Changing CM11S Performance profiles with Tasker - Can it be done?

Search This thread

Salty Wagyu

May 28, 2011
England
Note: I'm not referring to the CM Profiles such as Home, Work, etc.

I haven't purchased Tasker, nor have I used the program before. Is it possible to get Tasker to change CM11S kernel profile to Performance when screen comes on, and Power-saving profile during night hours? I am preferring Performance instead of Balanced at the moment because it makes quite a difference in responsiveness and smoothing out scrolling, but it's probably eating away at battery during non-use.

Or am I just better off waiting for a non-mpdecision custom kernel to be more stable and just use that instead? Franco for e.g.

Screenshot_2014-08-09-23-02-13.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Fruktsallad

butro

May 15, 2008
Houston
Yes, you can modify the performance profile using Tasker but I you need to be rooted to change it. This is how I am using Tasker to change my CPU profile when my screen is on and off. Obviously you can change CPU settings on your own accord.

Screen off (powersave mode):
(leave CPU at 0)
CPU governor to powersave
max frequency to 1036800
(everything else leave alone)

Screen on (balanced mode):
(leave CPU at 0)
CPU governor to interactive
max frequency to 2457600

You don't have to limit the CPU frequency, but I figured it would be the best way to maximize the benefits of powersave mode, not to mention restricting any apps to crank up the CPU while phone is sleeping.

I would not recommend using powersave mode normally. The phone will become very unresponsive. However, I am setting my phone to screen off setting if battery is between 0-15%. That may change to 10% if if ever becomes troublesome.

Here are all the different governor settings: http://tasker.dinglisch.net/userguide/en/cpu.html

Last edited:

butro

May 15, 2008
Houston
So I just updated my OPO to 30O and now Tasker says the CPU option is not available one my device.

Anyone know what is going on? Is there another option to use?

[UPDATE] Oops, I lost root.

Last edited:

Frankyg

Yes, you can modify the performance profile using Tasker but I you need to be rooted to change it. This is how I am using Tasker to change my CPU profile when my screen is on and off. Obviously you can change CPU settings on your own accord.

(leave CPU at 0)
max frequency to 1036800

(leave CPU at 0)
max frequency to 2457600

You don't have to limit the CPU frequency, but I figured it would be the best way to maximize the benefits of powersave mode, not to mention restricting any apps to crank up the CPU while phone is sleeping.

I would not recommend using powersave mode normally. The phone will become very unresponsive. However, I am setting my phone to screen off setting if battery is between 0-15%. That may change to 10% if if ever becomes troublesome.

Here are all the different governor settings: http://tasker.dinglisch.net/userguide/en/cpu.html
What about having one profile to set the CPU to Balanced mode when the screen is on, and having an exit task to set it to powersave?
I think I'll try that, but maybe with a delay of a minute or two before running the exit task.

butro

May 15, 2008
Houston
What about having one profile to set the CPU to Balanced mode when the screen is on, and having an exit task to set it to powersave?
I think I'll try that, but maybe with a delay of a minute or two before running the exit task.

That's how I have it set up but my profile is screen off. powersave when off, exit task (screen on) is back to balanced. I do like your wait a minute after screen off idea. I just implemented that. Thanks!

k.harish.r

Jan 15, 2015
Thanks, this is what I was looking for. But why only CPU 0, do we not have to repeat the same for CPU 1,2,3. I guess CPU number refers to respective cores.

And how much is tasker effecting the battery discharge being in background.

Last edited:

Giocarro

Dec 11, 2012
I had up and downs using Tasker to set CPU Governor, so ended up using Boeffla kernel which supports this kind of management natively as described in the FAQ page: http://www.boeffla-kernel.de/index.php/faq.

Boeffla kernel has both CM 11s and CM 12 versions, so you are covered whichever ROM you are running.

AAA118

Dec 10, 2014

(leave CPU at 0)
max frequency to 1036800

(leave CPU at 0)
max frequency to 2457600

i have set cpu , i have set governor to ondemand but don't know what to do with scheduler. Also is there screen off and on setting in it ?

butro

May 15, 2008
Houston
i have set cpu , i have set governor to ondemand but don't know what to do with scheduler. Also is there screen off and on setting in it ?

Not sure what you mean about the scheduler. But the screen off and on is controlled by a new profile. Add a profile and select event, then display off. When display off is active, you select your powersave task. The exit action of display off profile, or screen on, should be activating the ondemand task, returning the device to full speed.

I did it like this to have one profile to control that one action. More efficient than two profiles, one for screen on and off.

Feb 17, 2015
Time delay for task... how?

Hi there! How do you set the 1 minute delay to start task?? Thanks

For example, i have it set to display off, governor battery saving and 1036800 max freq and min 300000 freq, but i want it to start the task about 1 min later, becouse sometimes rigth away we go tether again, for some reason...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    it is possible, but not with tasker!
    i will write an app therefore ;)
    it's just a hour task or so, will upload it to the playstore later this week.
    i don't know exactly but i think you need to be rooted, but maybe i'm wrong, will look into it later

(leave CPU at 0)
    max frequency to 1036800

(leave CPU at 0)
    max frequency to 2457600

Note: I'm not referring to the CM Profiles such as Home, Work, etc.

I haven't purchased Tasker, nor have I used the program before. Is it possible to get Tasker to change CM11S kernel profile to Performance when screen comes on, and Power-saving profile during night hours? I am preferring Performance instead of Balanced at the moment because it makes quite a difference in responsiveness and smoothing out scrolling, but it's probably eating away at battery during non-use.

Or am I just better off waiting for a non-mpdecision custom kernel to be more stable and just use that instead? Franco for e.g.

Screenshot_2014-08-09-23-02-13.png
    U can modify the highest and lowest CPU frequency with tasker which is sort of what you're looking for