Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,079 Members 50,605 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] I want to install a CM11 Nightly, but the flash always fails.

Tip us?

ecrab1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Smile [Q] I want to install a CM11 Nightly, but the flash always fails.

I have flashed ROMs a few times before on a couple different devices, but I have a couple questions.

1. When I try to flash a OnePlus One CM11 Nightly through TWRP, it always says "Failed". Is there some simple thing that I am forgetting to do?

2. Will it erase anything that is currently on my phone by flashing a nightly? (I don't care if I have to re-root, but I don't want it to erase anything)

Thanks!

timmaaa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,264

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrab1 View Post
I have flashed ROMs a few times before on a couple different devices, but I have a couple questions.

1. When I try to flash a OnePlus One CM11 Nightly through TWRP, it always says "Failed". Is there some simple thing that I am forgetting to do?

2. Will it erase anything that is currently on my phone by flashing a nightly? (I don't care if I have to re-root, but I don't want it to erase anything)

Thanks!
It won't erase anything from your virtual sd card. Of course you should wipe system/data/cache/dalvik cache when installing a ROM. Did you check the md5 of the ROM zip after downloading it? What's the full filename of the ROM zip?

Transmitted via Bacon
OnePlus One | crDroid/AK | TWRP 2.7.1.1

Do not PM me asking for assistance, that's what my Q&A thread is for!

Dzhedaj
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaaa View Post
It won't erase anything from your virtual sd card. Of course you should wipe system/data/cache/dalvik cache when installing a ROM. Did you check the md5 of the ROM zip after downloading it? What's the full filename of the ROM zip?

Transmitted via Bacon
Have you unlocked the bootloader?
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzhedaj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ecrab1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Yup!

Sent from my A0001 using XDA Free mobile app

Enea307
Old
Thanks Meter 31
How to see if i have a locked bootloader?

ecrab1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Okay, thanks. And what is the point of wiping the system/data if it is essentially the same ROM?

timmaaa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,264

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enea307 View Post
How to see if i have a locked bootloader?
Code:
fastboot oem device-info
But wouldn't you be aware if you unlocked it?

Quote:
Okay, thanks. And what is the point of wiping the system/data if it is essentially the same ROM?

Because it isn't the same ROM. CM11S and CM11 are similar but not identical.

Transmitted via Bacon
OnePlus One | crDroid/AK | TWRP 2.7.1.1

Do not PM me asking for assistance, that's what my Q&A thread is for!

inaudible101
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:

Thanks!
If you don't wipe your device it will fail on installing the zip. I am using TWRP and it failed no matter what unless I wiped first. You do not have to wipe you "sdcard" but you will lose your apps. I tried doing a data restore through TWRP and no matter what it would just hang on boot after. I ended up doing a backup through titanium backup and then restored after and it brought pretty much everything over including game data.

There might be a way around this in CWM, but I can say with some confidence there is not using TWRP. It's kind of a bad idea not to do a wipe before flashing a different rom anyways.
The Following User Says Thank You to inaudible101 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ecrab1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by inaudible101 View Post
If you don't wipe your device it will fail on installing the zip. I am using TWRP and it failed no matter what unless I wiped first. You do not have to wipe you "sdcard" but you will lose your apps. I tried doing a data restore through TWRP and no matter what it would just hang on boot after. I ended up doing a backup through titanium backup and then restored after and it brought pretty much everything over including game data.

There might be a way around this in CWM, but I can say with some confidence there is not using TWRP. It's kind of a bad idea not to do a wipe before flashing a different rom anyways.
Well, I may try with Titanium later. Thank you!!

ecrab1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaaa View Post
Code:
fastboot oem device-info
But wouldn't you be aware if you unlocked it?

Because it isn't the same ROM. CM11S and CM11 are similar but not identical.

Transmitted via Bacon
He may not know if he was successful in unlocking it.

And that makes sense about them being different. I just wish there was a way around it. They are more similar than the next OTA probably.
I wish I could just do a NANDROID backup and try it, but oh well.