Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,319 Members 53,196 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Unable to Flash Custom Recovery, ADB not detecting device, etc.

Tip us?

WunderWuffle
Old
(Last edited by WunderWuffle; 16th August 2014 at 11:59 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Unable to Flash Custom Recovery, ADB not detecting device, etc.

First problem: when I do "adb devices" in command prompt, there are no devices listed. I am pretty sure I have installed all the proper drivers.

Second problem: I don't know if my boot loader is unlocked. The reason I think this is because when I used the manudroid19 toolkit to unlock the boot loader, it restores my system, but when I try to flash a custom ROM, nothing happens. People I've talked to say that its supposed to stay in fast boot mode for about a minute before it actually boots into TWRP, but nothing actually happens.

Third problem: when I press the root button in manudroid19, nothing happens. The cmd prompt just pops up for a split second then nothing. Plain out nothing happens. Root Checker says my phone is not rooted.

How would I resolve all of this?

paztine
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Default cm recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by WunderWuffle View Post
First problem: when I do "adb devices" in command prompt, there are no devices listed. I am pretty sure I have installed all the proper drivers.

Second problem: I don't know if my boot loader is unlocked. The reason I think this is because when I used the manudroid19 toolkit to unlock the boot loader, it restores my system, but when I try to flash a custom ROM, nothing happens. People I've talked to say that its supposed to stay in fast boot mode for about a minute before it actually boots into TWRP, but nothing actually happens.

Third problem: when I press the root button in manudroid19, nothing happens. The cmd prompt just pops up for a split second then nothing. Plain out nothing happens. Root Checker says my phone is not rooted.

uncheck update cm recovery under settings..developer option..

timmaaa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,292

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

My first piece of advice: stop using a toolkit, it's clearly creating more confusion than it's actually helping.

When you're issuing the 'adb devices' command are you booted into Android? What happens when you issue 'fastboot devices' when you're in fastboot mode?

Transmitted via Bacon
OnePlus One | crDroid/AK | TWRP 2.7.1.1

Do not PM me asking for assistance, that's what my Q&A thread is for!

WunderWuffle
Old
(Last edited by WunderWuffle; 17th August 2014 at 03:59 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by paztine View Post
uncheck update cm recovery under settings..developer option..
Its always been unchecked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaaa View Post
My first piece of advice: stop using a toolkit, it's clearly creating more confusion than it's actually helping.

When you're issuing the 'adb devices' command are you booted into Android? What happens when you issue 'fastboot devices' when you're in fastboot mode?

Transmitted via Bacon
When I did adb devices, I was in Android iirc. I can't remember since the last time I did it was a day or two ago. Sorry. I am not very knowledgeable in this area. I have not done the fastboot device command.

timmaaa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,292

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Its always been unchecked.

When I did adb devices, I was in Android iirc. I can't remember since the last time I did it was a day or two ago. Sorry. I am not very knowledgeable in this area. I have not done the fastboot device command.
Ok, adb commands will only work while you're booted into Android or booted into recovery. Similarly, fastboot commands will only work while in fastboot mode. Let us know how you go, and if you get your serial number turned from the 'fastboot devices' command, issue this one:

Code:
fastboot oem device-info
And post the results.

Transmitted via Bacon
OnePlus One | crDroid/AK | TWRP 2.7.1.1

Do not PM me asking for assistance, that's what my Q&A thread is for!

demkantor
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,761
I would start by reading up on fastboot, this phone is as easy to root as they come so as mentioned earlier a toolkit just ads to the hassle
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2277112
Here you will find information on how to get adb and fastboot working properly, my guess is its a driver issue right now. So check device manager and manually update to the appropriate drivers if needed
And here you will find the steps to manually root
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2788632
Best of luck!

WunderWuffle
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Ok, adb commands will only work while you're booted into Android or booted into recovery. Similarly, fastboot commands will only work while in fastboot mode. Let us know how you go, and if you get your serial number turned from the 'fastboot devices' command, issue this one:

Code:
fastboot oem device-info
And post the results.

Transmitted via Bacon
I just did that. Here are my results. It says that my device has been tampered with, and my boot loader is unlocked. And now, for some odd reason (I guess I was in fastboot while I was doing adb commands), it not detects my One. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by demkantor View Post
I would start by reading up on fastboot, this phone is as easy to root as they come so as mentioned earlier a toolkit just ads to the hassle
Here you will find information on how to get adb and fastboot working properly, my guess is its a driver issue right now. So check device manager and manually update to the appropriate drivers if needed
Best of luck!
Since I am not on my computer anymore, I will check these out and I will get back to both of you in a bit. Thanks!

WunderWuffle
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:

Code:
fastboot oem device-info
And post the results.

Transmitted via Bacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by demkantor View Post
Best of luck!
I rooted the phone manually using command prompt and everything worked! I got TWRP recovery, and Root Checker says I'm rooted! Thank you very much! Doing it this way took my less than 7 minutes while using the toolkit took me more than three hours, and that didn't even work!

Android L Will Have Data Encryption Turned On by Default

Android L, once it is eventually released, will featuredata encryption turned on by … more

Lock Apps and Functions Easily with Droid Protector

Access and security are some of the key issues facingmobile technology. Whether … more

ARChon Lets You Run Android Apps in Google Chrome Browser

Not too long ago, Google added the ability torun select Android applications on … more

Flyme OS Finds Its Way to the Google Nexus 5

Flyme OS is a heavily modified Android variantdeveloped by the Meizu team for their MX … more