.. and when I do tether I just do basic website browsing, nothing too hardcore. I've never noticed the screen come up after flashing my zip.
11th August 2014, 10:34 PM   |  #15  
Thanks Meter: 60

125 posts
Donate to Me
More
Googlebot addon doesn't work anymore?
14th August 2014, 07:18 AM   |  #16  
Flag Memphis, TN
Thanks Meter: 649

1,103 posts
More
Download and install Safari browser for Windows. You'll stop getting the upsell page.
The Following User Says Thank You to docnok63 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th August 2014, 07:18 PM   |  #17  
Flag Texas
Thanks Meter: 1,104

442 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by docnok63

Download and install Safari browser for Windows. You'll stop getting the upsell page.

Whats the url for this "upsell page"? I'd like to see if tethering is working for me. TIA
18th August 2014, 08:10 PM   |  #18  
OP Senior Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 92

1,528 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtime1

Googlebot addon doesn't work anymore?

Whats this? Never heard of it. I have to look into it. If its something from back in the gingerbread days, I highly doubt itd work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docnok63

Id prefer have desktop google chrome browser simply for the syncing feature across my desktop to mobile device. I also have the UserAgent extension and switched to safari and that does not bypass the upsellpage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Suave

Whats the url for this "upsell page"? I'd like to see if tethering is working for me. TIA

They look like this:

What I see on my laptop:

Mobile:
The Following User Says Thank You to lemonspeakers For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th August 2014, 07:33 AM   |  #19  
Flag Memphis, TN
Thanks Meter: 649

1,103 posts
More
Quote:

Id prefer have desktop google chrome browser simply for the syncing feature across my desktop to mobile device. I also have the UserAgent extension and switched to safari and that does not bypass the upsellpage.

I understand you're preference, but sometimes you have to go with what works. I know switching the user agent doesn't work, because the engine doesn't change. Safari is built on a different engine than any other Windows browser (CrApple proprietary). Thus, the T-Mo check doesn't work.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1531

Alternatively, you have to root your phone and install a custom ROM that bypasses the tethering check at the system level. If you're already on a custom ROM, either update to a newer version or switch your ROM until it works.

Spending money, PDAnet with the FoxFi Key works for most devices:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...?id=com.pdanet

Set it up and make sure it works with the trial, then buy the key. The one-time fee is MUCH cheaper than paying for tethering every month:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi
Last edited by docnok63; 29th August 2014 at 02:39 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
apn, t-mobile, tethering, tmobile, usa
Previous Thread Next Thread