Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,866 Members 51,718 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Way to disable capacitive keys on CM 11S?

Tip us?

scott62185
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 165
Default [Q] Way to disable capacitive keys on CM 11S?

So I'm on rooted stock CM 11S (would like to stay on 11S cause it's running so great and smooth). I don't use the capacitive keys nor the on screen nav bar, I use LMT launcher (which is indispensable, IMO , with this big beautiful phone). One problem, when typing on the keyboard (I use SwiftKey) I often inadvertently hit the capacitive home button when pressing the space bar. Now I know you can disable the capacitive keys on some custom roms, but is there a way to do it on 11S? Maybe with Tasker, but I couldn't see a way to do it. Maybe with Xposed, but I'm using ART (and loving it). Any ideas? Thanks!

Felimenta97
Old
Thanks Meter 2,318
I don't have the phone yet, but yes you can. In fact, it is, kinda, one of the selling points: choice.

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk

scott62185
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felimenta97 View Post
I don't have the phone yet, but yes you can. In fact, it is, kinda, one of the selling points: choice.

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk
Yeah, you can choose between on-screen nav bar or capacitive ones but I am not using either one (again, I'm using LMT launcher). So, the capacitive keys are enabled (specifically the home key as you can actually disable the back and menu key in settings by assigning their short press action to "none") and, again, when I type I often accidentally hit the home key and it takes me out of what I'm doing.

Felimenta97
Old
Thanks Meter 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott62185 View Post
Yeah, you can choose between on-screen nav bar or capacitive ones but I am not using either one (again, I'm using LMT launcher). So, the capacitive keys are enabled (specifically the home key as you can actually disable the back and menu key in settings by assigning their short press action to "none") and, again, when I type I often accidentally hit the home key and it takes me out of what I'm doing.
Disable Capacitive buttons, then disable software buttons with other tools (there is one, but can't remember the name now though) ,???, profit.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

DuckMcQUack
Old
Thanks Meter 102
Gravitybox, xposed module

Inviato dal mio A0001 utilizzando Tapatalk
Oneplus One - Recovery: TWRP recovery 2.7.1.1 - Rom: Stock CM 11s - Kernel: Stock - Bootloader: Unlocked

Past Devices: Nokia N95 8 gb - iPhone 4 - Galaxy Nexus - Galaxy S4

scott62185
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMcQUack View Post
Gravitybox, xposed module

Inviato dal mio A0001 utilizzando Tapatalk
Yeah, I thought of that but I'm using ART runtime.

tiny4579
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4,177
You can use expanded desktop leaving the status bar visible. The soft keys will show if you drag from the bottom of the screen though.

scott62185
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny4579 View Post
You can use expanded desktop leaving the status bar visible. The soft keys will show if you drag from the bottom of the screen though.
How do you leave the status bar visible with expanded desktop? Don't think you can with stock CM11S. Plus, when you bring up the keyboard the hidden nav nar automatically comes up with expanded desktop.

tiny4579
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4,177
Quote:
How do you leave the status bar visible with expanded desktop? Don't think you can with stock CM11S. Plus, when you bring up the keyboard the hidden nav nar automatically comes up with expanded desktop.
Yep that's true. It's under the display and lights menu and shows as expanded desktop style. Oh you can turn off backlights and edit the keylayout file.

webpatrick
Old
Thanks Meter 103
Quote:
Yeah, I thought of that but I'm using ART runtime.
Why not go back to Dalvik, ART is not final yet and it almost doesn't make any difference. I tried both but didn't see any advantages of ART just disadvantages of not be able to do some customizations, like you want to do now.

OnePlus One
ROM: Stock - UnLocked - TWRP - Rooted

XDA History
- HTC One X (unbranded)
- HTC Desire HD (unbranded)
- HTC HD2 NL (Vodafone branded)
- HTC TyTN II (Vodafone v1615 NL (Kaiser 130))
- QTEK 9100