[Q] Wrong kernel : black screen, no fastboot, no adb, no factory reset

Search This thread

os_man

Sep 30, 2005
istanbul
www.androidbrick.com
Dear un1ocked, not programing, if your partition table is out of order (no boot partition, phone cant boot), you can send the flasher (MPRG8974.mbn, not hex, mbn format) and the bootpartition (8974_msimage.mbn) to the phone, the phone does not come alive but is ready complete system restore. Whats the exact problem ? Maybe there is an other way.

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

If you can get into fastboot mode then you are golden. If not, you really don't have a choice. JTAG is probally your only option or send it into OnePlus for repair.

Still talking about jtag ? :) Days passed, i think i proved no need for jtag as long as you have any port from the phone, cheers.

janguo

Nov 20, 2014
Dear un1ocked, not programing, if your partition table is out of order (no boot partition, phone cant boot), you can send the flasher (MPRG8974.mbn, not hex, mbn format) and the bootpartition (8974_msimage.mbn) to the phone, the phone does not come alive but is ready complete system restore. Whats the exact problem ? Maybe there is an other way.

os_man: I've been reading the forums (this and others) and I'm unable to find clear instructions on how to send just MPRG8974.mbn and 8974_msimage.mbn to the device. I've tried QPST 2.7 build 411, but to be honest, I have no idea what I'm doing, and it seems to want a .hex file (which I don't have)

I've looked through the QPST manual, and countless XDA threads, but haven't been able to get any further ahead.

Would you mind quickly explaining the process to do this? I haven't had any success getting the download tool from the Color OS image to flash my device, even though the drivers seem to be installed correctly. (I've tried on three XP boxes, one Vista, two Windows 7 and two Windows 8.1 computers) Both the ColorOS drivers and the Qualcomm drivers seem to work fine for me on every computer, and they all detect the phone just fine as 9008 sometimes as QHUSB__BULK, and sometimes as QHUSB_ARMPRG, but never any driver errors.)

Using the Qualcomm download tool in color.zip, the phone is detected, and appears to being processing the 8974_msimage.mbn, but then quickly turns red and stops.

Last edited:

os_man

Sep 30, 2005
istanbul
www.androidbrick.com
os_man: I've been reading the forums (this and others) and I'm unable to find clear instructions on how to send just MPRG8974.mbn and 8974_msimage.mbn to the device. I've tried QPST 2.7 build 411, but to be honest, I have no idea what I'm doing, and it seems to want a .hex file (which I don't have)

I've looked through the QPST manual, and countless XDA threads, but haven't been able to get any further ahead.

Would you mind quickly explaining the process to do this? I haven't had any success getting the download tool from the Color OS image to flash my device, even though the drivers seem to be installed correctly. (I've tried on three XP boxes, one Vista, two Windows 7 and two Windows 8.1 computers) Both the ColorOS drivers and the Qualcomm drivers seem to work fine for me on every computer, and they all detect the phone just fine as 9008 sometimes as QHUSB__BULK, and sometimes as QHUSB_ARMPRG, but never any driver errors.)

Using the Qualcomm download tool in color.zip, the phone is detected, and appears to being processing the 8974_msimage.mbn, but then quickly turns red and stops.

First of all, the port 9008 should turn to port 9006 (diag ) after the phone gets 8974_msimage.mbn and MPRG8974.mbn. No need for hex file as the mbn file is the same (mbn is qualcomm format). If drivers are ok as you say (seems so), oh and no need for Xp or Win7 32bit, you can do every step on a 64 bir 8.1 even ( as long as you work in Test Mode you can install any driver withou any problem).
The picture is taken from from Lenovo thread from a forum i cant remember, its for unbrick of Lenovo K910, but the way is the same. "flash_local.xml = Settings.xml in color os folder, you just correct the path's ( the path of 8974_msimage.mbn and MPRG8974.mbn ) by opening it. Then as decribed in the picture, unthick "Program MMC device", dont select it, we must first send mbn's, so only "Program Boot Loaders" should be selected. You just do first 3 steps, then hit Download, if the port turns from 9008 to 9006, the rest is easy, we will continue, please let me know if you can come this far.

Attachments

• YyN4snW.png
    YyN4snW.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,086

os_man

Sep 30, 2005
istanbul
www.androidbrick.com
First of all, the port 9008 should turn to port 9006 (diag ) after the phone gets 8974_msimage.mbn and MPRG8974.mbn. No need for hex file as the mbn file is the same (mbn is qualcomm format). If drivers are ok as you say (seems so), oh and no need for Xp or Win7 32bit, you can do every step on a 64 bir 8.1 even ( as long as you work in Test Mode you can install any driver withou any problem).
The picture is taken from from Lenovo thread from a forum i cant remember, its for unbrick of Lenovo K910, but the way is the same. "flash_local.xml = Settings.xml in color os folder, you just correct the path's ( the path of 8974_msimage.mbn and MPRG8974.mbn ) by opening it. Then as decribed in the picture, unthick "Program MMC device", dont select it, we must first send mbn's, so only "Program Boot Loaders" should be selected. You just do first 3 steps, then hit Download, if the port turns from 9008 to 9006, the rest is easy, we will continue, please let me know if you can come this far.
PS1: Qpst versiyon 411 is ok, dont change.
PS2: This can be also done with Download tool in color os rom folder, if that tool can send both mbn's ( done before), port turns to 9006. But try Qpst first.

kronborn1

Nov 12, 2014
PS1: Qpst versiyon 411 is ok, dont change.
PS2: This can be also done with Download tool in color os rom folder, if that tool can send both mbn's ( done before), port turns to 9006. But try Qpst first.

Could you please tell what this response mean in QPST?
Device mode = Sahara on port 10000
server event monitor enabled
path for selected COM port = "_HCD1!hub:0!dev:0"
Timeout waiting for device
device wait found 0 0

janguo

Nov 20, 2014

When I follow these steps using eMMC Download tool, I get the error: Image Download Failed. Cookie(if present) not received. My device does not change from 9008 to 9006.

I have also tried with the download tool included in color.zip, and while it recognizes my phone, I can see that it starts trying to process 8974_msimage.mbn, but the line quickly turns red, and then the text changes to a line that includes the word Sahara. I can't read the rest of the text, which I presume is in Chinese.

Any ideas?

Lanchon

Jun 19, 2011
hi,

my OPO is just fine. out of curiosity, i wanted to reach the qcomm download mode and see what can be done with it.

in particular, it seems that if the partition table or bootloader is borked, it goes into a mode in which it exports all of the eMMC as mass storage. at least that's what i understood by reading this thread.

is this true? what are the conditions?

also, if i press vol_up+power with the phone connected to my linux box i get this, the 9008 mode:
[747116.603750] usb 1-1.2.1: new high-speed USB device number 21 using ehci-pci
[747116.697320] usb 1-1.2.1: New USB device found, idVendor=05c6, idProduct=9008
[747116.697331] usb 1-1.2.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[747116.697337] usb 1-1.2.1: Product: QHSUSB__BULK
[747116.697342] usb 1-1.2.1: Manufacturer: Qualcomm CDMA Technologies MSM
[747116.697921] qcserial 1-1.2.1:1.0: Qualcomm USB modem converter detected
[747116.698150] usb 1-1.2.1: Qualcomm USB modem converter now attached to ttyUSB0

what is it? it does not expose the eMMC which would be a terrible security whole. but what is it? where is the SoC running from? internal factory ROM? is the cpu expecting code to place in ram and run? then i supposed it has to be signed by qcom right?

what are 8974_msimage.mbn and MPRG8974.mbn that you can send in this mode? are they a monitor/debugger loaded in ram or something gets flashed to the eMMC? are they generic or specific for opo or colorOS?

thanks!

kevinf28

Oct 29, 2012
hello all, my buddy has the OPO 64G and was in the same boat: regular/recovery boot stuck at boot logo. I have read all the page since netbuzz posted his legendary Color OS fix. which was successful (green) with Qualcom drivers. fastboot now has some chinese characters.

Fastboot Oem info reports:
(bootloader) Device tampered: true
(bootloader) Device unlocked: false
(bootloader) Charger screen enabled: false

Doing an oem unlock reboots back to logo, or back to fastboot with same state. I tried the fastboot boot twrp.img, which the chinese fastboot screen goes bright, but hangs there.

Q: My understanding is, that the COS method would unlock my device. It did NOT. Device still does not boot / unlock! What am I missing ??? I thought the included "persist.img" would fix the boot issue (http://xdaforums.com/oneplus-one/help/fix-brickloop-audio-fx-fc-efs-corrupt-t2879061/page2)

thanks again for all your hard work.

kevinf28

Oct 29, 2012
Here are some helper information for other lost peoples:

Valid partition table QHSUSB mode: Vol+ & Power while USB CONNECTED
Field Value
Device Properties
Device Description Qualcomm CDMA Technologies MSM QHSUSB__BULK
Device ID 05C6-9008
Device Class FF / FF
Device Protocol FF
Manufacturer Qualcomm CDMA Technologies MSM
Product QHSUSB__BULK
Supported USB Version 2.00
Current Speed High (USB 2.0)

Broken partition table QHSUSB mode: Vol+ & Power while USB CONNECTED
Field Value
Device Properties
Driver Description Qualcomm HS-USB Diagnostics 9006 (COM4)
Driver Date 10/31/2012
Driver Version 2.1.0.4
Driver Provider Qualcomm Incorporated
INF File oem14.inf
Hardware ID USB\Vid_05c6&Pid_9006&Rev_0000&MI_00
Location Information QHSUSB__BULK

appears in 9006 mode
Field Value
Device Properties
Driver Description Qualcomm MMC Storage USB Device
Driver Date 7/1/2001
Driver Version 5.1.2535.0
Driver Provider Microsoft
INF File disk.inf
Hardware ID USBSTOR\DiskQualcommMMC_Storage_____1.00

Fastboot: Vol+ & Power while USB DISCONNECTED
Field Value
Device Properties
Device Description Android Bootloader Interface
Device ID 18D1-D00D
Device Class FF / 42
Device Protocol 03
Manufacturer Google
Product Android
Serial Number 1bba5f35
Supported USB Version 2.00
Current Speed High (USB 2.0)

Note: this failed message (top right button) is 100% okay.. the MsM tool does an Md5sum (checksum) on the files in your LOCAL directory, which have been modified by Netbuzz (eg: persist.img). I have seen many people in this thread thinking it is checking your phone. It is NOT
attachment.php

Msm8974DownloadTool.exe detecting a device in a com port in slot 1.
attachment.php

It switches from "COM" to text in the screen shot right after it switches to 9006 mode (after the first 1-2 files).
attachment.php

MsM complete, shows device in green. Note: some people were confused why the buttons are greyed out still. This is intended for factory, so its constantly auto-detecting and flashing dozens of phones on multiple ports. "Stop" turns off this feature, so thats completely normal.
attachment.php

Attachments

• detected.jpg
    detected.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 35,543
  • done.jpg
    done.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 35,582
  • failed.png
    failed.png
    99.6 KB · Views: 35,714
Last edited:
Reactions: sarayevo

bsquirrell

Jan 18, 2013
I have read this thread from top to bottom, scared me witless. I haven't even unlocked the bootloader yet, Having trouble getting Fastboot on my computer, Windows 7-1 64 bit, and cmd says it cannot find the path specified, etc., etc., Now I'm not even sure if I want to try,, too chicken:confused:

kronborn1

Nov 12, 2014
Here are some helper information for other lost peoples:

Great work for classification OPO devices mate )
But I cannot find my One there.
It appears in system as :

Driver Description Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008
Driver Date 30.11.2006
Driver Version 2.0.3.6
INF File oem127.inf
Hardware ID USB\VID_05C6&PID_9008&REV_0000

I have following screens:
Before start:
Before.png
After start press:
InProgress.png
After 1st file progress done:
After.png

After progress end device disappears from Device Manager.
This happens with all drivers on all platforms I tried.
Probably you have some propositions to try ?

Last edited:

kevinf28

Oct 29, 2012
Great work for classification OPO devices mate )
Nut I cannot find there my One.
It appears in system as :

Driver Description Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008
Driver Date 30.11.2006
Driver Version 2.0.3.6
INF File oem127.inf
Hardware ID USB\VID_05C6&PID_9008&REV_0000
Location Information QHSUSB__BULK

I have following screens:
Before start:
View attachment 3043279
After start press:
View attachment 3043280
After 1st file progress done:
View attachment 3043281

After progress end device disappears from Device Manager.
This happens with all drivers on all platforms I tried.
Probably you have some propositions to try ?

I am using ColorOS drivers for Fastboot, and Qualcomm 2012 drivers manually installed for Q_* (right click on device in Hardware Manager), ensure all others are uninstalled. I am directly connected (NO USB HUB), to Windows XP machine.

It switches from "COM" to text in the screen shot right after it switches to 9006 mode (after the first 1-2 files).
attachment.php

Attachments

• flashing.jpg
    flashing.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 5,323
Last edited:

kronborn1

Nov 12, 2014
I am using ColorOS drivers for Fastboot, and Qualcomm 2012 drivers manually installed for Q_* (right click on device in Hardware Manager), ensure all others are uninstalled. I am directly connected (NO USB HUB), to Windows XP machine.

I see... I never got the 9006 mode enabled. I guess because of 1st file flashing interruption. I tried Qualcomm 2012 drivers too on XP, 7 and 2003 machines - behavior always the same...
Sometimes I see following screen:
Sahara.png

kevinf28

Oct 29, 2012
I see... I never got the 9006 mode enabled. I guess because of 1st file flashing interruption. I tried Qualcomm 2012 drivers too on XP, 7 and 2003 machines - behavior always the same...
Sometimes I see following screen:
View attachment 3043366

note: after it switches to 9006, i had to go back into device manager, and install the driver again. have you rebooted your PC ? I had to do that too, after the initial color drivers.

so, after it disapears from device manager, I assume you have unplugged and replugged the cable without hitting additional buttons? Absolutely nothing being shown in device manager sounds wrong IMO... maybe its hiding? Use a program like Aida 64 to look through all USB devices connected to system.

kronborn1

Nov 12, 2014
note: after it switches to 9006, i had to go back into device manager, and install the driver again. have you rebooted your PC ? I had to do that too, after the initial color drivers.
Could you please clarify when the PC reboot is needed ?
I have no any visual problems with drivers re-installing or updating ...
And I never got color driver working for me (
It always writing somwthing like
Driver have been installed! ErrorCode(10): 183. ErrorCode(16): 0x000000b7
InstallDriver terminated.

so, after it disapears from device manager, I assume you have unplugged and replugged the cable without hitting additional buttons?.
Nope - I always holding the Power button for 20+ seconds before re-switching ... May this is mistake ?

Absolutely nothing being shown in device manager sounds wrong IMO... maybe its hiding? Use a program like Aida 64 to look through all USB devices connected to system.
Sometimes if I did not press Power for >20sec it appears as Unknown device, but I cannot do anything with it in that state (

kevinf28

Oct 29, 2012
Could you please clarify when the PC reboot is needed ?
Sometimes if I did not press Power for >20sec it appears as Unknown device, but I cannot do anything with it in that state (

Reboot just after installing all the drivers for the first time.

get your device back to this:
"After 1st file progress done:
Attachment 3043281"

Check device manager for 9006 device / anything "unknown". Look at its properties for its hardware ID (a lot easier with Aida!!)... and see if it matches the device IDs I posted above.

Unplug and plug device back in without pushing any buttons.

Again check device manager / Aida.

jam90

May 18, 2013
Napoli
PROBLEM
You're on Windows 8.1 and the process goes like this:

1)
j08enp.jpg

2) then click start, and it goes like this

2cdaam8.jpg

3)and then, the device reboots itself as 9006, but msmdownload tool give you this error

1z1a1z6.jpg

SOLUTION

Just run Msm8974 Download Tool.exe as "Windows XP Service Pack 3" compatibility mod.

Last edited:
Reactions: jdfeos and Lanchon

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    EDIT 1/29/2015
    I am leaving the original post below the line, however please be advised that I created a new forum thread with updated instructions and workarounds for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users. This thread is located at: http://xdaforums.com/oneplus-one/general/guide-unbrick-oneplus-one-t3013732
    =====================================================================================================

OK, as promised I wanted to write up more detailed steps on how I unbricked my OPO. First, thanks to all who contributed, found the needed files and solution.

The solution is in fact to download Color.zip from https://mega.co.nz/#!BkpwyYSB!rkYSkFI28vFGuhtsIli-vyDdsb4ZZp1-MX1cLLtaiRo.
    After downloading, unzip the archive.

Next, Windows drivers. If you're like me you've already tried different drivers, including Qualcomm USB drivers for 9006 and 9008. My best advice is to uninstall the drivers you tried. Go to Device Manager, right click on the bricked USB device (QHSUSB_BULK or Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008) and go to Properties, click on Driver, then select Uninstall. Check the box to remove driver files, if prompted. Then, go to the extracted Color.zip folder and find Driver.iso. Extract Driver.iso. Inside the extracted folder find Setup.exe. Run Setup.exe to install the drivers. The installer is Chinese, but all you need to do is click through.

Second note about drivers if that I had the worst time trying to get things to work on my Windows 7 computers. Both Windows 7 and 8 block unsigned driver installations. I've tried overwriting these settings and spent half a day messing with it, and I never go the next steps to work properly. I ended up trying installing the drivers from Setup.exe and the following steps on my Windows 2003 server and things worked properly first time. I am not saying that you won't get this to work on Window 7 or 8, but if you're having troubles try Windows XP, that might make a difference.

Anyway, once you have the drivers straightened out, connect your phone to the computer, start it up by holding VolUp + Power to about 10 seconds, and let the computer do its thing. Don't install drivers if they are not installed by itself. Instead launch Msm8974DownloadTool.exe. It will scan all the COM ports and find the phone. That's the one line that looks different in the list. The list is just a list of your com devices. If you unplug the phone and move it to another port, or computer, it will show your bricked phone on a different line. There is no reason to click in or select at lines, the program knows where the phone is.

Clicking on "Enum" just rescans the busses. Clicking the big square button in upper right corner scans the phone and reports what's good and what's not. It takes a minute for the scan to finish.

If you don't see your devices, try unplugging/plugging in your phone a couple times, and rebooting it with VolUP + Power (hold 10 seconds). You will see it in Device Manager as well.

Anyway, once you see the phone in the list, click Start. You should see the programs starts writing different files to the phone. Each time it writes a file you'll see a progress bar. Once this is going you know you will be good to go... After all files are written, the line with your device will turn green. You're good, unplug and reboot your phone to ColorOS.

If there is a problems flashing the device, the line will turn Red. That's what I was getting on my Windows 7 after like 3 seconds after clicking Start. After moving to Windows 2003, everything worked like a charm.

Once you're on ColorOS and want to go to Cyanogenmod 11S, you have a few options. The easiest way if to use a toolkit from http://xdaforums.com/oneplus-one/development/oneplus-one-toolkit-manudroid19-gui-t2807418, or you can download an image manually from: http://xdaforums.com/oneplus-one/general/guide-return-opo-to-100-stock-t2826541 and run the following commands in fastboot mode:
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
    fastboot flash system system.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot flash cache cache.img
    fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    fastboot flash sbl1 sbl1.mbn
    fastboot flash dbi sdi.mbn
    fastboot flash aboot emmc_appsboot.mbn
    fastboot flash rpm rpm.mbn
    fastboot flash tz tz.mbn
    fastboot flash LOGO logo.bin

Make sure you have the proper image. I accidentally installed the 16GB version on my 64GB OPO first time and obviously didn't get 64GB of space.

That's about it. I think if people are still having problems then it's likely due to drivers, or Windows 7/8 issue. If you're still getting stuck, let me know, I'll see if I can help.
    Unbricked mine which was in "Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008"

I bricked my OPO today, it was shown as Qualcom HS-USB QDLoader 9008 in the device manager of my computer.

YOU ARE DOING THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK

Steps to unbrick (only if you are in 9008 mode) :
    1. Download: []https://mega.co.nz/#!BkpwyYSB!rkYSkFI28vFGuhtsIli-vyDdsb4ZZp1-MX1cLLtaiRo[]
    2. Open: Msm8974DownloadTool.exe
    3. One line should look a bit different then the other (in my picture you cannot see this cause mine is not in 9008 mode)
    4. Select the line looking different and click start.
    5. If there is no other looking line unplug your phone and press Vol+ & Power for about 10 seconds. After this replug your phone. And one line should look different.
    After this you are on ColorOS search the oneplus forums for introductions returning to cm.

PS: I cannot guarantee that it will work and that your device will brick harder ^^. For me it worked.
    Hi @os_man,

I can help you to find the 3 files you need .....

Promise us that you will teach us in details (step by step with image) , how to recover hard bricked 1+1 using QPST.
    ok?

here you will find the 3 required files...

Open the xml and you will find the partition details and mapping...

Go there
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/rom-official-4-3-coloros-v-2-0-0_beta.79203/

Download the file ..
    https://mega.co.nz/#!BkpwyYSB!rkYSkFI28vFGuhtsIli-vyDdsb4ZZp1-MX1cLLtaiRo
    807.3MB

View attachment 2900345

The exe Msm8974DownloadTool.exe might help , but I can not understand the Chinese lang

View attachment 2900361

@timmaaa, kindly help him to use QPST to solve this issue, If he get success, we can learn a new thing from him...
    Thanks

Of course i will, like i said i recovered a lenovo k910 before (qualcomm snapdragon 800) exactly in same position (blank screen, no lights, no bootloader, no fasboot) but i had all the necessary files like i said, now my opo is in qdloader mode 9008 too ( or 9006, not much a diffrent, 9006 is messed up partition table ). Let me start to work tomorrow (tonight im dealing with the encryted imei of oppo 7). I wish everything goes ok and i recover opo too, the knowledge after to share with who needs, promise. And Thank you.
    find me these 3 files, ill help you to recover your opo (mines too), opo should send us those files ( as moppo does it for find series)

MPRG8974.mbn
    patch0.xml
    rawprogram0.xml

All the other files , images i already have in my backups.
    And dont be so sorry, you flashed wrong kernel, ok it was a mistake, but many had their phones in 9008 too, they just wanted to return to color od from that silly cm rom's. Mine is dead too (has the diag port still, thank God), opo should, "must" even send us those files, the rest is on me,
    Greetings.

WRONG INFORMATION !
    Web is full of info how to recover from 9008 mode with the right files of course, why you keep saying that ???

Hi @os_man,

I can help you to find the 3 files you need .....

Promise us that you will teach us in details (step by step with image) , how to recover hard bricked 1+1 using QPST.
    ok?

here you will find the 3 required files...

Open the xml and you will find the partition details and mapping...

Go there
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/rom-official-4-3-coloros-v-2-0-0_beta.79203/

Download the file ..
    https://mega.co.nz/#!BkpwyYSB!rkYSkFI28vFGuhtsIli-vyDdsb4ZZp1-MX1cLLtaiRo
    807.3MB

color_os_official_opo.jpg

The exe Msm8974DownloadTool.exe might help , but I can not understand the Chinese lang

Msm8974DownloadTool.jpg

Yeah you can recover, with a jtag. If you know how to do it without jtagging the device please enlighten us.

Transmitted via Bacon
    @timmaaa, kindly help him to use QPST to solve this issue, If he get success, we can learn a new thing from him...
    Thanks
    I just noticed that it's showing up as QHSUSB_BULK on your PC, you're bricked. I believe the only possible solution is to have a jtag repair done on it. But, you're probably gonna have a hard time finding someone that does jtag repairs on this phone.

All in all, you've learned a really important (and expensive) lesson here. XDA is made up of device-specific sections, when you own a device you absolutely must stay within your device's subforum.

Transmitted via Bacon