Thumbs up Optimus 4x HD Custom ROM comparison thread

OP FunkyRasta

30th September 2014, 08:05 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 73

217 posts
Hi there,
This thread is an experiment, so far no "best ROM" threads were allowed on XDA. They've all led to flaming and mindless fanboyism. So to keep this clean, here's what a good post would look like:

[Name of the rom you're talking about, preferably link to the thread]
[How long have you been using it, with what kernel, how you use your phone]
[Pros of the ROM, features you use ( etc. Active Display, Locksreen Notifications)]
-
-
-

[Cons of the Rom]
-
-
-

[Few words from you, overall experience]
[Eventually, comparison with other ROM you used]

BTW: No need to use brackets, they're there to show you the layout. KEEP POSTS CLOSE TO THE LAYOUT !

MOST IMPORTANT THING : Things like " this rom sucks !!! it lags like hell !! battery drain !! Oh god it's so bad" are NOT a good criticism ! GOOD criticism would be "CPU keeps being stuck at low frequency sometimes, there's no trace of it in logs, I've checked my wakelocks but battery is still poor" . If you say " This rom is unstable" say what bugs you encoutered ! If you say "it has many great features ", say what features you use !

The point of this thread is to let other users know what to expect of each ROM, let them see differences between them. Not to make them confused because everyone says "XYZ is the best !! flash itt !!! "
Seriously guys... Don't write anything like this... just don't.

Be good users and thread is here to stay, be reckless and it will be prohibited once more ! Also, our device ROMs only !
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FunkyRasta For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th September 2014, 08:05 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 73

217 posts
So lemme start

Official Cyanogenmod 11 nightlies

I've been using it for around month now, with stock kernel, updating daily with every nightlie.

Pros:
-The most stable ROM for me. It has much less freezes and lags then other. Basically my phone dislikes p880-dev based ROMs, I believe it is faulty, other user report no such problems as mine.
-No CPU cores freezing at minimum frequiency ( again , problem that seems to affect me and only me :/ )
-Fast unlock times
-Demetris is doing hell of job, nearly every nightly updates kernel for our device with serious tweaks and fixes !
-For me, not even a single bug found !

Cons:
-Not the most feature rich, but has the basics
-No crazy optimization (Linaro, -O3, custom toolchains etc) but this is a minor thing, not really noticable

So I've been using this because my phone is somehow very unstable ( something is wrong with it ) and this ROM gives me stability to use it as a daily driver.
Last edited by FunkyRasta; 30th September 2014 at 08:12 PM.
30th September 2014, 08:43 PM   |  #3  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag Baden-Württemberg
Thanks Meter: 5,422

2,561 posts
Donate to Me
More
Alright, my turn

I'm running SlimKat

I've been running it for..... dunno... as soon as we had CM11 up and running properly
Am running my own kernel (none of the official (released) ones, though )

Pros
  • Beautiful UI (Dark Slim, reduced density,...)
  • Nice features (like SlimPie or heads-up)
  • Not resource hungry (Low RAM usage from framework)
  • Good performance
  • Grouper blobs

Cons
  • Some bugs here and there (But AFAIK they're all my own fault )

Now, a general info about this thread:
We are from now on allowing ROM comparison threads (at least for now, we are going to revisit this decision sometime later). But, comments like "xyzROM sux, abcROM iz da best!!!" are of no use, and can/will be considered spamming. I guess we're all mature enough to have a normal conversation without insulting other devs.
So please, let's keep it fact based
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to laufersteppenwolf For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd October 2014, 11:32 PM   |  #4  
Flag Murcia
Thanks Meter: 1

4 posts
Greetings from Spain.
The best stock, Zaiden. Fast, stable, everything works fine, perfectly.

I've spent a week with nameless, well overall, although sometimes it freezes and gave lag, but fine. I think with the CM kernel v.10 Iodak do better, I think.

Today I put the CM11 nightly, 29/09, and was pleasantly surprised, very well. Super fast at all.

I am very new to the rom and although I have to use Google Translate, I learn a lot in this forum.

greetings
The Following User Says Thank You to jrcquinito For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th October 2014, 10:28 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
For me Beanstalk and Liquid Smooth's KitKat versions have performed the better, for Beanstalk i used the Werewolf Kernel since it's the one i normally use when i flash custom roms and has always given me the least issues with a good performance, but has its crashes as usual and camera wasn't recording at all. Recently i flashed Liquid Smooth and am working with its stock kernel, it performs very good, i don't play big graphics games i think (Clash of Clans and Tiny Death Star aren't exactly the most demanding games for android) but it hasn't crashed, no crazy reboots, apps don't error and fail close and also has a regular battery life which is hard to come by when flashing custom ROMs normally.
9th October 2014, 12:36 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 2

13 posts
Just started using the Lego Rom. It's really nice. Also, "Your phone is now bricked" made me laugh
I really like the kernel tweak tool. I've been playing around with the settings to see how much on screen time I can squeeze out of my battery still on stock kernel. I'm thinking of trying out Wolf's kernel eventually.

Sent from my LG-P880 using XDA Free mobile app
9th October 2014, 11:06 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 234

832 posts
More
I want to try lego but it hasnt been updated for 3 months.

Sent from my Optimus 4X HD
9th October 2014, 05:22 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 2

13 posts
Try it, it's pretty sweet. I think wolf said he would be back to continue it's development, and that he's just busy. The only thing that I found doesn't work, is taking a snapshot, and when you turn the phone on it's side, sometimes the messeges screen gets messed up, but other than that, everything works for me
Without tweaking the kernel, I got 3 hours of on screen time. I had wi-fi on the whole time, browsed reddit, and was messeging a lot.

Sent from my LG-P880 using XDA Free mobile app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread