HTC M9 Roundup: Availability and Prices

The post HTC M9 Roundup: Availability and Prices appeared first on xda-developers. … more

OnePlus Late March AMAA Roundup

The post OnePlus Late March AMAA Roundup appeared first on xda-developers. … more

Galaxy S6 Pricing & Availability Roundup

The post Galaxy S6 Pricing & Availability Roundup appeared first on xda-developers. … more

Are You Excited for USB Type-C on Smartphones?

The post Are You Excited for USB Type-C on Smartphones? appeared first on xda-developers. … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[Q] Unable to Flash Custom Recovery, ADB not detecting device, etc.

16th August 2014, 11:53 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
23 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
More
First problem: when I do "adb devices" in command prompt, there are no devices listed. I am pretty sure I have installed all the proper drivers.

Second problem: I don't know if my boot loader is unlocked. The reason I think this is because when I used the manudroid19 toolkit to unlock the boot loader, it restores my system, but when I try to flash a custom ROM, nothing happens. People I've talked to say that its supposed to stay in fast boot mode for about a minute before it actually boots into TWRP, but nothing actually happens.

Third problem: when I press the root button in manudroid19, nothing happens. The cmd prompt just pops up for a split second then nothing. Plain out nothing happens. Root Checker says my phone is not rooted.

How would I resolve all of this?
Last edited by WunderWuffle; 16th August 2014 at 11:59 PM.
17th August 2014, 01:17 AM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Flag City of Freeway
Thanks Meter: 60
 
264 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
More
cm recovery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WunderWuffle

First problem: when I do "adb devices" in command prompt, there are no devices listed. I am pretty sure I have installed all the proper drivers.

Second problem: I don't know if my boot loader is unlocked. The reason I think this is because when I used the manudroid19 toolkit to unlock the boot loader, it restores my system, but when I try to flash a custom ROM, nothing happens. People I've talked to say that its supposed to stay in fast boot mode for about a minute before it actually boots into TWRP, but nothing actually happens.

Third problem: when I press the root button in manudroid19, nothing happens. The cmd prompt just pops up for a split second then nothing. Plain out nothing happens. Root Checker says my phone is not rooted.

How would I resolve all of this?

uncheck update cm recovery under settings..developer option..
17th August 2014, 01:20 AM   |  #3  
timmaaa's Avatar
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 8,852
 
18,702 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WunderWuffle

First problem: when I do "adb devices" in command prompt, there are no devices listed. I am pretty sure I have installed all the proper drivers.

Second problem: I don't know if my boot loader is unlocked. The reason I think this is because when I used the manudroid19 toolkit to unlock the boot loader, it restores my system, but when I try to flash a custom ROM, nothing happens. People I've talked to say that its supposed to stay in fast boot mode for about a minute before it actually boots into TWRP, but nothing actually happens.

Third problem: when I press the root button in manudroid19, nothing happens. The cmd prompt just pops up for a split second then nothing. Plain out nothing happens. Root Checker says my phone is not rooted.

How would I resolve all of this?

My first piece of advice: stop using a toolkit, it's clearly creating more confusion than it's actually helping.

When you're issuing the 'adb devices' command are you booted into Android? What happens when you issue 'fastboot devices' when you're in fastboot mode?

Transmitted via Bacon
17th August 2014, 03:16 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
23 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by paztine

uncheck update cm recovery under settings..developer option..

Its always been unchecked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaaa

My first piece of advice: stop using a toolkit, it's clearly creating more confusion than it's actually helping.

When you're issuing the 'adb devices' command are you booted into Android? What happens when you issue 'fastboot devices' when you're in fastboot mode?

Transmitted via Bacon

When I did adb devices, I was in Android iirc. I can't remember since the last time I did it was a day or two ago. Sorry. I am not very knowledgeable in this area. I have not done the fastboot device command.
Last edited by WunderWuffle; 17th August 2014 at 03:59 AM.
17th August 2014, 04:10 AM   |  #5  
timmaaa's Avatar
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 8,852
 
18,702 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WunderWuffle

Its always been unchecked.

When I did adb devices, I was in Android iirc. I can't remember since the last time I did it was a day or two ago. Sorry. I am not very knowledgeable in this area. I have not done the fastboot device command.

Ok, adb commands will only work while you're booted into Android or booted into recovery. Similarly, fastboot commands will only work while in fastboot mode. Let us know how you go, and if you get your serial number turned from the 'fastboot devices' command, issue this one:

Code:
fastboot oem device-info
And post the results.

Transmitted via Bacon
17th August 2014, 04:10 AM   |  #6  
demkantor's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag mpls
Thanks Meter: 3,028
 
6,154 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
More
I would start by reading up on fastboot, this phone is as easy to root as they come so as mentioned earlier a toolkit just ads to the hassle
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2277112
Here you will find information on how to get adb and fastboot working properly, my guess is its a driver issue right now. So check device manager and manually update to the appropriate drivers if needed
And here you will find the steps to manually root
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2788632
Best of luck!
17th August 2014, 04:27 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
23 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaaa

Ok, adb commands will only work while you're booted into Android or booted into recovery. Similarly, fastboot commands will only work while in fastboot mode. Let us know how you go, and if you get your serial number turned from the 'fastboot devices' command, issue this one:

Code:
fastboot oem device-info
And post the results.

Transmitted via Bacon

I just did that. Here are my results. It says that my device has been tampered with, and my boot loader is unlocked. And now, for some odd reason (I guess I was in fastboot while I was doing adb commands), it not detects my One. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by demkantor

I would start by reading up on fastboot, this phone is as easy to root as they come so as mentioned earlier a toolkit just ads to the hassle
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2277112
Here you will find information on how to get adb and fastboot working properly, my guess is its a driver issue right now. So check device manager and manually update to the appropriate drivers if needed
And here you will find the steps to manually root
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2788632
Best of luck!

Since I am not on my computer anymore, I will check these out and I will get back to both of you in a bit. Thanks!
17th August 2014, 05:15 AM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
23 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaaa

Ok, adb commands will only work while you're booted into Android or booted into recovery. Similarly, fastboot commands will only work while in fastboot mode. Let us know how you go, and if you get your serial number turned from the 'fastboot devices' command, issue this one:

Code:
fastboot oem device-info
And post the results.

Transmitted via Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by demkantor

I would start by reading up on fastboot, this phone is as easy to root as they come so as mentioned earlier a toolkit just ads to the hassle
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2277112
Here you will find information on how to get adb and fastboot working properly, my guess is its a driver issue right now. So check device manager and manually update to the appropriate drivers if needed
And here you will find the steps to manually root
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2788632
Best of luck!

I rooted the phone manually using command prompt and everything worked! I got TWRP recovery, and Root Checker says I'm rooted! Thank you very much! Doing it this way took my less than 7 minutes while using the toolkit took me more than three hours, and that didn't even work!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes