Recognized Contributor
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 6,820

14,168 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by therightperson_630

It's fine, problem solved, went through the gruelling task of trying to back everything up without root = 40gb of stuff..
Already tried the tamper bit mod...it was stated in the first post (tamper bit mod) and the command screenshot was one of the steps when trying to boot the recovery, it still wouldn't boot because the bootloader wasn't unlocked..so, useless in my case.

Still lost some stuff but I got most of it back. I didn't have this problem on my xperia SP when unlocking the bootloader..if I remember correctly you could root, get recovery and custom rom all without unlocking bootloader. Unlocking the bootloader didn't erase the internal sd either..sure it might have been through an exploit rather than the proper way, but tbh I think I'd rather have that.

I'm not liking this "you've been given the keys" analogy...It's more like you've already settled into your new house and you're given the keys to unlock the front door when you're already inside...it's hassle more than anything.

The fact is that this is one of the single easiest devices to root because you can just unlock the bootloader with a single command. The problem is you've become accustomed to having to 'break into your phone' through exploits rather than just unlocking the bootloader. Having to go through an exploit is the hassle. I guess it's a matter of opinion though.

It might be a hassle that it wipes your user data upon unlocking the bootloader, but this information is readily available both here on XDA and on the OnePlus forums. Just a little research on the device while waiting for an invite (lets face it, we have time to research while waiting) would uncover this information, and the logical conclusion upon finding this out is the decision to unlock the bootloader before starting to use the device. Voila, no more hassle. World's easiest phone to root.

Transmitted via Bacon
27th August 2014, 04:35 PM   |  #22  
Florida
Thanks Meter: 2,027

5,957 posts
Donate to Me
What I am confused at is it the data from apps or data that is sitting on your sd card that most get worried about losing. I personally don't understand the big deal in re-doing my phone from scratch but I guess its because as a member of this forum for a while I understand to research my phone before I get it. I also know that if I want a bug free rom its best to start from scratch.

Like previously mentioned a little research prior to getting your phone will help a great bit but the only thing I think was off is that the Nexus was the easiest phone I ever rooted. You can go into bootloader and unlock by using volume and power keys. Some are you are very lucky that you never had to root and Evo 4G after first launch. Had to be about 30 steps easy
29th August 2014, 06:57 AM   |  #23  
Thanks Meter: 58

883 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by playya

What I am confused at is it the data from apps or data that is sitting on your sd card that most get worried about losing. I personally don't understand the big deal in re-doing my phone from scratch but I guess its because as a member of this forum for a while I understand to research my phone before I get it. I also know that if I want a bug free rom its best to start from scratch.

Like previously mentioned a little research prior to getting your phone will help a great bit but the only thing I think was off is that the Nexus was the easiest phone I ever rooted. You can go into bootloader and unlock by using volume and power keys. Some are you are very lucky that you never had to root and Evo 4G after first launch. Had to be about 30 steps easy

I think it's the fact when unlocking boot loader it wipes completely everything. Your left with no apps or data. I'm waiting for my OPO to turn up first think I will do is run OEM unlock. Sorted then I will flash away.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread