[CM12/CM12S][Wi-Fi] Enable 5GHz DFS Wi-Fi Channels

Search This thread

blackthund3r

Feb 27, 2012
London
Enable High 5GHz Wi-Fi Channels on CyanogenMod 12 & Cyanogen OS 12 (CM12S)
(and potentially other OnePlus One ROMs too, subject to testing)

Here in the UK I have a Wi-Fi router running on channels 136+132. This worked fine on CM11S when the phone was new out the box, but with CM12 I was unable to see (or connect to) the 5GHz network. It would only show the 2.4GHz network, as my router separately broadcasts 2.4 and 5GHz networks.

After messing with various modems and Wi-Fi drivers, I found that extracting the CM11S Wi-Fi drivers and Qualcomm configuration files and placing them on CM12 worked perfectly fine, and my phone can see my 5GHz Wi-Fi now.

I have no idea which channels are now enabled, or whether this will work for you, but do give it a try. If anything messes up just dirty flash a CM12 nightly or CM12S stock zip over the top to restore.

Download and flash the zip attached in recovery.

Thanks go to the CyanogenMod / OnePlus Teams. I didn't create these drivers or configuration files - I just extracted and tested them, and made the flashable zip.
Tested on CM12 nightly from 4th April, and CM12S released on 14th April build 12.0-YNG1TAS0YL.

Please post your results on this thread, ensuring your state which channels your Wi-Fi router broadcasts on. This way I can track which channels the phone has enabled under which circumstances.

Good luck!

-Chris

XDA:DevDB Information
CM12 5GHz Wi-Fi Fix, Device Specific App for the ONEPLUS ONE

Contributors
blackthund3r

Version Information

Created 2015-04-07
Last Updated 2015-04-14

Last edited:

ggoranov

Oct 16, 2014
I flashed it on CM 12.0-YNG1TAS0YL and it did not fix the issue. Now the phone cannot even see the 5GHz network

ggoranov

Oct 16, 2014
Very interesting. I flashed on the same build today and it's working as expected. What WiFi channels are your router running on?

I tried various channels and channels lengths, the result was the same. I have the feeling that I flashed a broken zip file (using TWRP), so I am trying again with the cyanogen recovery and the zip from this thread - androidpolice.com/2015/04/13/cyanogen-os-12-is-rolling-out-to-the-oneplus-one-download-the-zip-file-right-here (I still cannot post an external link :D)

Poulun

Apr 15, 2015
I tried flashing the wifi-fix zip in Cyanogen Recovery mode, (I am on OPO CM12, YNG1TAS0YL) - but got this error message:

E: footer is wrong
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted

What am I missing? :confused:

ezahn

Apr 15, 2015
Same problem here.
OPO with CM 12S.
Impossible to connect to any 5ghz network and impossible to flash the fix.
Not a good first impression. :(

blackthund3r

Feb 27, 2012
London
I tried flashing the wifi-fix zip in Cyanogen Recovery mode, (I am on OPO CM12, YNG1TAS0YL) - but got this error message:

Installation aborted

Same problem here.
OPO with CM 12S.
Use TWRP, not the stock Cyanogen Recovery.

Reactions: Mikekelso421

Pimpon60

Jan 19, 2008
Wifi 5Ghz

I cannot connect 5Ghz with cm12.
The same problem with S4 under CM12...
Perfect with patch on oneplus... Thank you

Last edited:

ezahn

Apr 15, 2015

Tnx blackthund3r, unfortunately I'd really prefer not to root or wipe the phone, so no TWRP for me it seems.
It's really sad there's no fix for this (or for the various problems plaguing the user profiles and cell data usage). :(

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

What channels are being used by your router? Have you flashed this patch? It's for the OPO only.

Hey! I tried changing channel from "Auto" to "48" and now it seems to connect.
Weird...

blackthund3r

Feb 27, 2012
London
Tnx blackthund3r, unfortunately I'd really prefer not to root or wipe the phone, so no TWRP for me it seems.
It's really sad there's no fix for this (or for the various problems plaguing the user profiles and cell data usage). :(

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

Hey! I tried changing channel from "Auto" to "48" and now it seems to connect.
Weird...

I confirm - I did static channel 44 ( UK ) and it works; when Auto fails

Lower channels may work because most phones supporting 5Ghz will do channels up to 64. Anything beyond 64 varies in legality between regions. I have to use high channels as I have 5GHz Desktops upstairs, but if you do not have a large property or all your 5GHz devices are downstairs you can use a low channel and the OnePlus should detect it.

spagg

Jan 22, 2014
Lower channels may work because most phones supporting 5Ghz will do channels up to 64. Anything beyond 64 varies in legality between regions. I have to use high channels as I have 5GHz Desktops upstairs, but if you do not have a large property or all your 5GHz devices are downstairs you can use a low channel and the OnePlus should detect it.

Thanks for answer. Wired thing is that 'Auto' was working fine with ColorOS 2.0.0i ( find7 ) but does not work with CM12.

blackthund3r

Feb 27, 2012
London
Auto may have chosen higher channels that the stock find 7 ROM has enabled (like CM11S) but are not enabled in the CM12S ROM. This is why I'm using the patch on CM12S.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Enable High 5GHz Wi-Fi Channels on CyanogenMod 12 & Cyanogen OS 12 (CM12S)
    (and potentially other OnePlus One ROMs too, subject to testing)

Here in the UK I have a Wi-Fi router running on channels 136+132. This worked fine on CM11S when the phone was new out the box, but with CM12 I was unable to see (or connect to) the 5GHz network. It would only show the 2.4GHz network, as my router separately broadcasts 2.4 and 5GHz networks.

After messing with various modems and Wi-Fi drivers, I found that extracting the CM11S Wi-Fi drivers and Qualcomm configuration files and placing them on CM12 worked perfectly fine, and my phone can see my 5GHz Wi-Fi now.

I have no idea which channels are now enabled, or whether this will work for you, but do give it a try. If anything messes up just dirty flash a CM12 nightly or CM12S stock zip over the top to restore.

Download and flash the zip attached in recovery.

Thanks go to the CyanogenMod / OnePlus Teams. I didn't create these drivers or configuration files - I just extracted and tested them, and made the flashable zip.
    Tested on CM12 nightly from 4th April, and CM12S released on 14th April build 12.0-YNG1TAS0YL.

Please post your results on this thread, ensuring your state which channels your Wi-Fi router broadcasts on. This way I can track which channels the phone has enabled under which circumstances.

Good luck!

-Chris

XDA:DevDB Information
    CM12 5GHz Wi-Fi Fix, Device Specific App for the ONEPLUS ONE

Contributors
    blackthund3r

Version Information

Created 2015-04-07
    Last Updated 2015-04-14
    I had the same issue with the Aerohive AP at work, this fixed it. Thanks!

Installation aborted

Same problem here.
    OPO with CM 12S.
    I confirm, the fix works after I flashed the good CM12. My router is set to channel 48 and the phone connects without a problem.
    Nevertheless, when I was with oxygen os (the oneplus lollipop) and CM11S I had no problem connecting to the router even the channel was set to auto. It should be a good idea CM to insert a good driver with the next update.
    was on 12s and it would not see my ssid. Flashed DU rom booted no luck, then installed your zip. booted no luck, rebooted again and now it worked perfectly. Thanks