Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Android App Review: Manage Your Connections Automagically – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. … more

Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] I want to install a CM11 Nightly, but the flash always fails.

OP ecrab1

3rd September 2014, 06:21 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
More
I have flashed ROMs a few times before on a couple different devices, but I have a couple questions.

1. When I try to flash a OnePlus One CM11 Nightly through TWRP, it always says "Failed". Is there some simple thing that I am forgetting to do?

2. Will it erase anything that is currently on my phone by flashing a nightly? (I don't care if I have to re-root, but I don't want it to erase anything)

Thanks!
3rd September 2014, 09:00 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 7,210

15,008 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrab1

I have flashed ROMs a few times before on a couple different devices, but I have a couple questions.

1. When I try to flash a OnePlus One CM11 Nightly through TWRP, it always says "Failed". Is there some simple thing that I am forgetting to do?

2. Will it erase anything that is currently on my phone by flashing a nightly? (I don't care if I have to re-root, but I don't want it to erase anything)

Thanks!

It won't erase anything from your virtual sd card. Of course you should wipe system/data/cache/dalvik cache when installing a ROM. Did you check the md5 of the ROM zip after downloading it? What's the full filename of the ROM zip?

Transmitted via Bacon
3rd September 2014, 09:31 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 68

380 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaaa

It won't erase anything from your virtual sd card. Of course you should wipe system/data/cache/dalvik cache when installing a ROM. Did you check the md5 of the ROM zip after downloading it? What's the full filename of the ROM zip?

Transmitted via Bacon

Have you unlocked the bootloader?
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzhedaj For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd September 2014, 03:01 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

8 posts
More
Yup!

Sent from my A0001 using XDA Free mobile app
3rd September 2014, 03:05 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 35

247 posts
How to see if i have a locked bootloader?
3rd September 2014, 03:21 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

8 posts
More
Okay, thanks. And what is the point of wiping the system/data if it is essentially the same ROM?

4th September 2014, 01:32 AM   |  #7  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 7,210

15,008 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enea307

How to see if i have a locked bootloader?

Code:
fastboot oem device-info
But wouldn't you be aware if you unlocked it?

Quote:

Okay, thanks. And what is the point of wiping the system/data if it is essentially the same ROM?

Because it isn't the same ROM. CM11S and CM11 are similar but not identical.

Transmitted via Bacon
4th September 2014, 06:21 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 53

112 posts
Quote:

Thanks!

If you don't wipe your device it will fail on installing the zip. I am using TWRP and it failed no matter what unless I wiped first. You do not have to wipe you "sdcard" but you will lose your apps. I tried doing a data restore through TWRP and no matter what it would just hang on boot after. I ended up doing a backup through titanium backup and then restored after and it brought pretty much everything over including game data.

There might be a way around this in CWM, but I can say with some confidence there is not using TWRP. It's kind of a bad idea not to do a wipe before flashing a different rom anyways.
The Following User Says Thank You to inaudible101 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th September 2014, 01:44 AM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member

8 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by inaudible101

If you don't wipe your device it will fail on installing the zip. I am using TWRP and it failed no matter what unless I wiped first. You do not have to wipe you "sdcard" but you will lose your apps. I tried doing a data restore through TWRP and no matter what it would just hang on boot after. I ended up doing a backup through titanium backup and then restored after and it brought pretty much everything over including game data.

There might be a way around this in CWM, but I can say with some confidence there is not using TWRP. It's kind of a bad idea not to do a wipe before flashing a different rom anyways.

Well, I may try with Titanium later. Thank you!!
5th September 2014, 01:59 AM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member

8 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaaa

Code:
fastboot oem device-info
But wouldn't you be aware if you unlocked it?

Because it isn't the same ROM. CM11S and CM11 are similar but not identical.

Transmitted via Bacon

He may not know if he was successful in unlocking it.

And that makes sense about them being different. I just wish there was a way around it. They are more similar than the next OTA probably.
I wish I could just do a NANDROID backup and try it, but oh well.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread