Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,702 Members 53,798 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Worth flashing?

Tip us?

therightperson_630
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Default [Q] Worth flashing?

Hi, got the 1+1 at last, was watching the rom dev and thought, this is an amazing phone...

Is it really worth changing rom and potentially losing a few features with bugs etc. I think the battery life is really good but I wonder if the custom kernels gain even more battery? I understand that different roms have new features etc. but this phone is pretty good already..I'm thinking about flashing and unlocking the bootloader, but it would only be to improve battery performance if at all possible..

- Does changing from the stock rom improve battery life at all?
- Any other things I should know before flashing?

Dzhedaj
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by therightperson_630 View Post
Hi, got the 1+1 at last, was watching the rom dev and thought, this is an amazing phone...

Is it really worth changing rom and potentially losing a few features with bugs etc. I think the battery life is really good but I wonder if the custom kernels gain even more battery? I understand that different roms have new features etc. but this phone is pretty good already..I'm thinking about flashing and unlocking the bootloader, but it would only be to improve battery performance if at all possible..

Some say they get better battery life, some say it becomes worse with custom kernels. Afaik, currently theonly custom kernel for CM11S is franco's. Some users (including myself) get random reboots with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzhedaj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

timmaaa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,298

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by therightperson_630 View Post

Battery life is very dependant on how each person uses their device, some people have an increase in battery life and some people have a decrease. The only way you're going to know for sure is by testing yourself. But you know the old saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Transmitted via Bacon
OnePlus One | crDroid/AK | TWRP 2.7.1.1

Do not PM me asking for assistance, that's what my Q&A thread is for!
The Following User Says Thank You to timmaaa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

therightperson_630
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Good to know, thanks. I'll see what franco's kernel offers me.. for now I'm a bit sceptical. I'd rather wait and see for a few months and when bugs have been fixed I'll make my decision then. They're going to offer Android L as well...before I'd flash my phones for more performance (htc dream G1/LG O2X/Xperia SP) but this phone is good enough already..

Thanks though